Who Were You Supporting More SCV or Bluecoats ?

Bluecoats or SCV ?  

157 members have voted

1. 1. Who Were You Supporting More ?

• Bluecoats
    • Santa Clara Vanguard

So.....all three nights I felt like the only person who was cheering for the Bluecoats to finish ahead of the Santa Clara Vanguard.

Bluecoats: Killer drumline and killer hornline with familiar music and exciting (Straight forward) presentation.

SCV: Abstract show again this year but killer drill design. Lacked SCV Swagger IMO. Dirty feet/marching

What do you think ?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bluecoats: Killer drumline and killer hornline with familiar music and exciting (Straight forward) presentation.

SCV: Abstract show again this year but killer drill design. Lacked SCV Swagger IMO. Dirty feet/marching

I agree with your analysis there. Overall I liked them both equally. Seeing them on Fan Network all summer, I preferred SCV. But in person in Bloomington, I grew to like Bloo just as much.

The only issue for me with Bluecoats show is ending with the theme music from Rocky. OK, the fanfare's pretty cool, but the theme from Rocky is, to me, SuperCheesy. But then, how can you do the show Bluecoats did without using Rocky? And using The Boxer the way they did more than compensated. Plus they maxed out the concept overall and really had the crowd on their side. And yes, their drumline and hornline rocked it, and their guard got hosed in semis and so became the underdog rooting interest in finals, which even fits the concept of a boxing show. And the violence in their show played into this year with Phantom 1st and Cavies 3rd.

/George C. Scott as Patton: Americans love violence...

So overall, I liked their show a lot.

But I also liked SCV a lot. Cool drill. Yeah, I know, dirty feet. The revised closer was really effective even if it didn't win over the judges. They had a good guard, quirky and original, but strong design and execution. Their middle number was one of my favorite musical moments of the year, matching Bloo's The Boxer. And how can you not love a corps that uses their cymbal and bass drum lines as well as SCV did this year and every year.

So it's a tie for me as well as BigSnare.

Edited by Peel Paint

Bloo all the way. I loved everything about their show except what they had the guard doing. It seemed to me like they were doing more actions imitating boxing than actual guard work. Oh well, I'm not a guard person. Overall, great show and I loved it. BLOOOOOO!!!!!!

Oh dear, I was dreading this topic, Im gonna get a new one ripped into me......

First I will say, I have been such an avid fan of the Bluecoats ever since they surged into finals back in the late eighties, I remember theb uzz in 86 about them getting stronger and the talk about them breaking into finals, which was a huge deal back then.

Their shows since 2001, their slow but steady rise towards the top, into the next tier of participants has been fun to watch.

To me, their visual design from say: 2002 - 2006 have been groundbreaking and above EVERYONE else in terms of design, staging, and total package. This year, I think they failed, a failure compounded from last season.

Sure, cleanliness made them an early contender last year, but by seasons end, they were passed right by becuase they lost what made then unique. Again this years programming was , to me, terrible, Boxing, complete with trite narration that was laughable at times. a guard that wasnt as solid, a drill design not nearly as unique and an ensemble that offered nothing in the way of Bluecoats past...and Crown zipped right by them by being true to themselves, but thats another story.

SCV was so intense, so aggressive, nonstop, kaleidascopic and almost too larger than life. I really cant see why Bluecoats passsed them, I guess it was drums, but as a whole, I see SCV going one way and Bluecoats going another.

Geoffrey

btw, did Bluecoats score suffer Thursday because their narration failed ?? Im pretty sure it didnt and thats just wrong.

SCV all the way, though the Bluecoats did have an awesome show. I didn't really get into the Bluecoats show though until seeing it live in Atlanta.

I still rooted for SCV for nostalgia's sake.

This is what I was sensing from folks I talked to about this over the three nights. SCV has no doubt been a Super corps for many many seasons....but 2008 SCV was not their best showing. On the flip side......this could have been one of (If not the) best showing we have ever seen from Bluecoats. So....that was my thinking.......plus I just liked the Bluecoats music much much more. Music is the most important element for me.......