DCI 2008 in review . . .

2008's "moment"  

269 members have voted

1. 1. What made 2008 so special?

• Regiment wins!
    • Crown's 4th place; highest ever for them . . .
    • Blue Stars are back in Finals!
    • Scouts make it back to Saturday night!
    • All of the above . . .
    • None of the above (explain in thread) . . .

they're all huge. im almost compelled to say blue stars, though i voted phantom.

30 years is a LONG time. not even just back in finals, but 8th, having broken 90. crazy. this must be surreal for the blue stars of the 80's (barely existing) and 90's (div 3).

crown joined the bluecoats in being the only corps to jump into the top 4 since star was hanging around. they did it faster though, and probably more assertively. much higher score.....considering bluecoats scored the exact same score tonight as in 2006. by the way, they got 4th in drums (19.1), not 2nd.

bluecoats were in the top 3 in drums for the THIRD year in a row. 3rd in drums (and horns) in 06, 2nd in 07, and 3rd in 08. congrats, guys, glad most of you stuck around. hope it was worth it. I'M SO HAPPY YOU GUYS GET THE DRUM CAM ON THE DVD THIS YEAR. you deserve it. the hornline, as young as they were, truly made me proud; i'm really glad the (debatably) best brass moment of the summer was theirs to call their own. you performed the hell out of what you were given. oh and if the guard didn't pull out an 8th place finish on finals night, i dont think the jump to 6th could have happened...."get it," bccg, you guys are the sassiest color guard in dci by far. SIX WORDS. i love you guys.

congrats to boston too, for overwhelmingly exceeding my expectations before the season. i called you guys falling out of finals (ala magic '04), but 'neocosmos' was one of my favorite shows of this year. perfect show for the drum corps, i think. very aggressive, masculine (how i perceive their image as a whole), and entertaining, with a definitive nod to the past.

welcome back scouts.....xmen would have been a better story i suppose, but madison was definitely worthy....i think it was probably their best show since '05.

i think glassmen '08 was their best show since '02, both performance and design-wise.

cadets, im really glad your ending was changed so that the crowd was thinking about YOU and your abilities when the show ended, instead of george's ideas. i have a lot of good friends who switched corps (primarily from boston) to the cadets this summer, including my little brother and my roommate/best friends, and i hope those of you who aged out found the experience to be worth it. the last minute of your closer was one of the best 60 seconds in dci this year, and proof that hiding these talents behind an informative theme is a waste of time. for the many of you who aged out there this year, i'm truly sorry that george hopkins spent the last week of your careers bringing attention to the 2009 'holy name' cadets and their incoming show. you deserve better than that, and i hope you tuned it out as much as you needed to. i'm really glad you guys got to experience performing at that high of a level, on that scope. alex bender, i hope aging out with the maroon team instead of the blue one was a worthwhile end to your well-documented drum corps career.

bk, i really liked your show. it was the weirdest i've possibly ever seen but i appreciated the creativity, constant exposure, and belief in what you were doing. i didnt really get what your show was really 'about' but you made me believe in it anyway. even if some of your alumni would disagree with me saying this, I WAS ENTERTAINED.

bd........you guys were awesome all season. i loved it, minus some of the finals week changes. phantom was surely a hard beast to hold off come finals night.......if you guys had won, everyone (most people) would have hated you, so i guess it's for the best. you guys are a MARCHING SPECTACLE, putting on clinics at every show. thank you.

phantom, i can't believe you guys pulled off what you did.....show design aside, you guys worked your ##### off to put that show on the field. that video of the 4 to 5 firebird suite exercise from last year was telling......you guys, whether the staff made you do it or not, were physically going to put yourselves in the position to take it. i guess thats the point though. you guys were the best at doing what you were told :worthy: ....certainly had the vehicle to make it happen. phantom, you made a bunch of people's years/lives tonight.....i'm sure the crowd's response to the score announcement would have effectively conveyed the magnitude of what you did, if those GOLD MEDALS didn't do so anyway.

two divisions of drum corps, two corps jumping into 1st on finals night. sorry, BD organization. congrats, phantom, SCVC, and drum corps fans who paid attention in 2008.

i got a bit carried away with these thoughts but uhhhh yeah, goodbye 2008/potential last year of junior drum corps eligibility. i enjoyed the drama.

Edited by Jared_mello

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great night. . .I think in all the craziness. . .we are also overlooking another big event.....blooooo overtaking scv.

I will have to agree on this.... i'm not sure if there was a tighter race all season long..... these two corps met 6 times head to head without either of them beating another by more than 0.9

This was a great year for drum corps and I really enjoyed the shows. Congrats to Phantom Regiment for winning and not having to share the world title!! :worthy::worthy: Milk it for all that it's worth!! Carolina Crown has become one of my favorite corps now. Keep up the great work!! I'm glad to see Madison Scouts make it back in the finals. The corps that really impressed me this year was the Blue Stars. :worthy: I know you all were good last year, but I really enjoyed this year's show! Congratulations for finishing in the top 10. :worthy:

My only complaint is that the season is over....and it went by so fast. :worthy:

Edited by gbell211

Phantom Regiment winning the crown. They alone have the crown, no more tie, no more second best in Illinois. After PR, it's the Blue Stars. It's an organization that keeps on breathing even if it's close to death. . . like seeing a beloved friend again after years of separation.

CROWN!

4th place, with a 2nd place percussion score? I've been wanting to try out on for their snare line, looks like the competition's gonna be a LOT tougher than in years past. =D

sorry but 4th place percussion score

All of the above, and more. It will take months to digest all of the fantastic stuff that happened this year. I wish I could turn back time and find a way to get to Bloomington to see this year's events unfold.

Of course I have to mention Troopers in semis, even though that's not probably on the radar for a lot of folks. 2006 could have been the end of it all for the Troopers, but then some very brave and talented people stood up and said "Legends Never Die."

I admire the Blue Stars organization for doing the same thing. They are the comeback heroes of our time.

And PR.... you must all be flying on clouds today. I can only imagine what it feels like to have lived this show all summer, pulling off that drama night after night after night, and then winning it all. Luckily, many of us have been brought to heights of emotion by your show all summer too, so we can tap into it just a tiny bit. I'm still goosebumpy!

Some excellent stories, and some excellent posts discussing those stories. This has been fun to read.

Right now, there is no doubt Phantom Regiment is the story. Their 1st title to themselves, 2nd overall, and it was a much deserved title.

My thoughts go out to Blue Devils who took a tough loss to Phantom last night. You guys were amazing this year, and your performance on Friday night at semis, when I was there, was one to remember.

Once the dust settles I think some of these other stories will be more entrenched in our minds. Right now everyone is just on a high from Phantom's win last night.

Other stories of the summer:

2. Carolina Crown and that amazing show

3. Blue Stars and 8th place

4. Cadets and GH and Narration - This continues to be the most talked about corps and subject in DCI, both in good and bad ways.

5. Madison back in top 12

I voted for all of the above and definitely congratulate PR on their win. My heart is obviously with Scouts and Blue Stars, though. Yesterday was a great moment for Wisconsin drum corps.