music now wins, not visual

Figured I'd be the one to start this thread after Phantom Regiment's spectacular victory last night. Who thinks the pendulum has finally swung (and rightfully so, I might add) in the opposite direction? I'm looking forward to see what show designers have in store for us next season with this thought considered.

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully music will be considered more important in the future than it has been. After all, you don't watch the visuals in the car, you listen to the music. If it is worth listening to, that is.

Patrick

Argument flawed, as usual. Yes, Crown and PR have spectacular musical programs however, they both marched their butts off and had very strong visual design. Further, PR's physical demands of visual is SICK .. then take into consideration what they're playing.

I think the correct statement should be ......... FINALLY THE BEST OVERALL PROGRAM WINS. Because, more often than not ..... it's not the case.

Don't hold your breath kids. Wait until it happens again before you get too excited. IMO, the judges responded to the OVERWHELMING demand that PR win last night. We'll get into it more in a week or so, but to me, this may be a one-time shot. GE is still king, and it was due to a weird sequence of events, some I'm not even sure I totally agree with, that Phantom won.

Either way, Phantom was MY favorite show, and I was stoked they won.

Argument flawed, as usual. Yes, Crown and PR have spectacular musical programs however, they both marched their butts off and had very strong visual design. Further, PR's physical demands of visual is SICK .. then take into consideration what they're playing.

I think the correct statement should be ......... FINALLY THE BEST OVERALL PROGRAM WINS. Because, more often than not ..... it's not the case.

very true !!!!!

don't kid yourself. GE wins.

Figured I'd be the one to start this thread after Phantom Regiment's spectacular victory last night. Who thinks the pendulum has finally swung (and rightfully so, I might add) in the opposite direction? I'm looking forward to see what show designers have in store for us next season with this thought considered.

Let me get this right. People were throwing babies for the music in PR's show? While it fully supported the theme and was performed very, very well, that show won people over for its GE. What were people talking about in PR's show...the emotion, plain and simple. A show can win with average music and great GE. I find it hard to think that average GE and strong music gets you there (maybe a little bit like Crown's show this year, although that may be a bit of a stretch).

Boo's statement in his reflection of Finals scores says it all -

"Phantom Regiment (1st, 98.125) won by adding 0.45 to its total score, while the Blue Devils added a smaller margin of 0.05."

Phantom stepped up to the plate and hit a grand slam last night. When the Blue Devils stepped up, the ball was 8" short of clearing the wall.

Edited by Wildabeast

The argument is flawed, true, but not for the reason you suggest. I fail to find a year where you cannot argue that the overall best show did NOT win. Notice I said "argue" as in have an opinion over which was best. To me, there are years where I disagree with the judges' perceptions over what constitutes the best, but that's usually because there are multiple contenders over who could be the best overall. Are there years where I was not as entertained by the show that won as others that scored beneath it? Sure, and this year is one of them for me, but that does not necessarily guarantee that the best overall show didn't win.

I feel that the premise is flawed simply from the perspective that Phantom only won by .025, so it's not like music was so great that it created a wide disparity. In fact, Phantom's music scores did not dramatically change from the first two nights. They won because their visual scores suddenly jumped up. So, you could reasonably contend that visual scoring had the greater impact on them winning. It wasn't until they got their visual "act" together that they won, at least according to the scoring.