Cadets Classy Retreat

If George tore this kid up and down, it was surely deserved. If he was clever, he would have handed the guy audition details and tell him there is a process to become a Cadet that doesn't involve laying in their retreat block wearing a Cavaliers uniform.

What happened here?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Below is a post from the Cavaliers site. This is a cut and paste, so don't think Mr. Zuccala posted it here. I thought it was important to share his thoughts:

First of all, Thanks to Everyone that helped make the 2008 Cavaliers a successful. We could have not done it without you.

I have to respond to the finale inferences made towards our members. The Hornline DID NOT intend to disrespect any of our competitors. They have been taught ALL season long to portray a Samurai Warrior. In their way, they carried it out to the last minute. They were ACTING and SAVORING that role to the last possible minute ONLY. WE were the only Corps to acknowledge the winners and our gestures as we passed by them were sincere. The Cavaliers have many friends in the Phantom Regiment and The Blue Devils. The hang out at school and after shows so please STOP the bashing. On Friday night, The Cavaliers stood by and applauded the Blue Devils as they passed by after their performance. The competition was stiff, but it never gets in the way of our friendships and colleagues from other Corps. Sorry to inform you, this Drum Corps Generation does not get wrapped up in that sort of negative gesturing. Please reconsider your judgments because that was not the intent. Bruno

I have been searching corps site to see if there are any responses to this issue. I for one, hate hearing about the actions of some of the corps members. Since I don't find the corps "guilty until proven innocent", I give them a chance to respond and take actions as necessary before I judge. That is why I have been searching their sites. The actions of a few members don't change my opinion of the corps unless the corps condones the action through turning a blind eye and doing nothing.

I will give each of them a chance to do the right thing before I form my opinion about the organization. As for the students that committed the acts, they are dead to me.

Spartans '87

The foundation Year

Edited by Spartans87

Cry babies. Seriously, you people need to relax. Jolly ranchers were thrown. Fun was had. Roleplaying from the shows was done in retreat. The end is not nigh because of this, and your ######## definition of "classy" is still intact with the few corps who still adhere to it. The world is not going to end because corps x and y do not subscribe to your definition of what retreats should be.

I find your attitude toward this evening of incidents very disturbing. Since you have no information on your profile, I am forced to assume you are new to the activity, and probably young in age. While I am a fan for 29 years, and a FMM of a few corps, don't be fooled into thinking I am not understanding of how some things in life change, and that we should put things in perspective. The world will not end over a few Jolly Ranchers being thrown. Understood. But it sounds to me like the throwing was not in fun, but from the standpoint of being a pain-in-the-### to the corps who DO respect retreat. NOT acceptable.

As for the drinking, public drunkenness is usually punishable by some well earned time in jail, and certainly NOT to be tolerated on a drum corps field UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE! There is no way anyone should ever allow this to happen, period.

Kudos to the Cadets and Phantom (just to mention a few, I am sure there are others) who handled themselves in a respectful, classy manner. Others should take a lesson from them.

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

n640321170_1627552_3366.jpg

It is incomprehensible to me that anyone who respects drum corps could look at this photo and not be offended.

It is incomprehensible to me that anyone who respects drum corps could look at this photo and not be offended.

I, for one, feel digusted and I'm glad someone caught it on camera. Acting as a samurai ? What a bunch of Cavalier rhetoric.

Opinion of Cavaliers has just gone wwaayyyyyy down.

What a shame.

Geoffrey

I, for one, feel digusted and I'm glad someone caught it on camera. Acting as a samurai ? What a bunch of Cavalier rhetoric.

Opinion of Cavaliers has just gone wwaayyyyyy down.

What a shame.

Geoffrey

I have to agree. Originally I was just writing this whole thing off to sometimes individuals make stupid decisions... but what bothers me is that their director would condone something like this.

I have to agree. Originally I was just writing this whole thing off to sometimes individuals make stupid decisions... but what bothers me is that their director would condone something like this.

I found the excuse-making rather disturbing as well. I've drafted a letter to DCI directors and am going to send it soon. I do not want to make it public until DCI directors to see it and read it first. I will post it once I send it if anyone is really interested.

If I might.....

Phantom showed up to finale at Finals and laid out a 'dead' drum major along the front sideline along with all the other DM's. Most of the crowd (myself included) thought it was a surprisingly light touch for them, and kinda witty.

Cavaliers have 'dead' members in finale, in a not so subtle homage to the "year of violence on the field" in drum corps, and it's disgusting and troubling.

I thought Green took the joke a too far, but also sense a bit of piling on here. This has been addressed by their management, and in a year, when the corps all show up for another finale, it'll have been corrected.

In the meantime, it was a good year for all involved - can we put this issue to bed and get back to focusing on HOW good a year it was?

I just sent an email to Bluecoats director Dave Glasgow. We'll see what he has to say, if anything.

I'm really surprised not to see any other former Bluecoats making comments here about this. I know there are several of them on here. I'd really like to know what they think. Do they condone what happened? Just don't want to get involved? I just find it hard to believe that I am the only one that seems to be so disturbed about what they (Bluecoats) did.