Is narration dead now?

Well - you have your hopes and I have mine. We'll know next year who comes closest.

Oh, as in any year the use will be limited. It's the close minded attitude that makes me wish what I said. I know it won't happen.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, as in any year the use will be limited. It's the close minded attitude that makes me wish what I said. I know it won't happen.

Is it close minded to prefer one thing over another now? When was that rule passed?

Well, obviously that's something you and I disagree on. For me, every time that voice-over started up, I found it to be an annoying distraction, and I actually had to force myself to ignore it in order to enjoy the corps' performance. (And I'm not alone.) That, to me, is not good programming. Bluecoats' use of narration -- while not absolutely necessary to tell the story of the show, IMO -- at least flowed literally within the context of the show, and made sense. The audience could readily make a connection between the narration and what was happening on the field. There may well be some tangental connection between Sarah and her life story and everything else that's happening on the field during Cadets' show, but as far as I can tell, it hasn't made it past someone's imagination into the audience's mind. Is that a failure? IMO, yes, because the primary thing that a corps does is perform. If one of the main elements of that performance not only does not get through -- much less complement the program -- and even distracts from other aspects of the performance, then that element either needs to be revised or eliminated altogether.

If you have to ignore it, then you are not accepting it as a valid concept. It's part and parcel of the show design, as much as the mellophone part or the bass drum line. I did not think the concep of the show worked that well this year, but it wasn't the existence of narration...it was the idea of the show. last year's narration worked very well.

As in drum corps, narration is used by a minority of bands, it's not omnipresent at all. It's a valid tool that can be used well..and not so well, like any aspect of band/corps.

I agree Mike D. I honestly think Hop is trying to create a new drum corps genre with narration but it seems to only work in moderation. I believe there's a lot of folks who respect Hops striving for progress, (at least I hope so) , but are turned off by his pontificating attitude. Maybe he's frustrated because drum corps has become the least progressive of all the pageantry arts. Anything (except WW's) , that gives designers more options to create, is a good thing IMO.

Where did I say anything like that?

Maybe here?

It's the close minded attitude that makes me wish what I said.

Emphasis mine - just to clear up any doubt...

Narration should be dead from now on. Hop should look at Phantom's show and actually learn his lesson. Good Job Phantom!!!! It's about #### time the best corps in DCI actually won!!!!!

Edited by BigSnareline