Class A 35 minimum rule

Wow....apparently my early-morning-before-I-was-REALLY-awake post is (cue the music from teh recent Radio Shak ads) my best post, eveerrrr! :sad:

Sayre...wood or aluminum???

Vampire :lookaround:

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vampire :lookaround:

Is that anything like the hunter that got bit on the arse by a rattlesnake?

Wow....apparently my early-morning-before-I-was-REALLY-awake post is (cue the music from teh recent Radio Shak ads) my best post, eveerrrr! :lookaround:

Sayre...wood or aluminum???

Now play nice..... :sad:

We are....I'm thinking of the potential damage to the bat on his rock-thick skull......the aluminum bat WOULD make a great PING, tho...

Kinda sad to see all the animosity directed back to James - show me any other topic that has held people's interest for 42 pages, and deals solely with the smaller corps.

Does he have opinions? Sure, and his opinion, which HE IS ENTITLED TO, is very strong, and to many of you, contrary to your own. Did he make some people upset? Sounds like it.

Does anyone really want to take a bat to his head?

I surely hope not. In one fell swoop, several of you went beyond any type of civil, or even heated discussion because your thoughts and his clashed.

Just like all of you, he's passionate about drum corps, and if you get to know him, quite a nice guy. Check out the Brass thread on this forum - you'll see him constantly helping people out with advice about horns, mouthpieces, musicianship, etc.

If you think I'm REALLY advocating taking a bat to him, you don't know me very well...and if wants civil discussions in this thread, he has to give it to get it...attacking Sayer AND his proposals over ONE word doesn't cut it....it to mention 2 YEARS of whining about the photog issues at DCA. After a while it gets really old.

Sayre put forth a workable proposal....all James has done is #####, ####, and moan....

I found that accepting a well intended correction (like the one I got from Jeff Ream) helps to change the tone in an instant.

Backing up just one step changes the view (by broadening the horizon).

And apologies to Sam Signorelli.

We are both Statesmen alumni and corps fans.

Calling him out in diminutive tones was out of line.

He deserves better.

Sorry 'bout that, Sam.

I applaud the many still reading this thread for listening to the different viewpoints, adding in your own thoughts, and generally participating in what is obviously a contentious issue. This isn't the first thread dealing with the 35 member rule, and probably won't be the last, and all of them have gone many pages long.

I think everyone agrees with what Tom wrote about the origins of, and the thoughts behind the rule, though I have my doubts that there was unanimous approval at the time - unanimous votes maybe, but that doesn't always mean the same thing.

I had suggested before that instead of a minimum # of members, that there be a minimum score be required before any official recognition or money be doled out. If Elks Lodge 232 wants to come out and compete on the field with 15 horns, 3 drums, and no flags, that should be fine, if the show sponsors want them. Will they get paid? No. How about a score? Well, they'd get evaluated, they'd receive a score, but they wouldn't be ranked. We already do that in effect at our show. We had quite the entertaining show, featuring the Houston Shrine Corps (5 members), World Gone Mad (?? members), Austin Stars (20 members?), Revolution (in exhibition), and 2 competing corps with over 35 members, GCS and Frontier. Would we have liked to have more corps there in competition? Heck yeah! But nobody seems to want to return the favor and come out west.

Now lets say that FutureCorps came back out, same numbers as the Elks Lodge, but they clean up the captions and score a 65. Apparently they would be doing something right, and would have probably deserved a share point and a competitive ranking. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a corps that can meet some minimum level of excellence also has the wherewithal to determine for themselves if they have the resources to uphold their seasonal commitments and travel/not travel to Finals. If your corps knows that the minimum score is unobtainable, then they will more than likely confine themselves to local shows. If they think they are close to the minimum, then once again, they would keep things local, with maybe one or two shows scheduled out of territory, if not for the official score, then for the benefit of the members that want the experience.

If you know that you will be able to score higher than the minimum, then you are probably pretty confident that your program is in order, and you can count on the share point/performance fee to help offset the added expense (and yes, I know that share points get paid out the year after).

Suddenly, we have a self regulating system! Nobody gets excluded by "big bad DCA", only by themselves. The outlying regions, such as Texas, can encourage more local corps by inviting these smaller groups out and giving them a venue. Groups like Austin Stars, Masquerade, etc. that are working their way up. Why join a performing group that doesn't perform in the venue it's supposed to?