• Veterans Memorial Stadium, Jackson MS 1993
    • Foxboro Stadium, Foxboro MA, 1994
    • Citrus Bowl, Orlando 1996-97-98-03
    • Byrd Stadium, College Park MD 2000
    • Invesco Field, Denver 2004
    • Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA, 2005
    • Rose Bowl, Pasadena CA, 2007
    • Memorial Stadium, Bloomington IN

If we look at just favorite location spots then you forgot to add Indianapolis. Almost a decade of World Championships with no travel or hotel costs? Staying home and seeing Finals!!!! :laughing: Location alone, Indy wins. Bloomington also nice. Madison obviously was nice. I wonder what it would have been like if Madison had finals for seven years in a row. Not like it anymore? There is hope for Indy!

Edited by User412

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rose Bowl, Pasadena CA, 2007 - We have a winner! Best DCI site ever.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved going out to California for the show, but the Rose Bowl was the worst for comfort and drum corps viewing I have ever been in. The seats were too narrow, with no leg room and the bowl shape did not allow for any high angle viewing and put you too far away to have your face blown off. The Rose Bowl gets my vote as the worst drum corps stadium, but one of the nicest locations.

Ralph Wilson is the closest for us, but last time the wind almost blew the color guards off the field. Stadium is in the middle of nowhere & if you want to slip out on Quaterfinals day, you have to pay again.

Foxborough was ridiculous in it's RV Parking fees, Mile High was the best for RV parking, we got to keep our spot right beside the souvie stands for 3 days & stay overnight.

Byrd Stadium security (and it was pre-9/11) made me feel like we were criminals - way overdone. Although, it would have been appreciated at Franklin Field in 75/76, since the neighborhood there was so bad, we didn't want to get out of the car to go into the show.

No parking in Madison, but there is something about finals in that stadium that makes it worth the drive.

I really liked Bloomington, but it helped that we had great seats. Next year, if we stay in the same hotel (Embassy Suites) we can walk to the new stadium & there is a mall that we can get to without even going outside :laughing:

Anybody who says the Rose Bowl must have very low standards for a Championships stadium. In particular if you were a marching member.

-It was DIRTY ... not meaning in the spick and span way, but just didn't look taken care of

-Waaaaaay over-hyped

-The field was TERRIBLE (especially for those of us who didn't make a U-turn and have the lines re-done .. but not just the lines)

-All corps had to be bussed to the stadium (a step above the mile-long walk at Gillette, but still far below Invesco)

-If you had to perform slightly earlier in the day, the sun was ridiculous

-If you were waiting at the outside of the tunnels to get into the seating, there was a good chance you wouldn't make it through in time to be allowed to sit because of the congestion due to how narrow and long they were

the list could go on ... I really wanted my finals in CA (and especially the Rose Bowl) to be awesome, but the stadium is just crap compared to 90% of the other venues I marched at that summer.

I guess it's different if you were a spectator...

No It was about the same. The Stadium event Staff for Rose Bowl absolutely just SUCKED!!! I'm not to sure who's idea it was not letting ticket holders into the stadium till about hmm oh 30 min before the show started that's just flat out wrong. The Stadium event staff at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro in '05 was really bad as well.

If we look at just favorite location spots then you forgot to add Indianapolis. Almost a decade of World Championships with no travel or hotel costs? Staying home and seeing Finals!!!! :laughing: Location alone, Indy wins. Bloomington also nice. Madison obviously was nice. I wonder what it would have been like if Madison had finals for seven years in a row. Not like it anymore? There is hope for Indy!
I give it 3 yrs before a different Venue for finals occurrs. People take vacation time from work with their Families to come out for Finals week. Everyone isn't going to be content with seeing the same things year end and year out. It's like that scene out of European Vacation " Big Ben" but magnified on a greater scale.

Anybody who says the Rose Bowl must have very low standards for a Championships stadium. In particular if you were a marching member.

-It was DIRTY ... not meaning in the spick and span way, but just didn't look taken care of

-Waaaaaay over-hyped

-The field was TERRIBLE (especially for those of us who didn't make a U-turn and have the lines re-done .. but not just the lines)

-All corps had to be bussed to the stadium (a step above the mile-long walk at Gillette, but still far below Invesco)

-If you had to perform slightly earlier in the day, the sun was ridiculous

-If you were waiting at the outside of the tunnels to get into the seating, there was a good chance you wouldn't make it through in time to be allowed to sit because of the congestion due to how narrow and long they were

the list could go on ... I really wanted my finals in CA (and especially the Rose Bowl) to be awesome, but the stadium is just crap compared to 90% of the other venues I marched at that summer.

I guess it's different if you were a spectator...

Not at all. You nailed it. From the buzzing light standards to the two-foot-wide tunnels leading to the stands, the Rose Bowl was a terrible performance venue for DCI. I was afraid to get up and get more water for the entire show, because I knew I'd miss at least two corps' performances. You can add to your list that the people sitting at the top/back of the stands were about four-and-a-half miles from the field itself.

Like someone else said, I was thrilled DCI Finals finally came to California but the Rose Bowl is a crappy stadium.

This Southern California boy voted for Camp Randall in Madison. Saw Finals in 1999 there, easily the greatest night of drum corps in my life. Folks, there's a reason DCI Championships have been held there more than any other site, and it's not just because it's the home of the Madison Scouts.

Rosebowl ! The half hour drive home after finals was the best.....

Hey Al! Who's The Old Guy in your avatar???!!!

My first choice... Invesco, Denver

Love Camp Randell.. but the seats (number seating on a bench) are too small, made for skinny collage kids.

I've always had a 'more full figured' person sitting next to me and was squeezed the entire show.

Fix the seats and this would be number one for me. :laughing: