Phantom Regiment guard rumor

My two cents...

If the rumor mill had not been going, and the news wasn't already out, at least to those really deeply involved in drum corps, Phantom Regiment could have made an announcement of this change, much like they have in the past....like last year with Jamey Thompson. As Mr. Newell stated, he was confirming what was already reported. Perhaps he did not choose the wording, the rumor mill chose it for him.

I also wonder if PR had not won this year, how much anyone would be attacking this announcement.

I could give a crap if they won. There are proper ways to do a press release. Typing something up on DCP isn't one of those ways.

Read the Cadets' release about Tom Aungst and Neil Larivee. Cadets as always....very classy. (for the most part ;-P)

Edited by DCImonkey

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, but if there is a large group of posters on here who believe it reflects negatively on Phantom, then it does.

haha...ding ding ding. If it walks like a duck...and it talks like a duck....then it's a.... HIPPO? WTF? :drool:

Unfortunately, perception will be for many that this is a negative. First of all, Adam seems to have really done a lot for their guard program. Secondly, the wording and method of notifying the public does seem odd. Obviously this was not your run of the mill friendly parting of the ways. PR as an org can either pony up some more details or leave room for speculation. It's the nature of the situation.

In my opinion, it is extremely unprofessional to come on a public forum and announce that a member of a corps staff has been "let go".

Agreed. There's a way this sort of move is announced in the business world; this wasn't it.

A few added thoughts by me as well (Keep in mind that I am a former member and current honk, so I have NO objectivity :drool: :

The title of the rumor thread was:

Adam Sage resigns from Phantom Regiment, OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

with the lead being:

Would someone please confirm this ASAP...

1. The OP of the RUMOR thread (please see link at the beginning of this thread) created a DCP account 8/14/08. IMO, it was an account created to start the rumor, because the OP had been scooped. Since then, that account has seen no other posts.

2. The post came on a Friday afternoon - the Friday afternoon after finals. More than likely, the "Powers that Be" are getting re-acclimated to life back home (jobs, family, lesson plans, etc). I remember in the old days when DCI was in Lombard (not too long ago) the headquarters were closed for a little bit until the proverbial "smoke" cleared from the previous season. I would be willing to bet that there will be a press release shortly. I would think that had this post come about on, I don't know, say a Monday morning, shortly thereafter, everyone would have gotten the "official" release that they were looking for.

3. It is obvious to me (and this is just using deductive reasoning, here) that the OP of the rumor thread wanted to get it (the unconfirmed rumor) out in the open for rabid speculation as quickly as possible.

4. Greg came on here and stated 2 facts: The rumor was confirmed, and that the details were between the Corps proper and Mr. Sage.

(FWIW, I am neither an official nor an unofficial spokesperson for PR - all opinions are honking mine, and honking mine alone.)

This is a 100% guarantee: Had the facts played out the EXACT way everyone here has stated they should have, there would still be a contingent who decried PR as playing bad pool.

So, the DCI hot stove league has started early this year. Keep in mind that there are 2 sides to every story.

Could not have been stated much better. Few added thoughts:

1. Greg is an extremely smart man, and therefore was WELL AWARE of any and all negative connotations of "let go". He was also aware that posting here would be seen by many as less professional than positing on the corps web site (as were the recent percussion caption resignations at Cadets). To me, the wording comes across as a purposeful lash in Adam's direction. A similar lash back from Adam on this forum probably will not happen. A professional, mature, and responsible reaction.

2. Phantom has a long standing reputation for their unprofessional handling of "letting go" of caption heads/designers in various areas.

3. Though an amazingly great drum corps, if asked for a weakness in the past ten to fifteen years, most would say visual (though sometimes very capable in this caption). Visual is also the caption where most have been "let go" in a less than professional way.

4. New visual people, guard caption applicants in this case, will and should be apprehensive about how they will be supported, treated, communicated with when some room for different decisions or actions are desired by those with the power to hire or fire...I'm sorry, "let go". Such apprehensions may keep the best person(s) for the job far away.

No, but the "let go" part of the announcement is odd. Why would he be "let go"?

Maybe he was let go because they already won a championship with him, and now they are looking to win one without him? :drool:

Maybe he was let go because they already won a championship with him, and now they are looking to win one without him? :drool:

I did not think my question was that odd. That would be like Cavies letting go Gaines since they've won championships with him and want to see if they can without him.

In the professional world, this is not how it is done. The statement by the original poster is petty and reflects poorly on the Phantom Regiment.

Just because an organization decides not to sugarcoat a statement, doesnt mean they have a lack of class. As Bill Parcells would probably put it, it is what it is.

Im pretty sure Mr Sage will be teaching with another program sooner or later. and more then likely Phantom wants to go another direction with guard program.

I too am a fan of the hot stove DC off season :drool:

Edited by CoreyD

Everyone today is saying how much he did for the guard the past four years. Two weeks ago the majority of the people were saying that the color guard was the weak link for the corps on the score sheets. That's the reason for my reference to their winning in my previous post. Personally, I thought the guards he put out were very good, so I think there is another reason.

Edited by PR ROCKS