DCI 2008 in review . . .

2008's "moment"  

269 members have voted

1. 1. What made 2008 so special?

• Regiment wins!
    • Crown's 4th place; highest ever for them . . .
    • Blue Stars are back in Finals!
    • Scouts make it back to Saturday night!
    • All of the above . . .
    • None of the above (explain in thread) . . .

I will have to agree on this.... i'm not sure if there was a tighter race all season long..... these two corps met 6 times head to head without either of them beating another by more than 0.9

Just curious, how does everyone feel about the finals results between Coats and SCV? Of course, I'm happy that my team was able to pull ahead on finals night, but I wouldn't have begrudged SCV anything if they had stayed ahead. I have to say that SCV has my favorite drill design this year and I absolutely love their show.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always refreshing and nice to read something Jared writes when whatever it is inspires him to do so. Kinda rare now compared to years past, but eloquent never-the-less. He's notorious for single to maybe 6 or so word answers much of the time, and then you get something like this above... :worthy:

Had to be kind of rough last night, though, yeah? Or maybe not so much? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts given placement and effort put in by your former corps this year...

(for those who don't know, Jared opted out of his age out year with Bloo... but that's his biz.)

hahah, like dcp tourette's. that is pretty funny though, i hadn't given the extensive variety of my posts too much thought. every month or two i come on here and write a novel.....i doubt dcp people have any reason to care about where my brother marches.

not rough, but very strange though. i'd be going about my business as usual during the day, and randomly think about how emotional the day would have been for me had i not made that decision. it was my first day working a new job, and i called a close dci friend of mine as soon as i randomly got let off. he was on the field (was a volunteer during finals week....dunno how he pulled that one off) and said they had just announced bluecoats score a few seconds earlier. i was really happy to hear it; its truly a testament to the work ethic of the young members/leaders of the corps this year. i was especially happy realizing that the drumline gets their finals moment on the dvd this year, which they absolutely deserve. i'll forever remember the shell station i was at, listening to the last 2 score announcements, sitting in my car with the windows closed before stepping outside to fill up my tank. what a moment. i wanted bd to win only because a good friend of mine decided to skip this year of drum corps.....she had marched mello with phantom for the last two years, wanted to take a season off, and has been having one of the worst summers of her life. them winning would only make her feel worse, i presume. i'm sure she'll be back to age out next year.

i dont know when the bluecoats performed last night, but 'eye of the tiger' came on the radio at work at 9:35. people were whistling it and stuff afterwards. when i got home and turned on the olympics, a budweiser commercial was on that basically featured the rocky theme too. go figure.

the reality of the situation has long since set in, so yesterday wasn't too big of a deal. only slightly surreal....my lower back has become enough of an issue this summer that i haven't regretted my decision for a minute. i'm just happy that for the 3rd year out of the last 4, 'my' corps has worked some finals night magic to make great things happen.

congrats to the scouts, too!! seriously, glad it relatively worked out for both of our teams this year.

Edited by Jared_mello

they're all huge. im almost compelled to say blue stars, though i voted phantom.

I had to vote for all of the above - this was such a great season overall!

cadets, im really glad your ending was changed so that the crowd was thinking about YOU and your abilities when the show ended, instead of george's ideas. i have a lot of good friends who switched corps (primarily from boston) to the cadets this summer, including my little brother and my roommate/best friends, and i hope those of you who aged out found the experience to be worth it. the last minute of your closer was one of the best 60 seconds in dci this year, and proof that hiding these talents behind an informative theme is a waste of time. for the many of you who aged out there this year, i'm truly sorry that george hopkins spent the last week of your careers bringing attention to the 2009 'holy name' cadets and their incoming show. you deserve better than that, and i hope you tuned it out as much as you needed to. i'm really glad you guys got to experience performing at that high of a level, on that scope. alex bender, i hope aging out with the maroon team instead of the blue one was a worthwhile end to your well-documented drum corps career.

George Hopkins just needs to retire! I think the man has possibly lost his mind in recent years but no one wants to tell him! When the kids played and marched - they really played and marched! Shame on George for hiding behind the 2009 year because 2008 was tanking!

Edited by elliotdo

Congrats to...

Troopers, for a great product this year after not being on the field in 2006. I am so happy the Troopers are still part of the activity

They were good!! I was very impressed with their performance in quarterfinals. :tongue:

CROWN!

4th place, with a 2nd place percussion score? I've been wanting to try out on for their snare line, looks like the competition's gonna be a LOT tougher than in years past. =D

um 2nd in music - 4th in percussion.

Also they did have the highest ever 4th place score - beating the previous highest by .2