Crossmen's Weak Sound

Not ragging on this corps at all, I loved their show in Atlanta and at semifinals, especially the "Wonderful World" segment. :cool:

But from where I was sitting at semifinals (row 28, 45 yard line), Crossmen to me seemed to have some of the weakest sound projection I've heard from a top 12 corps (they were top 12 during this season). Anyone else notice this? Aside from one or two moments at the beginning and end of the show, it was like they hardly reached the stands. The corps obviously has the ability to project better...perhaps part of their brass philosophy is to hold back?

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not ragging on this corps at all, I loved their show in Atlanta and at semifinals, especially the "Wonderful World" segment. :cool:

But from where I was sitting at semifinals (row 28, 45 yard line), Crossmen to me seemed to have some of the weakest sound projection I've heard from a top 12 corps (they were top 12 during this season). Anyone else notice this? Aside from one or two moments at the beginning and end of the show, it was like they hardly reached the stands. The corps obviously has the ability to project better...perhaps part of their brass philosophy is to hold back?

"weak" is subjective. It may be thats how their horn book is designed. But I saw them in Madison and I cant say that I perceived the same thing as you, certainly no more than any other corps with a few exceptions.

Take 50 G bugles and call me in the morning...

I was sitting about 20 rows higher than you, but I did think their playing was underwhelming, especially in the upper brass. It seemed weaker at semis than at quarters. When they formed the tight set at the end of "Wonderful World", I asked myself whether the trumpets were even playing because the sound was so bottom-heavy.

Anyhow, I didn't think they played nearly well enough to sell such a chopped up book. I might have liked the line better if they'd had some simpler material that they could perform at a high level.

Aww... let's see xmen only had 64 horns this year, so I think they did a pretty good job projecting considering everyone else had over 70 on the field.

total number of members was 142

Edited by xbones7480

Aww... let's see xmen only had 64 horns this year, so I think they did a pretty good job projecting considering everyone else had over 70 on the field.

...and according to the announcer during the quarterfinal broadcast, Crown had 80.

I’ve never been a believer in the “louder is better” school of thought. Frankly, whether or not they put out as much volume as the other corps was immaterial. Crossmen played their show well… very controlled… and with confidence. In general, I was okay with the judging at Championships this year (particularly with the placement of Phantom ahead of BD); however, the one glaring judging flaw in my book was placing the Scouts ahead of Crossmen. With no disrespect to the Scouts, it was a popular, but invalid move by the judges.

You see, I would make the argument that 64 Texas brass players = 80 Carolina brass players except that most of theirs were from here anyways! (OK, OK--exageration)

All joking aside, I said I wouldn't be surprised if Scouts beat Xmen at the theater after they both performed--just a more intense sound.

But look out next year--especially if the corps returns a whole bunch of 2-year vets! Even Madison won't be able to withstand all that talent with 2 years of experience!

You see, I would make the argument that 64 Texas brass players = 80 Carolina brass players except that most of theirs were from here anyways! (OK, OK--exageration)

All joking aside, I said I wouldn't be surprised if Scouts beat Xmen at the theater after they both performed--just a more intense sound.

But look out next year--especially if the corps returns a whole bunch of 2-year vets! Even Madison won't be able to withstand all that talent with 2 years of experience!

64 brass

100 rookies in corps

17 age outs

crossmen went with quality of sound over over blowing . If there kids could play louder and keep the quality , the staff would have opened them up more.

developing a loud quality sound takes years . but the results last .

The crossmen have a building process that will lead to much more than just Making finals.

look at

early 80's cadets

star

crown

phantom

watch out for BONES in 09.

3rd year in TEXAS.