'09 Shows I want to See

I'm still waiting on a corps to do a Christmas show. I think Crown would be perfect for it. A Christmas show could easily be done with a story line while not going off into cheeseland. We were on the way to Bloomington last week and played a Christmas cd in the car. Obviously, I start thinking about making a Christmas show.

some arrangements that i would use...

David Phelps - O Holy Night - if you've never heard this live on the free video site then please check it out now - ballad going into a company front comes to mind

Andy Williams - It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year - would make for a nice little opening production

sleigh ride - a little park n blow eh?

Judy Garland - Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - ballad - I loved when Bluecoats did it in 1996

First Noel - another possible ballad

Gene Autry - Here Comes Santa Clause - a fun little piece - maybe a drum break

Cavies '91 had an Advent show, but the tunes you've laid out would be good for Colts.

If "killing" people helped sell Phantom's show this year, imagine what they could do with a show entitled "Phriday the 13th".

Pioneer seems to be in rut, going with a lot of traditional rehashes. I wonder if they've listened to some of the rock bands that are Celtic or are even close to the style - Seven Nations, Great Big Sea (Canadian), Gaelic Storm, etc. Might even be able to do something with Michael Brecker's "Itsbynne Reel". Call the show "Sham Rock".

Carolina Crown has such a monstrous hornline now, I'd like to hear them tackle some of the European brass composers. Jan Van Der Roost's "Olympica" could be a good start.

Troopers, the Main Theme from Jerome Moross' "The Big Country" could be a good start to show that could use the same name.

Bluecoats - how 'bout a sultry, sexy show using Seal's "Kiss From a Rose" as your ballad? Could be hot.

Edited by Wildabeast

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see someone do a Grease/Hairspray Show. I don't care who.

Bluecoats - how 'bout a sultry, sexy show using Seal's "Kiss From a Rose" as your ballad? Could be hot.

I haven't wanted the Bluecoats specifically for this, but I've thought for years that this should be done by a Top 6 hornline! But Bluecoats would be fine!

Someone else suggested a re-visit of Dark Knights by B.K., and "Kiss..." could be added as part of that rep.

The music from the HBO mini series John Adams will be a kick arse arrangement for drum corps

1) Rite of Spring - entire show.. or maybe Rite of Spring crossed with Appalachian Spring. That would be an interesting juxtaposition.

1a) Belshazzar's Feast - hey, it's been 18 years. I think it's fair game now. I don't think anyone is brave enough personally.

2) Tool - maybe not an entire show, but I think there are some pieces that would sound great. I remember someone posted a link to a string quartet that played some of their music and it sounded pretty awesome. Their arrangements wouldn't be a bad starting point.

I'd love to see someone do a Grease/Hairspray Show. I don't care who.

NO offense, but I would rather hear 100 minutes of bad Cadets narration than ever hear that.

I would love to see Phantom do a Wagner show.

Edited by prophet

Cavies already did an Americana Influnced show in 1996 and it wasn't too competitive for them.

Pan American Sketches - Pavana (from Tres Versiones Sinfonica) * Mexican Landscape (from Latin American Sketches) * Xylophone (from Tres Versiones Sinfonica) * Piano Sonata No. 1, Fourth Movement * Third Symphony, Fourth Movement

I like the rest of your choices.

Cavies Chicago My kinda town (2005) show was VERY Americana feeling and very nice.

I would love to see Phantom do a Wagner show.

Again, you mean? They did one in 1997. It was pretty good, though the ending sucked (soloist needed to go up, not down; show should have ended quietly).

Dancer in the Dark

Full show. Not bits and pieces.