How Phantom will win

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is with all the bando discussion about scores on here, I don't get it.

Phantom won't win, period. And no corps is going to get cleaner, if anything they'll be dirtier. If you aren't clean already, you can't just cram for the test tomorrow and think you're going to pass.

To which any BD fan can say 1976, 1977, 1979, 1980, 1982, 1986, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1999, 2003, and 2003, and any Cavaliers fan (who people seem to not be talking about as ALSO finishing ahead of Phantom) can say 1992, 1995, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, and 2006.

Except in most of those years they were winning in the prelims. In 96 Phantom wasn't winning until Finals night.

The Blue Devils visual program is not based around sets/formations. It is based around constant movement. They move from line to form very quickly and seemingly effortlessly. They also engage in an amazing concept called simultaneous responsibility. In other words, they play AND move, the The Cavaliers do one or the other for the majority of their show. If BD's visual program would have been top in 1998, then that does not bode well for Phantom. Their visual program is based around sets/formations that corps have been doing for the past 20 years. Oh, and did you miss the fact that one of The Cavaliers key drill moves is one they first did in 1990? There is nothing "new" about what any of the rest of top 6 is doing.

Well, we're all entitled to a wrong one every now and then...

Somehow I doubt that...

Not according to the judges as of yet.

Then wait until you have more cents... (ba-doom-ching!)

What exactly is BD doing that is so ground-breakingly new that I should be ####### my pants? I almost fell asleep last night in the theater. And from what I could gather from the rumbles and murmors after all the corps had performed, no one can understand why PR gets stuck with the stigma of "no visual program." (including myself) Give it a rest. Yes, in the past (late 90's, early 2000's) their visual programs were nasty. But since then, not so much. just like you said, you are entitled to the wrong opinion every now and then....

No matter the outcome, PR '08 will have a show for the ages after August 9th. BD '08...well...maybe they could come up in a conversation or two 10 years from now....

The judges, past, present & future I believe (IMHO only) will never let Phantom win a sole title.

No matter how good their shows are or will be, I just don't ever see them (judges, any year - place ecept 96) favoring Regiment in anything except percussion. After following the activity for over 30 years, participating in it in various levels - even being an adjudicator/brass judge for similar music events. I have come to the conclusion that the judges have & have had a pre-determined winner (in minset & opinion of their own tatses) long before they even step on the field. If design and 'visual' is where drum corps has evolved to, l;ets stop writting brass & perc charts and just do silent drill on the field...

Man if those interviews with the judges interviews didn't make it seem that way, then I am at a los for their ho-hum, lack lustre responses when asked about the scoring. I don't agree with the scores AT ALL last night...... but like anyone here or anywhere else on planet Earth (or "X" for that matter) really, REALLY cares what I think? NOT!!!!

So, kudos to Regiment & Crown for putting on powerful, passionate, visually appealling shows -- ones that people will be talking about & watching over & over for year to come, rather than looking at a trophy gathering dust that no one in the general populous will ever see except BD folks.

But that's ok......... I'll take Crown or Regiment's shows anyday rather than absurdity...... seems like common sense.

Except in most of those years they were winning in the prelims. In 96 Phantom wasn't winning until Finals night.

Exactly, kind of like Blue Devils are this year...

The judges, past, present & future I believe (IMHO only) will never let Phantom win a sole title.

No matter how good their shows are or will be, I just don't ever see them (judges, any year - place ecept 96) favoring Regiment in anything except percussion. After following the activity for over 30 years, participating in it in various levels - even being an adjudicator/brass judge for similar music events. I have come to the conclusion that the judges have & have had a pre-determined winner (in minset & opinion of their own tatses) long before they even step on the field. If design and 'visual' is where drum corps has evolved to, l;ets stop writting brass & perc charts and just do silent drill on the field...

Man if those interviews with the judges interviews didn't make it seem that way, then I am at a los for their ho-hum, lack lustre responses when asked about the scoring. I don't agree with the scores AT ALL last night...... but like anyone here or anywhere else on planet Earth (or "X" for that matter) really, REALLY cares what I think? NOT!!!!

So, kudos to Regiment & Crown for putting on powerful, passionate, visually appealling shows -- ones that people will be talking about & watching over & over for year to come, rather than looking at a trophy gathering dust that no one in the general populous will ever see except BD folks.

But that's ok......... I'll take Crown or Regiment's shows anyday rather than absurdity...... seems like common sense.

Whatever zzzzzzzzz

And I will take 12 titles anyday compared to your 1. "Absurdity" is you attacking BD, the most successful drum corps in history, just because your corps isn't winning. I don't see any BD fans in here making personal attacks against Regiment. Show some class.

Edited by franklinjake

What exactly is BD doing that is so ground-breakingly new that I should be ####### my pants? I almost fell asleep last night in the theater. And from what I could gather from the rumbles and murmors after all the corps had performed, no one can understand why PR gets stuck with the stigma of "no visual program." (including myself) Give it a rest. Yes, in the past (late 90's, early 2000's) their visual programs were nasty. But since then, not so much. just like you said, you are entitled to the wrong opinion every now and then....

No matter the outcome, PR '08 will have a show for the ages after August 9th. BD '08...well...maybe they could come up in a conversation or two 10 years from now....

And that's fine if that's YOUR opinion of how you will supposedly perceive these shows 10 years from now, though I frankly laugh at the allegation of what will/will not be remembered and/or revered 10 years from now. There is at least one show EVERY year that a bunch of people say that about, only to have the bar raised the next year and thus the prior show hardly gets mentioned.

For me, Phantom will be rememberd via comparison to shows like 1989, 1996, and 2006, but not as a show unto itself. Blue Devils, this year, will be a memory unto themselves for me because what they are doing this year is something they have never done before to this point. This could be a one-year anomoly in show design for them, or the tip of the iceberg. Thus, it will either be the one year they completely departed from their norm, or the year that ushered in their new design style. In either case, it will stick out to me, in the same way that 1994 sticks out for me with them in terms of the change in design from that point forward.

I want to be a DCI judge so I feel like being "Absurd" - and classless at the moment so ....FO