Class A 35 minimum rule

What are the guidelines for the 35 minimum rule? My previous understanding:

a) 35 performers - DM's and Honor Guard do not count to minimum of 35 (or against you at 65 members).

b) You get evaluated before competing to see if you have 35.

c) You now can compete at shows and can be under 35.

d) You go to pre-lims at finals and need 35 at the gate. If not, you cannot take the field. Your spot is skipped.

BUT: Now I hear - c) needs to be 35 at all times - ok. If you show up with 32 you cannot compete but can only do an exhibition.

Is there a link to the official DCA rulebook?

Edited by paradiddle

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would send a PM to Tom Peashey, He will help you out. Him and the I&E guy Pronti are always on here helping with questions.

I do know "A flag " section not doing anything in the performance is not counted and DM is not counted. If you are short memebers why use an A Flag.

If you are under 35 a judged exhibition I think.

Finds are paid out if you completely pull out of a show. Again I think.

Best Bet Contact Tom Peashey!

Edited by Peggly43

Fact:

You need 35 members to compete. PERIOD.

Not sure about the fine, but you absolutely need 35 members (playing or spinning are the only things that count).

Well I (finally) have a copy of the DCA Rule book and yes, you need 35 to compete at ANY DCA contest.

A corps shall have a minimum of 35 performing members in order to compete in sanctioned

DCA contests. This number shall NOT include drum majors, sideline or field conductors, prop

people, or members of the honor guard.

If a corps with fewer than 35 performing members (excluding majors/conductors/honor guard

/prop people) enters the field of competition at a DCA-sanctioned show, said corps will only

be allowed to exhibit (no adjudication) and receive no (zero) share points for participation at

the show. Full payment for attendance at the show, based on the terms of the contract, will be

solely between the corps and the sponsor.

Thanks everyone for that clarification.... Not an issue with me, I think it's a good rule.

PS: Yes, I did get a PM from Tom.

Edited by paradiddle

Well here's an issue....

If a corps DOES NOT receive a rule book from DCA should they have to pay said fine? If DCA allows a corps to compete (pass the evaluation) then they should have given the corps a rule book immediately...correct? Because of DCA's error the corps should NOT be penalized or fined.

Doesn't sound like an encouraging thing to do to small young corps. Is there a link to the official DCA rulebook?

There are always ways to get around this rule. :smile:

Grab some folks out of the stands,put corps t shirts on them and have them stand on the sidelines snapping fingers for a few min of the show.Sort of like Renegades are doing with the evil extras(only for different reasons) Treat it like (insert corps name) for a day! :thumbup:

You could do a 2007 Vangaurd.Have your newly added "members" walk around the field,,anything you can think of to get your corps on the field.

There needs to be a t shirt made up that says something like

I marched in DCA with less than 30 something members.(joking) :tongue:Don't you know that would create a bunch of noise if you saw a whole corps wearing those sitting there watching finals. :thumbup::tongue::smile:

Edited by camel lips

has the fine even been an issue yet? it is there in the rulebook, I think for a while, but I have not heard of it being applied.

just asking because I really don't know.

but it also allows for discretion too, and I would think that the circumstance woudl have to be very extreme, ie, damaging to the credibility of the all age circuit reputation, in order for it to be considered.

Well it depends on whose ignorance right?

I guess we can ask the question..."what was read and what was signed?" If an okay was given and the corps didn't sign anything than how can anything be enforced? I don't know what DCA does or doesn't do.

I don't think that ignorance is a very good defense.

Doesn't an organization have to sign a "I agree to the above rules.." type document before being allowed to actively compete within DCA? If not, how is any sort of fine enforcable?

99% of this thread is for private conversations between DCA and member corps...

As for new corps receiving a rulebook... The book is made available to any corps who asks... we don't have the time to have someone dedicated to making sure every new director has a rulebook. This is not meant as a slam to any director - especially this director who I have a very high opinion of... but - if you were new to dca and had a brand new corps, how could you pass square one without asking for a rule book? Seems pretty basic to me and I can assure everyone that NO ONE was ever refused a book... We don't even charge for it...