Blue Stars make DCI History

Congrats to the Blue Stars!

To my knowledge, they are the FIRST corps to break into finals (I think we can call it breaking into finals after a 29 year absence) and achieve the following:

1. Take 8th place.

2. Score above 90.

3. Move up six spots in one season. (could be wrong on this one)

The drama of Phantom's win last night is one of the most amazing moments in DCI history. The Blue Stars' return to finals, and the manner in which the did so, is one of the best stories in DCI history.

Congrats!!!!!!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to the Blue Stars!

To my knowledge, they are the FIRST corps to break into finals (I think we can call it breaking into finals after a 29 year absence) and achieve the following:

1. Take 8th place.

2. Score above 90.

3. Move up six spots in one season. (could be wrong on this one)

The drama of Phantom's win last night is one of the most amazing moments in DCI history. The Blue Stars' return to finals, and the manner in which the did so, is one of the best stories in DCI history.

Congrats!!!!!!

Santa Clara was 7th in 1980 and won DCI in 1981.

Colts were 20th in 1992 and moved up to 12th in 1993.

Your #3 has been achieved.....even bettered....before but you are spot on with #1 and #2. None of this diminishes the Blue Stars accomplishment this season one tiny bit though. Congratulations Blue Stars!

Santa Clara was 7th in 1980 and won DCI in 1981.

Colts were 20th in 1992 and moved up to 12th in 1993.

Your #3 has been achieved.....even bettered....before but you are spot on with #1 and #2. None of this diminishes the Blue Stars accomplishment this season one tiny bit though. Congratulations Blue Stars!

Ah... Thanks for the correction. 1 & 2 aren't bad!

The fact the BS was able to make a come back, and break back into the top 12 is no small feat. BS is a founding member of DCI - and perhaps, this is literally the grandchild of the 1972 corps.

It's gotta make you wonder what their organization knows or understands about the activity, that other - very established corps - have failed to do?

The model for their success should be published and studied as an example of how any other corps might be able to achieve a similar goal.

Ah... Thanks for the correction. 1 & 2 aren't bad!

And this one kind of predates me but the fledgling Spirit of Atlanta went from like 21st in 1976 to 6th in 1977. People that heard that corps said they were incredibly loud.

But back to Blue Stars - I first saw them in 1981 when they had slipped to about a 15th place corps or so. Still, I liked them.

I liked them in the 90's when they were a classy DIII and DII corps.

I've liked them as a DI corps in the new millenium and their show this year was probably my favorite of all. Phantom is a great story. The Madison Scouts are a great story. The Colts soldiering on with a DM change the final week of the season is a great story.......

But what the Blue Stars have done to survive and position themselves for the return to finals surpasses these other great stories.

Congrats to the Blue Stars! It's great to see Wisconsin storm back to Finals in such spectacular fashion.

...or inspire other beloved corps to, at least, consider a return to the activity, be it in open class, world class, or DCA.

I would love to see the likes of The Freelancers, Suncoast Sound, Guardsmen, Florida Wave, Marauders, etc, etc, etc, come back to entertain and add more to an activity that had just experienced a highly memorable year!

And this one kind of predates me but the fledgling Spirit of Atlanta went from like 21st in 1976 to 6th in 1977. People .....

Historically, 1976 was Spirit's first year, and 1977 was their first year in competition. They did not break into the top 12 until 1978.

Top DCI corps started touring in the south in 1977 to help plant a seed, and it worked.

This is also the first time, as a Division 1 corps, that Blue Stars scored above 90. During their run in the '70's, including 2nd and 3rd place finishes, they never broke 90. Of course, the scoring system now is radically different, but still, quite an accomplishment.