How Phantom will win

No, BD visual score will drop and other corps score will rise.

If BD's score drops than the other scores at most will stay the same. The reason they received such high scores is because they left no room giving cavies and crown such high scores to begin with. The judges' main goal is to get the placements right. It was just a poor management job that happens sometimes. I don't see BD's score dropping while everyone else rises, that is absurd!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And that's fine if that's YOUR opinion of how you will supposedly perceive these shows 10 years from now, though I frankly laugh at the allegation of what will/will not be remembered and/or revered 10 years from now. There is at least one show EVERY year that a bunch of people say that about, only to have the bar raised the next year and thus the prior show hardly gets mentioned.

For me, Phantom will be rememberd via comparison to shows like 1989, 1996, and 2006, but not as a show unto itself. Blue Devils, this year, will be a memory unto themselves for me because what they are doing this year is something they have never done before to this point. This could be a one-year anomoly in show design for them, or the tip of the iceberg. Thus, it will either be the one year they completely departed from their norm, or the year that ushered in their new design style. In either case, it will stick out to me, in the same way that 1994 sticks out for me with them in terms of the change in design from that point forward.

Phantom's show will be talked about for a long time to come. I don't think BD's show will. It's not that groundbreaking, really. It's not really absurd, either...

Great talent though!

Here's a story from 1996 in the Citrus Bowl.

Phantom goes from 4th to 1st & ties Blue Devils for their 1st title ever & the Blue Devils -- no# whatever. Afterwards, I am walking to the parking lot w/my spondoree that year -- Scott Bouton, and BD & PR had already played their victory concerts and there were snare drummers and staff from BD behind us walkimng as well to the mass of busses. We wer joing by a throng of cherring, ecstatic Regiment fans who were cheering "We finally got it...we finally won!" and, it was heard from behind us snide laughter and the statement ...."yea you got it... a gift is what YOU got"..........

Now, I will NEVER, EVER forget that as my sponsor Scott looked at me amd laughed saying "Who cares". Well, it's left a bad taste in my mouth & psyche ever since. So showing some class ----- gee wish devils did then, or at best - the 4-5 that were behind us then....... I won't fall victim to trashing an entire organization because of something that is said/overheard from a few.... But, I know what I heard, and I know how it made my co-champion sponsor probably feel

I am sorry that some knuckle heads said what they said. In EVERY orginization you have some bad apples. I will happily apologize for the entire BD Orginization for what happened, that kind of stuff has no place in DCI. Everyone should support everyone else, no matter what corps they march in. I think in general though, BD Alumni are not that way. Every BD Alumni that I know supports everyone in DCI and gives credit to everyone where credit is due. And I have not spoken to one BD Alumnist that has nothing but positive things to say about this years Regiment show.

If BD's score drops than the other scores at most will stay the same. The reason they received such high scores is because they left no room giving cavies and crown such high scores to begin with. The judges' main goal is to get the placements right. It was just a poor management job that happens sometimes. I don't see BD's score dropping while everyone else rises, that is absurd!

No, I think that was a biased judge.... There's was too much visual dirt in the forms to be missed last night. Maybe they'll clean it up for the next two nights. I'm not saying BD can't be perfect or even that much cleaner than everyone else. I'm just saying that last night wasn't it. Good luck to them!

I think there will be a lot of movement in caption scores the next two nights, but the overall placements will remain almost where they are. I do think Regiment will jump over Cavies tonight.

Phantom has a really good shot at the title this season.Its all in what they can do in the next few days to clean it up.

I agree. I think they will not win because they are not quite clean enough. Heck of a show, just a matter if they can clean it up. You have to remember though, that BD just put in their ending this week, so they have room to clean, so even if PR cleans it up so will BD.

Who knows how tomorrow night will turn out! Fun year huh?!?!?

Edited by franklinjake

As far as showing some class? Gee, maybe one of these days Regiment will beat Devils -- let's see how much love they'll extend to Regiment & their fans then.....

Probably will be the same as I am being dissed for now, but oh well.......... life will go on !

For the record, Phantom beat BD in 1989, and I don't remember "dissing" them or their fans. In fact, I remember meeting and talking to several of their members in Minneapolis and other stops on tour. This has never been a "go out and kill your enemy" type of activity. It is a "go perform your butt off and see what happens" activity.

Although there are always a few bad apples in EVERY group, I have found most corps alumni (from BD, Phantom & other top corps) show a lot of class. In fact, the combined performances last year of the BD/SCV Alumni, BD, and SCV hornlines were a blast (especially the alumni rehearsals at Vanguard hall). No on cared that they were standing shulder to shoulder with the "red team" or even playing their music. Keep in mind that these two organizations have battled it out closely, often for the top placements (especially during the years most of these alumni were marching - From 1973 to 1982, BD and SCV took every title except 1975).

I DO notice that "fans" who never marched their favorite corps) seem to provide most of the hate mail here. I haven't figured out why they can't just sit back and enjoy the show. Unfortunately, some here assume these fans (and yes, sometimes "phans") represent the organization somehow. They don't. The organizations can speak for themselves, both on and off the field.

I DO notice that "fans" who never marched their favorite corps) seem to provide most of the hate mail here.

Gee, I wonder who you are talking about? :thumbup: