1996 vs. 2008

It isn't that I have anything against Phantom, but I honestly feel like their scores alot of years HAVE been a gift. There is now way in 2005 they should have had 3rd with that show. I was there live, and have watched it on video over 20 times. It was not a 3rd place show. There were at least 2 corps that should have beat them that year that didn't.

2006, there is no way that Faust was better than Godfather Part Blue. Sorry, it just wasn't.

2007 I probably would have had SCV a little ahead of Phantom, but the scores in 4th through 7th were so close that I can see any of those 4 corps placing in any of the 4 spots that year.

This year, I know the audience really likes Phantom's Spartucus show, but it is definitely NOT better than Cavaliers. In 2007 I thought musically Phantom did have a better musical show than Cavies(which is rare), but in pure execution, Cavaliers were so much better. Same with this year. I can't understand how Phantom Guard is scoring anywhere near Crown, let alone beating them. There is obviously a push to get Phantom another ring, deserved or not(my opinion, that show is NOT worthy of a ring). However, even if it comes in 3rd or 4th(which it should), that doesn't mean people shouldn't like it any less. I personally think it is a great show, just not a top 2 show. Both Cavaliers and Blue Devils have what I would call championship shows. Great execution, great muscial and visual programs. It is also close, but I would put Crown ahead of Phantom in every category except drums. Colorguard to Crown by at least half a point.

So, in what I have seen so far this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see Phantom win outright tonight. I probably won't agree with the decision. But as someone who has formerly judged many events, I have totally given up on the DCI judging community. I have to say I think it is as rigged as American Idol.

Disagree. 2005 was absolutely a 3rd place show, and IMO 2006 was a championship caliber show! They and the Cavies were so close in final scores it's impossible to argue, and it would be impossible to argue had Phantom won that year as well.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"I love both BD and PR's shows this year..." -Apathy Jones, Aug 9, 2008

"And I like BD's show and am not a huge fan of Phantom's show." - Apathy Jones, July 29, 2008

One of these things, is not like the others.

Apathy Jones? It that anything like Desolation Jones?

Too bad this isn't American Idol and we could just vote via cell phone.

I marvel at how folks think they can simultaneously judge 8 categories and determine who is best. Arrogance runs rampant these days.

Wanting someone to win doesn't mean wanting them to win when they don't deserve it. Any of the top 3 DESERVE to win. Get over yourselves (you know who you are) :thumbup:

GE alone should give them a win... Their GE is literally off the charts.

Hm... didn't know GE was the only catagory?

You're trying way too hard.

Me thinks the person you are trying to convince is yourself.

Just because he thinks that BD may win?? Is it not a fair question, that when BD didn't have a great show last night and STILL won, that if they perform great tonight as usual that their score will go up also? I don't think that is unreasonable.

1) NO corps, since the inception of the build-up judging system, has ever won Semifinals and lost Finals. There have been three ties, but no corps since 1984 has won Semi's and lost Finals

In Open Class (old) / Div 1 / World Class (new)

It has happened in Div2-3 / Class A / Class A-60 / Class A-90

Apparently it's the new judging system.

Yeah, and I keep hearing "Regiment is getting the best crowd response so they shouyld win". Since when did Crowd Response = WIN?? If so, Scouts should have won 95,96,97 just to name a few.

"Crowd response" is not a "judged caption".

Winning, is doing as well as you can in each of the captions, while trying to be entertaining as possible. Noone does that better than the Blue Devils EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!

In Open Class (old) / Div 1 / World Class (new)

It has happened in Div2-3 / Class A / Class A-60 / Class A-90

That's cool.

But since we're talking about Phantom vs. Blue Devils, I don't find that relevant. BoSox were the first MLB team to come from 3 games back to win the AL Pennant too, but that still doesn't convince me that Phantom will beat Dev's tonight :thumbup: