:worthy:

Anything from Mr. B.......and without narration :smile:

Edited by Triple Forte

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see Rocky Point Holiday for 2009. I really think that they should do a "Cadets Tradition" show and do some of the most "Cadet noted pieces" such as Simple Gifts and Rocky Point Holiday even a WSS piece. The Cadets show next year should be all about "Holy Name" and I can't wait to see the repertoire for next year.

Wow.

Please explain....

Taking any of the Bernstein or Copland they've played as part of classic, seminal Cadets shows from the 80s will come across as trite to me. Phantom took a show concept, Spartacus, and instead of putting old wine in new bottles, managed to take almost completely new music and drill compared to the 80s shows of the same name, and make it as good or better than the original productions. I'm hoping the Cadets go in that direction as well.

I'm sure you're not saying Bernstein or Copland are trite.

I hope you're not saying Cadet's presentation would be trite????

What does that leave? The point that you have heard it before? Is that where "trite" comes from?

There are a whole stands full of kids that never heard these so-called "trite" arrangements. Just because we have heard them before in an earlier form, does not have to condemn a new generation to never hear them.

I would love to see Rocky Point Holiday for 2009. I really think that they should do a "Cadets Tradition" show and do some of the most "Cadet noted pieces" such as Simple Gifts and Rocky Point Holiday even a WSS piece. The Cadets show next year should be all about "Holy Name" and I can't wait to see the repertoire for next year.

Last time The Cadets did Rocky Point there was nonstop complaining on here because they weren't playing the exact same arrangement as 83.

They have already announced the show will be called "Lenny" and be an all Bernstein show.

There is plenty of his music they have not played on the field.

I for one would love to hear Chichister Psalms. There is some really intense stuff there.

He also wrote a couple of symphonies, and at least two operas/operettas. There is some great stuff in Candide besides the overture (great ballads). Then there are the ballets and musicals.

I expect great things, and a return to tradition----meaning no frigging mikes.

Visit www.boosey.com and search for Leonard Bernstein and you'll see 272 pages of tunes by the man. Yes much of it is breakdowns of WSS but there is SO much more music by him that would make a great show without ever having to repeat anything from the past.

Chichester Psalms

Mass

Sym. No 1 (Jeremiah)

Those are a few that have great music in them. Yes I know some have been tapped but not to their fullest extent!

Take a look for yourself!

I'd like to hear anything but rehashes.

im not even going to touch that :troll food:

but it would have touched upon a certain corps at a certain quaterfinals in a certain 2007year...

i'm not as worried about rehashes as some people. i just don't think you should dip in that well too often. let's not forget the lesson of jim prime, dci hall of famer and tony award winning arranger for his work on blast- he left dci as the great innovator (a title the cadets left open for the taking after the mid 80's), his last show was 93 star. but as soon as he had to go out in the real world and compete for entertainment dollars he broke out maleguena. dci should pay careful attention to his lesson, you need to keep fans happy if you want to keep getting venues to play in and gas for the buses.

really though, although i know the cadets are doing lenny this year (and i'm praying they will do it honestly and well, and not just use it to try to manipulate drum corps fans into swooning because they are going back to the name of a church they walked away from decades ago) the one cadets show i'd love to see is an american in paris, not just the music, the full production from the film, all the sets, costumes, locations, dance, music, the whole shebang. oh, and if you watch the film its a wonderful example of story telling using music and visual, no narration necessary at all!