Legendary shows....

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok mr. sam, i've read enough of your posts on here to generally respect your opinions, but you get no bonus points from me by leaving off your own 84 devs show,

Well...i WAS going for only championship winners! But thanks....besides, I'm a little too close to my own show to judge it that way.

Thanks, Notelvis!!

WVU80...the fencing's not on yet...I had the pleasure of having my ### handed to my by Jason Rogers (of our men's sabre team) when he was still in high school several years back...even THEN he was like lightening! The speed of a top level fencer is amazing...and the speed of a foil tip during a flick (a whipping action that brings the point to target) is 2nd in speed in sports only to a bullet.

Ironically, the last major comp I did was Nationals in 2001....as I was checking my first round results in Div II men's foil, I ran into another competitor wearing a Mandarins shirt! Turns out he played bass the year they won Div III with 10 horns! Small world! (Well...nats WAS in Sac that year)

Too bad we never met inthe elimination round....I don't think he was even inmy quadrant....I just know that I finished above him, because I took 29th (out of about 200) and I did not see him at any strips in the round of 16.

If we're going to include non-winners:

76 Madison (if for nothing else the sheer brass balls to dump a show MID SEASON and still come in 2nd with so much less time to work with!)

80 27th

80 Spirit (mostly for "Let it be Me" for Jim)

85 Suncoast

87 SCV

87 Sky Ryders

88 SCV

88 SKy Ryders

90 Star

93 BD (did they evan HAVE a section with a standard meter??? Then again, it WAS Don Ellis....)

all I cna think of for now...abck to work

I have to toss in

Suncoast '88

SCV '99 (finals was just from another planet)

Star '90

Cadets '93

WVU80...the fencing's not on yet...I had the pleasure of having my ### handed to my by Jason Rogers (of our men's sabre team) when he was still in high school several years back...even THEN he was like lightening! The speed of a top level fencer is amazing...and the speed of a foil tip during a flick (a whipping action that brings the point to target) is 2nd in speed in sports only to a bullet.

It was on today Sam, on a cable channel that locally is usually MSNBC. I watched two Americans women fencing, and I believe the favorite won, although I didn't remember her name.

It was on today Sam, on a cable channel that locally is usually MSNBC. I watched two Americans women fencing, and I believe the favorite won, although I didn't remember her name.

It isn;t on at my place yet. Actually, the favorite, Sada Jacobson, tood the silver (she took bronze in Athens)....I feel for her...she was the fave both of the last 2 games and I SO wanted her to take gold to get that monkey off her back. Instead, Mariel Zagunis defends her Athens gold, and Becca Ward gets the bronze in her first Games.

They're the favored in the team event...all they have to do is win their first match and they're in teh medal round. Considering that Sada has been tghe world #1 several times, Mariel's won EVERYthing at one point or another (including the Worlds yesterday, since the Olympics serves as the fencing worlds when they come up), and Becca is the current JR world champ (under 20) we stanbd a VERY good chance of medalling again!

Edited by 84BDsop

It isn;t on at my place yet. Actually, the favorite, Sada Jacobson, tood the silver (she took bronze in Athens)....I feel for her...she was the fave both of the last 2 games and I SO wanted her to take gold to get that monkey off her back. Instead, Mariel Zagunis defends her Athens gold, and Becca Ward gets the bronze in her first Games.

They're the favored in the team event...all they have to do is win their first match and they're in teh medal round. Considering that Sada has been tghe world #1 several times, Mariel's won EVERYthing at one point or another (including the Worlds yesterday, since the Olympics serves as the fencing worlds when they come up), and Becca is the current JR world champ (under 20) we stanbd a VERY good chance of medalling again!

Who would have EVER thought that the US would even medal in sabres several years ago; much less sweeping! How things change...

Who would have EVER thought that the US would even medal in sabres several years ago; much less sweeping! How things change...

Prior to Mariel's gold and Sada's bronze in Athens, the prevous medal was Peter Westbrook's sabre bronze in 84....the prior medal at an UNboycotted games was Axelrod in 1960 (bronze in foil, I think)

The USA was never a real player on the fencing stage until we started getting some Euro coaches over her years ago to build our programs up...NOW we're a legitimate threat in most weapons....and getting stronger every year.

I still suck, however....I'm a MUCH better armorer than I ever was a competitor (and I fenced all three weapons). The only way I'm going ot the Plympics is is I get a team armorer berth, adn that's YEARS in the future!

BD 1994, 2004, 2006

Cavaliers 1995, 2000, 2004

Cadets 2000

Crown 2007, 2008

Phantom 1989, 1996, 2003

Scouts 1996

SCV 1989, 2004

just some of my personal favorites :thumbup:

Edited by mels214

for me...

blue devils 86

velvet knights 92

crossmen 92

star 93

madison 95, 96, 07 (best show to ever not make finals)

cavies 95, 00, 02, 04, 06

cadets 87, 93, 94, 00

vanguard 89 and 99, plus 03 and 04 for the drumlines

phantom regiment 89, 96, 03, 06, 08

crown 07, 08

Edited by big old drummer man