Blue Stars make DCI History

Another classy move, in my opinion, was the helmet with the red plume on the podium. When I saw that sitting beside the new shako, I couldn't help but tear up. Many, many emotions last night for the old and new Blue Stars.

Also enjoyed the "old" uniform, including the guard in hot pants, marching alongside the current conductors during retreat.

A fine tribute to what was then and what is now. They've updated their image but still remember their roots.

Welcome back to finals Blue Stars. Long overdue.

Chris

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another classy move, in my opinion, was the helmet with the red plume on the podium. When I saw that sitting beside the new shako, I couldn't help but tear up. Many, many emotions last night for the old and new Blue Stars.

Also enjoyed the "old" uniform, including the guard in hot pants, marching alongside the current conductors during retreat.

A fine tribute to what was then and what is now. They've updated their image but still remember their roots.

Welcome back to finals Blue Stars. Long overdue.

Chris

I'd like to find a good picture of that. Anyone have one?

Are you kidding me? Have a nice day.

I'm not kidding. I like the Blue Stars, dont get me wrong. It is one thing to celebrate a success....but yet another to be as obnoxious as they were. A bit less professional then I would have expected from them.

Congrats to the Blue Stars!

To my knowledge, they are the FIRST corps to break into finals (I think we can call it breaking into finals after a 29 year absence) and achieve the following:

1. Take 8th place.

2. Score above 90.

3. Move up six spots in one season. (could be wrong on this one)

The drama of Phantom's win last night is one of the most amazing moments in DCI history. The Blue Stars' return to finals, and the manner in which the did so, is one of the best stories in DCI history.

Congrats!!!!!!

Have any other corps gone from being a Div II/III class corps to making Div I Finals? (Yeah, I'm more comfortable using the old names.) And didn't the "original" Blue Stars fold and the current BS used to be the feeder corps? (More first trivia if true.)

Personal irony is on one of our bus trips we watched 1978 DCI which included BS doing one of favorite DC charts "Backwoods Sideman". :worthy:

Have any other corps gone from being a Div II/III class corps to making Div I Finals? (Yeah, I'm more comfortable using the old names.) And didn't the "original" Blue Stars fold and the current BS used to be the feeder corps? (More first trivia if true.)

Dutch Boy was A class (or Div II/III).

Carolina Crown started Div II.

I think Blue Knights were A class around 1982-ish

Was Glassmen A class in 1979/80?

Personal irony is on one of our bus trips we watched 1978 DCI which included BS doing one of favorite DC charts "Backwoods Sideman". :worthy:

I think technically they Blue Stars had to declare bankruptcy back in 81 and then they incorporated a new feeder corps as the La Crosse Blue Stars and Blue Stars Cadets -- someone over on the Blue Stars web forum would be able to give the full details --

re: Backwoods Sideman - what a grooving concert piece.

Madison went from 14th to 8th in 02/03 as well