Let's design "Holy Name" 's show for next year

As part of the encore set absolutely...although it would be interesting to see what a 21st century visual mindset would do with it on the field

I think this is the true message of this entire thread and although this qoute was pulled from a post about Elks Parade, anything that is played next season, rehash or not, will be done with a new twist, a new flair and will be done unbelievably well.

The only way it would possibly be trite would be if the entire corps returned (staff included) and did the exact same show again....impossible! (although I would pay a lot of money to see some of the classic Garfield Cadets shows live again!)

The staff for 2009 (assuming that the bulk of the staff from 2008 will once again return for 2009) will make the 2009 season amazing!

Side note, the Cadets have been playing Rocky Point as an encore for many years now, and many drum corps fans, although happy to hear it at a show that the Cadets do win, now know the tune pretty well, (some could say that RPH is the Cadets signature and that may well be true). I think some of the appeal in 1983 (1982), was that it was a new and innovative tune to put on a football field! The riffs in the hornline and the tempo of the tune just made people stand and scream! Excerpts perhaps, but I would rather see treatment of next season done in a Carolina Crown 2008 way. Best pieces from the best years, but no one entire full piece. They could put in a ton of great segments from the best of Berstein to include some never before seen music done in drum corps. I just hope they keep it recognizable and we all leave the shows whistling the tunes and tapping our feet! A show that sticks with you is always a winner in my mind.

Edited by 27thAvantCadets

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you're not saying Bernstein or Copland are trite.

I hope you're not saying Cadet's presentation would be trite????

What does that leave? The point that you have heard it before? Is that where "trite" comes from?

There are a whole stands full of kids that never heard these so-called "trite" arrangements. Just because we have heard them before in an earlier form, does not have to condemn a new generation to never hear them.

How about "In nomine Patris"?!

Excellent point. And lets not forget that the '89 SCV Championship winning show was essentially a complete rehash of their '88 show. SCV didn't have to wait very long to bring back that show. Heck, they brought it back the FOLLOWING year. And to the delight of just about everyone too.

Edited by BRASSO

How about "In nomine Patris"?!

Somebody should write a book with that title! :tongue:

Sorry - couldn't resist - probably should have....

Not that I'm about to tell the Cadets what or what not to do (There's enough on this site) BUT.... Seems to me a lot of posters as far as their thoughts on going back in the Cadet history and pulling some music from there seem to forget that History (especially for the corps) started long before the 80s. Its just funny to me that people go as far back maybe as their own history when history for this group goes back a lot further than 1983 or whatever.

Now who knows if there is anything from way back to Holy Name days to play (Probably not) but History is History and not just the part we were part of. Just a thought :tongue:

Not that I'm about to tell the Cadets what or what not to do (There's enough on this site) BUT.... Seems to me a lot of posters as far as their thoughts on going back in the Cadet history and pulling some music from there seem to forget that History (especially for the corps) started long before the 80s. Its just funny to me that people go as far back maybe as their own history when history for this group goes back a lot further than 1983 or whatever.

Now who knows if there is anything from way back to Holy Name days to play (Probably not) but History is History and not just the part we were part of. Just a thought :tongue:

True. My first memory of Garfield is the "No More War" show (72?). I know virtually nothing of their shows/music before that.

Assuming, again, that Lenny remains the theme.... there was some Bernstein music done in the late 50's early 60's - Westside Story in particular. I don't see much beyond that. Given Bernstein's circa I'm not sure how much would have been done by drum corps pre 50's

A full production of Fancy Free - that would be interesting - that creation will be 65 years in '09. A Lenny tribute and retirement party all wrapped in one.

My Point EXACTLY. Why the "Holy Name" thing. If they are ONLY going back to "Cadets of Bergon County" or "Garfield Cadets" of 70s and 80s??????????????????

Heck. Why bother even with a show name like I sugested "The Cadets - 75 Years of Excellence"

They could just do a " The Cadets - the last 20 or 30 Years in Review"