Judging Bias Against The Scouts?

i think everyone knows that there was a major judging bias against the scouts in the 90's.

Hardly. Sorry my misguided fellow drum corps fan, though impossible to prove, I would venture to state that most of us that were fans then, before, and after would not agree with this statement. Based on my belief that they should not have won in 1988, I could claim bias against SCV, etc. But it doesn't matter. My opinion is just that. SCV 1st in 1988, Madison 2nd, or Madison 1st, SCV 2nd. After going back and revisiting when I am feeling nostalgic, though I still think SCV delivered the better total package, but I can see Madison winning and call it subjective judging.

This topic has been discussed many times. The system is not perfect. I find that when I look back at older shows, my bias has faded and I largely agree with all placements year after year. It is hardest to accept someone's corps not placing where they think they should when in the heat of battle.

Have always felt Madison was in the right placement. If I disagreed with the finals order, the difference was only one place too low, or sometimes one place too high.

Glad too see them working their way up. Best of Luck Scouts in Bloomington. Kick some a##.

Tigger

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't speak for the '90s, but I think the Scouts of the past six years have been ranked pretty much where they belong.

I also agree that the OP should retitle his post. I too thought Jeff or Dann was making a statement - which would be VERY unusual for them.

While we're at it, I'd be very interested in learning more of the OP's background. Call me skeptical.

I marched in the mid 80's and remember very well the boos (against the judges) coming from the crowd as scores were announced, so it goes way back.

The Scouts have always been loved by the crowd, even when they've been dirty, they're just cool, so are the Troopers.

Judges don't always factor cool in to the equation so it can appear that they are getting ripped off.

Usually, I think the judges are right but that doesn't mean I share their taste.

There may have been a period during the 90's where the tastes of the judges shifted away from the Madison sound of loud, aggressive, edgy.

I think that's a mistake though. Many great musicians have their own distinctive sound which defines them. So... likewise, I don't think all corps should have to sound the same either.

Edited by zentropa

I have tried to retitle; however, it will not allow you too. When you edit it only allows for the body to be changed. That said, the title reads "Scouts claim to judging bias" and as you just saw a few posts ago....a Scout did claim a bias in the 90's so the title is acurate.

If I could retitle...I would...Don't want to send the wrong message

There was no bias in the 90's either. They had some amazing shows in the 90's but Scott Stewart refused to give in and move in the direction that DCI/the judging community/whoever wanted drum corps to go in. Good for him. He was always more concerned in entertaining than scoring, and the results were obvious, just listen to the crowd response at the end of 93, 94, 95, 99. Great stuff. I've never really understood how they didn't win GE everything in the 90's. Isn't GE in a nutshell a corps ability to affect the crowd?

Other corps did harder things better than the Scouts. Period. I have no doubt that Scott Stewart believed that his direction was the best, but it eventually caught up to the corps. They're trying to make their identity click today, and they're making progress, but there's no bias.

And I thought Scouts didn't care about scores?

Isn't GE in a nutshell a corps ability to affect the crowd?

No. GE is about selling the show, about making it work, and about the difficulty therein. It has nothing to do with crowd response.

And what about people like myself who were completely bored with a show like 95 or 99? If the crowd's opinion counts, then what about my personal opinion?

(Okay, the last two minutes of 95 were magical. I'll give them that.)

Edited by Pinwiz

You know, I was always under the impression (having marched under the Madison umbrella) that the Scouts didn't care what the judges thought or about scores or placements. Maybe I was misinformed. Although it has been entertaining listening to all the Scouts alums cry fowl this year about judges as to why the Scouts aren't in the top 12.

But they don't care about scores.

I have tried to retitle; however, it will not allow you too. When you edit it only allows for the body to be changed. That said, the title reads "Scouts claim to judging bias" and as you just saw a few posts ago....a Scout did claim a bias in the 90's so the title is acurate.

If I could retitle...I would...Don't want to send the wrong message

I can do it for you - PM me with what you want it to be.

Mike

And I thought Scouts didn't care about scores?

Shhhhhhh.... :tongue: