My thoughts on Finals

First and foremost: Congrats to Phantom! :worthy: They finally got to be the bride!!! How wonderful for them and I think the entire Drum Corps World is very, very happy for them. :worthy:

Now, for the rest of the night (please no hate mail, we all are entitled to our opinion and this is just really my observation of the evening) : I was extremely impressed with the crowd’s reception of Madison. Now those of us that have been around for a while, know that no matter what place there are in, Madison has always been a crowd favorite and we were all so happy to see them back.

However, I was very disappointed in the bottom 6 tonight. For some reason, at least in the last few years, it seems like this 6 performs their show the best on Friday. I am not the only one who noticed this - I talked to several that agree. The biggest issue I saw was the colorguards. Folks rushing the counts, or tossing too late, lots of drops, etc. Blue coats were probably the only exception - they really put it all out there. Even my Blue Stars, whose show is my favorite of the year after Crown's, seemed a bit off. Again, just my opinion.

SCV did a very nice job tonight and the entire crowd seemed to get behind the "Vanguard" yell.

Cadets were the Cadets. What more is there to say??

But then Crown came out, the crowd gave them a standing ovation as soon as they saw the first uniform hit the field (Cadets weren't even close to off yet) and then Crown performed a show that blew everyone away - No lie - Wow Oh Wow!!!! Their guard really stepped up to the plate and nailed everything. I was sitting (actually in the press box) around folks that had not seen this show yet. While I am not a youngster, I am talking folks in 70's/80's, but who have been around this activity for decades and even they were chuckling, clapping and on their feet at the end. As I was leaving the stadium I heard scores of band kids who were talking about that show. Oh how I can't wait to see what they do next year.

Now it was Cavies turn. Last night, I thought they marched the h@ll out of that show and really didn't see how they could have improved that drill, but tonight I was stunned at how clean they were. None of us had recovered from Crown's show yet and now we have to deal with this! OMG, we had no idea what to do but sit there with our mouths open and try to breathe.

Ok, here come's PR...the crowd respectively clapped along with "Iowa" until Cavies were off, but then immediately got on their feet to welcome Phantom on the field. You could tell that this was the favorite show of the year (with Crown coming in a very close second). Now I love this show. It is probably my most favorite PR show right after New World. But again, I just felt it was a bit off as compared to last night. The end was spectacular and the “I am Spartcus” yell(s) from the crowd were a blast and when the corps yelled, it sent chills down your spine (I mean that in a good way). I was very nervous though that they didn’t pull it off to beat BD. I didn’t stay for scores, drove the hour back to where I was staying so I didn’t have to be disappointed all the way back, but was so happy to see the final result.

BD, as I said in previous posts, I still don’t really understand the show and miss the “jazz”. Glad to see PR beat them, but I thought Cavies should have too.

It was the first time I ever attended a show by myself (my “date” had to bow out), so I spent more time paying attention to the reaction of the crowd then I usually do. My biggest gripe: While I really felt that this was one of the most supportive crowds I have ever been a part of, I really, really, really am hating the screaming of names or this, that and the other thing during the quiet or down times (unless it is kinda part of the show and everyone does it). While at times it can make us smile, the kids on the field do not hear you - they are way too in the zone to pay attention to anything then what they are there for. It just seems to me that all that is just BS to "make the tape" and have their 15 minutes (actually 1.5 seconds) of fame. Please, let's stop this!

Anyway, again just my opinion, but mostly my observation of the evening. Please, please, please – no hate mail!!!!

On the flip side: As wound up and excited after last night’s show as I was, I now feel quite a bit down and depressed that it is all over with. It’s like that feeling you get on the evening of Christmas when it’s all over!!!

I will tell you though, that in the 30+ years I have attended Finals, this had to be the best year I have ever seen!

Thanks for listening. Now I would like to hear the opinions of others that attended.

Donna

The Judges don't seem to agree with you that the Blue Stars Finals performance " seemed a bit off " from earlier on Thursday ,Friday.

