Class A 35 minimum rule

[quote name='nukeme70' date='Aug 21 2008, 10:25 PM' post='2367672'

Black Knights....coolest head gear!!! Great show in 1974! A memory blast from the past. :lookaround:

I applaud the many still reading this thread for listening to the different viewpoints, adding in your own thoughts, and generally participating in what is obviously a contentious issue. This isn't the first thread dealing with the 35 member rule, and probably won't be the last, and all of them have gone many pages long.

I think everyone agrees with what Tom wrote about the origins of, and the thoughts behind the rule, though I have my doubts that there was unanimous approval at the time - unanimous votes maybe, but that doesn't always mean the same thing.

I had suggested before that instead of a minimum # of members, that there be a minimum score be required before any official recognition or money be doled out. If Elks Lodge 232 wants to come out and compete on the field with 15 horns, 3 drums, and no flags, that should be fine, if the show sponsors want them. Will they get paid? No. How about a score? Well, they'd get evaluated, they'd receive a score, but they wouldn't be ranked. We already do that in effect at our show. We had quite the entertaining show, featuring the Houston Shrine Corps (5 members), World Gone Mad (?? members), Austin Stars (20 members?), Revolution (in exhibition), and 2 competing corps with over 35 members, GCS and Frontier. Would we have liked to have more corps there in competition? Heck yeah! But nobody seems to want to return the favor and come out west.

Now lets say that FutureCorps came back out, same numbers as the Elks Lodge, but they clean up the captions and score a 65. Apparently they would be doing something right, and would have probably deserved a share point and a competitive ranking. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that a corps that can meet some minimum level of excellence also has the wherewithal to determine for themselves if they have the resources to uphold their seasonal commitments and travel/not travel to Finals. If your corps knows that the minimum score is unobtainable, then they will more than likely confine themselves to local shows. If they think they are close to the minimum, then once again, they would keep things local, with maybe one or two shows scheduled out of territory, if not for the official score, then for the benefit of the members that want the experience.

If you know that you will be able to score higher than the minimum, then you are probably pretty confident that your program is in order, and you can count on the share point/performance fee to help offset the added expense (and yes, I know that share points get paid out the year after).

Suddenly, we have a self regulating system! Nobody gets excluded by "big bad DCA", only by themselves. The outlying regions, such as Texas, can encourage more local corps by inviting these smaller groups out and giving them a venue. Groups like Austin Stars, Masquerade, etc. that are working their way up. Why join a performing group that doesn't perform in the venue it's supposed to?

Honestly, I think basing it off of score alone is a mistake. My old corps won a title in 1996...they were inactive 2 years later. it had nothing to do with score, it had to do with management. We've all seen corps with great scores and horrid management die. And One thing I think the 35 rule has going for it is that a certain number of members helps make things more economically sound when you factor in dues and such.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every corps deserves a venue to compete in during championship weekend. Therefore, I propose that there be instituted a Class B championship to be part of the I and E on Friday evening. This would take place at one of the high school fields (with lights) set aside for for one of the alumni corps to rehearse at. Corps with less than 35 members would be allowed to compete.

If this is successful, then the next rules congress (two years hence) could entertain a rules change to allow the class B champion to compete first in prelims on Saturday.

trevor

while your proposal has some logic to it... one thing everyone seems to forget is that the staff is just so many people... we are extended to the limit... I can't imagine fitting anything more into the weekend...

The REAMster...

You are so right about it being so much more than just the 35 limit... it's all about producing solid foundations and corps that will be back next season and for seasons after... You will hear more in the fall about "education" of the leadership of new or returning corps... this is all about survival for all... and we are doing "ok" but we're no where near there yet..

thanks Uncle Tom, and yes, the schedule is strapped now