Is narration dead now?

I was at semis and finals - gotta agree with Hoppy that it's just not working this year. The narration/"acting" added nothing to the show IMHO and served to only distract attention away from the corps proper. When it becomes a distraction instead of being a truly integrated portion of the show, it's time to try something else.

The novel (read: RIGHT - again IMHO) thing to do is use some imagination and find ways to reach the audience in a manner utilized to much greater effect by the Cadets' higher-placing colleagues. Get the mindset out of the amps being the central point of the show and into using the hornline/drumline/guard/pit to the max. There's much more than enough talent there - it can happen!

Now, at the end of the Cadets' 2008 show, I was soooo pleased to see some of the most visually insane drill whilst playing I've ever had the pleasure to see from any corps - I was reminded of 1991 Star's ending to a degree. It may be asking a lot of the kids to do a whole show like that, but the ending is to me a step in the right direction.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because something doesn't work one year doesn't mean that it never works.

2007 Cadets had at least as much narration as 2008 if not more and they came very close to winning the championship.

George actually said in the interview that it could be the most talented Cadet corps in a while, if I remember correctly. So how do you not medal with that? Lousy design. Most corps that have tried narration (or worse - singing) have dropped it the next season. There's a reason for that. I think it's just been Hop's ego that has kept him bashing it year after year. Maybe now he finally gets it. I sure hope so for the sake of the kids in his corps and the fans that want to like Cadets but recently just can't.

So how do you not medal with that?

Well, hmmmm....thats easy...other corps just had a higher level of performance and design this year. Narration had very little to do with it.

George actually said in the interview that it could be the most talented Cadet corps in a while, if I remember correctly. So how do you not medal with that? Lousy design. Most corps that have tried narration (or worse - singing) have dropped it the next season. There's a reason for that. I think it's just been Hop's ego that has kept him bashing it year after year. Maybe now he finally gets it. I sure hope so for the sake of the kids in his corps and the fans that want to like Cadets but recently just can't.

How did Crown not medal with as much obvious talent as they have? 3 corps were better.

OK then, chew on this.

If this years Cadets corps was the most talented in a while, that would make them more talented than last years corps.

Last years corps had just as much narration and came in 2nd.

Conclusion: Narration isn't as much of a factor in success or failure as those who hate narration would like to believe.

OK then, chew on this.

If this years Cadets corps was the most talented in a while, that would make them more talented than last years corps.

Last years corps had just as much narration and came in 2nd.

Conclusion: Narration isn't as much of a factor in success or failure as those who hate narration would like to believe.

So why are there so few repeat users? If it's that great, one season shouldn't be the end for them should it?

Conclusion: most that have tried narration have dropped it for the turkey that it is.

It's not the narration in and of itself - it's the way it didn't work for them this year, because of IMO ineffective design. Instead of freeing up design ideas, narration seems to be stifling the Cadets' artistic direction, again IMO, to the point that they feel that amps have to be utilized, for better or for worse. They can be extremely effective if they rely less on the amps and more on the talents of the kids on the field. Phantom is a tremendous example of that this year.

So why are there so few repeat users? If it's that great, one season shouldn't be the end for them should it?

Conclusion: most that have tried narration have dropped it for the turkey that it is.

It's just one design element in the show. Some corps know how to use it, some don't. But at the end of the day, it's just one design element and it really does not add nor take much away from the show (other than the fact that most people can't stand it....well can't stand when CADETS do it).

It's just one design element in the show. Some corps know how to use it, some don't. But at the end of the day, it's just one design element and it really does not add nor take much away from the show (other than the fact that most people can't stand it....well can't stand when CADETS do it).

If Cadets narrated at the usage level of Bluecoats (and weren't so ####### preachy) people wouldn't be reacting thr way they do.

It's not teh narration so much as the amount and usage...Hop hasn't figured that one out yet. Hopefully he has for 09.

2007 Cadets had at least as much narration as 2008 if not more and they came very close to winning the championship.

And the writing was almost as bad IMHO. The next time someone tells me it wasn't, I am going to force myself to listen to that show again and pull out quotes.