Their score went WAY up on Saturday nite at Finals. The Judges thought they had their best performance ..and by far... this entire season.

Just sayin'

That was PHuqing awesome! :worthy: Great job Phantom! How appropriate that they beat BD by .025 points after all these years. I think there were a few BD sopranos that were mad if you heard them during America the Beautiful. Sore losers.

That was PHuqing awesome! :worthy: Great job Phantom! How appropriate that they beat BD by .025 points after all these years. I think there were a few BD sopranos that were mad if you heard them during America the Beautiful. Sore losers.

Congrats on the dumbest post of the day. Your parents must be so proud.

While I am sure that the corps was disappointing finishing second, you can take it to the bank that they showed nothing but class on the retreat field and in the parking lot afterward. The members and Alumni of the Blue Devils are gracious in defeat, and always have been.

What I really feel bad about is all the anti-Devils comments the members of the 2008 corps will get the pleasure of wading through when they get home, especially the ones in the quarters and semis threads.

Congrats to Phantom Regiment on their win, and the Blue Devils on an amazing season.

Ok, here come's PR...the crowd respectively clapped along with "Iowa" until Cavies were off, but then immediately got on their feet to welcome Phantom on the field. You could tell that this was the favorite show of the year (with Crown coming in a very close second). Now I love this show. It is probably my most favorite PR show right after New World. But again, I just felt it was a bit off as compared to last night.The end was spectacular and the “I am Spartcus” yell(s) from the crowd were a blast and when the corps yelled, it sent chills down your spine (I mean that in a good way). I was very nervous though that they didn’t pull it off to beat BD. I didn’t stay for scores, drove the hour back to where I was staying so I didn’t have to be disappointed all the way back, but was so happy to see the final result.

Interesting take Donna. I had a friend who is a band director and corps instructor who was in the audience, and he called me directly from the stands right after PR left the field, and could only utter expletives in his attempt to describe the awesomeness of PR. This coming from someone who is not impressed very often.

But thank you for your review--sorry you had to go alone but sounds like you had a great time.

And I agree....I wish people would shut the hell up in the audience.

Interesting take Donna. I had a friend who is a band director and corps instructor who was in the audience, and he called me directly from the stands right after PR left the field, and could only utter expletives in his attempt to describe the awesomeness of PR. This coming from someone who is not impressed very often.

But thank you for your review--sorry you had to go alone but sounds like you had a great time.

And I agree....I wish people would shut the hell up in the audience.

Ryan,

I wouldn't say I had a great time, but an interesting one! I really learned some more lessons of life tonight.

Lesson 1: I will never, ever attend a show again without someone else to share the experience with, even if that person is a "Newbie"! And I have been able to take 5 "Newbie's" to contests this year who loved them. Each in their own way. Some who have even seen things (as the Corps wanted us to see) that I didn't!!!!!

My only guestion Ryan is, was your friend in the audience on Friday? I am only stating my "feeling" of the show from Friday to Saturday, and while I totally agree with the placement, I just felt more emotion, power and strentgh from PR the night before.

I am truly surprised your friend could even talk at all by that point because I am not sure I could have! Maybe that is why he "

could only utter expletives", I can really imagine what those were!!!!

Donna

I am truly surprised your friend could even talk at all by that point because I am not sure I could have! Maybe that is why he "

could only utter expletives", I can really imagine what those were!!!!

Donna

The word "holy" was an integral part of the expletives that came forth through the phone last night. And I ain't talking "Holy" as in "Holy Name Cadets" either. :worthy:

However, I was very disappointed in the bottom 6 tonight. For some reason, at least in the last few years, it seems like this 6 performs their show the best on Friday. I am not the only one who noticed this - I talked to several that agree. The biggest issue I saw was the colorguards. Folks rushing the counts, or tossing too late, lots of drops, etc. Blue coats were probably the only exception - they really put it all out there. Even my Blue Stars, whose show is my favorite of the year after Crown's, seemed a bit off. Again, just my opinion.

bluecoats weren't bottom 6, they were top 6.