Anyone catch Hopkins comments at quarterfinals?Bluecoats mic malfuncti

I didn't really see anything wrong with Hop's comments. He was being honest about the design of the show; I don't think he was calling out his kids, or disgracing their efforts. As others mentioned, glad to see him admit the problems with the show that I and many others have been citing since early season.

I agree. In fact, he even said something to the effect that this was one of the best group of performers his corps has had for a while. Hardly an insult to the kids at all.

I get the feeling that if, on a sunny day, George said "the sun is shining today".... some folks would attach some sinister meaning to those words, simply because it's George Hopkins saying the words. "How DARE he insult those of us who like cloudy days"......LOL

Fran

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no! Here we go again! Take the entire context, please. Hoppy was clearly blaming himself. He said he wished there were some changes he didn't make. Please don't start a controversy over something like this.

If you're referring to my comments that is just the way I took it. I appreciate him being honest but thought he probably shouldn't have said that with the season not being over yet.

Not starting anything but stating how I took it and I am actually thinking about the kids on the field.

I agree. In fact, he even said something to the effect that this was one of the best group of performers his corps has had for a while. Hardly an insult to the kids at all.

I get the feeling that if, on a sunny day, George said "the sun is shining today".... some folks would attach some sinister meaning to those words, simply because it's George Hopkins saying the words. "How DARE he insult those of us who like cloudy days"......LOL

Fran

Again, my problem is when he makes a comment that this show doesn't work, to me personally that is insulting the kids on the field on who are trying to make it work. Please try to see where I am coming from before trying to accuse me of crucifyin hoppy. it is my opinion if you don't agree with it that's fine but at least try not to come after me saying I am against the man. That is NOT the point of my comments.

His comment to me about them being one of the best group of performers he has had for awhile, was true, the horn line once again was incredible.

If you're referring to my comments that is just the way I took it. I appreciate him being honest but thought he probably shouldn't have said that with the season not being over yet.

Not starting anything but stating how I took it and I am actually thinking about the kids on the field.

Lancerlady...I have read many of your posts (and I know you speak and mean well), but I am concerned that this will get snowballed. I thought what he said was very brave, also. I think his comments this year are much better than the ones he had with Delucia last year. This year, he seem to acknowledge and be more open ears to the criticism. takes a man to do that and I have a lot of respect for Hoppy. I disagree lately with a lot of what he has done, but that pales in comparison to what he has done for this corps and the activity since he has run the Cadets.

Fran

yeah Hop was all about taking the fall, not the kids. I give him props there. as for Coats, I liked the beginning much better without the bad Buffer wannabe

yeah Hop was all about taking the fall, not the kids. I give him props there. as for Coats, I liked the beginning much better without the bad Buffer wannabe

See, I like the beginning with the bad Buffer wannabe better (say that 5 times fast). I love how it sets the tone. The beginning just kind of sits there flat without it, IMO.

I also noticed in his comment that they are coming out next year as the "holy name cadets" and that they are going to "Slow it down a bit."

I am in the same court as you.I hope what he means by that is he is going to be less innovative and be more drum and bugle corps.

Last years Cadets show would have been the top DCI show ever had they left the narration out of it.That horn line had some great things going for it.

I do feel like Hopkins was taking the blame for his mistakes this year and not passing them off to the kids.I thought by point blank saying no the show was not working for them was a mistake.I think what he should have said is that we have made some mistakes along the way and are trying our best to fix them this week.Its like he has just given up on the season.

Again, my problem is when he makes a comment that this show doesn't work, to me personally that is insulting the kids on the field on who are trying to make it work. Please try to see where I am coming from before trying to accuse me of crucifyin hoppy. it is my opinion if you don't agree with it that's fine but at least try not to come after me saying I am against the man. That is NOT the point of my comments.

His comment to me about them being one of the best group of performers he has had for awhile, was true, the horn line once again was incredible.

I'm a big hockey fan. Hockey players give the WORST interviews in sports. In fact all player interviews are pretty bad. In a similar format I was just surprised to see he actually told the truth. OF COURSE there are things you'd love to change if you had a couple extra weeks!

His actual quote was something more like this:

"Is the show what you wanted?"

"No, I think if we had gone back and made the changes earlier we would have been better off."

I'm also wondering about that comment regarding the ending. Maybe the staff preferred the epilogue-style ending but gave the kids "what they deserve" at the end since they might not have done better competitively anyway?

Lancerlady...I have read many of your posts (and I know you speak and mean well), but I am concerned that this will get snowballed. I thought what he said was very brave, also. I think his comments this year are much better than the ones he had with Delucia last year. This year, he seem to acknowledge and be more open ears to the criticism. takes a man to do that and I have a lot of respect for Hoppy. I disagree lately with a lot of what he has done, but that pales in comparison to what he has done for this corps and the activity since he has run the Cadets.

I appreciate what you're saying and I am trying to stop it from getting snowballed, it was just how I took it. I don't know if what I was said was taken out of context or what but I just don't see why it's hard to understand how I get that from the comments. I have personally met and talked to the man so I respect him as well. But I hope people try to get where I am coming from instead of trying to turn this into as you say snowball...thread.

Edited by Lancerlady

I thought it was a disgrace to the kids on the field trying to make the show work for him.

I can't believe he would say such a thing so close to finals and then turn around and try and promote next years show. :smile:

I didn't like their show but appreciated the horn line and drum line...but the narration was too annoying and the two "so called character actors", very odd staging to me.

I agree and will add this:

The "actors" had the "try to look busy" look, like someone about to get fired. My bet is there is alot more going on behind the scenes then anyone is talking about. I would not be surprized if some of the kids stopped drinking the kool aid a few weeks ago.

The drum majors comments at Atlanta gave me the vibe that the kids were not upset with the fans so much as trying to keep the ship from munity in spite of Hoppy.

George seemed to have a mouth full of crow tonight and I don't think it's the fans or people making comments on DCP that served it up to him. There are 150 "kids" who pay his house note and put food on his table. I think George has had to make consessions to the kids and I'm not talking about tee shirts.

Who knows, maybe he is sly enough to drop the narration for finals and come out smelling like a rose.