Why do you love Crown?

Well frankly I don't see anything wrong with any type of music any corps decides to put on the field. As long as they perform it to the best of their ability and the show is well designed, I'm all for it, accessible or not.

Couldn't agree more.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sidenote: as a member of crown this past season, we referred to toccata as "the sweeney todd hit", but very sparingly.

99% of the time it was simply known as "the impact".

Congratualtions on a simply fantastic show! If not for what Phantom pulled off this year, you would've been number one in my book.

You must have missed my post where I said that I called Crown myself earlier today to clear it this up.

To repeat, they did not play Sweeney Todd this year. That section everyone refers to was an original composition based on the Toccata and Fugue. The marching members may have referred to it as Sweeney because "Epiphany" was also based on the Toccata and Fugue.

If you were to listen to, as one of '08 members called it, the "impact point" and "Epiphany" side by side, you'll hear the differences.

Quite frankly I'm just glad a design team and corps staff included in the show what could be called "the impact." Now imagine if all the other corps followed suit. It's drum corps. Loud is the point. :smile:

Quite frankly I'm just glad a design team and corps staff included in the show what could be called "the impact." Now imagine if all the other corps followed suit. It's drum corps. Loud is the point. :smile:

Variety, musicality, design, and excellence seem more of the point to me, and Crown has been one of the corps who have done just that. Not everything has to be only about volume. And frankly I'm a little shocked to see that statement coming from you as you did say that you thought that people didn't want this insubstantial "made for drum corps" repetitive nonsense.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Variety, musicality, design, and excellence seem more of the point to me, and Crown has been one of the corps who have done just that. Not everything has to be only about volume.

Of course, I'm not discounting that, but to me what set drum corps apart from other ensembles is the sheer, visceral power they can produce, more than any other acoustic ensemble. (I've seen tons of professional symphony orchestras; no way they match the volume and power of a top 6 drum corps. The drum corps sound better to me and I'll take that sound over an orchestra's any day of the week.) Crown embraces this wholeheartedly, even in the days of the dampened projectability of the Bb/F instrumentation.

Next on the list would be the things like you mentioned (melody, musicality, dynamic contrast, subtlety), but if corps focused just on this and not on being able to project an unbelievably massive ensemble sound like Crown, Phantom, Blue Devils, Blue Stars, etc., were able to do this year, I wouldn't go to another show.

Edited by Hrothgar15

And frankly I'm a little shocked to see that statement coming from you as you did say that you thought that people didn't want this insubstantial "made for drum corps" repetitive nonsense.

Hmmm? What does one thing have to do with the other? I wasn't referring to Crown's show as what you quoted, if that's what you're thinking.

Of course, I'm not discounting that, but to me what set drum corps apart from other ensembles is the sheer, visceral power they can produce, more than any other acoustic ensemble. (I've seen tons of professional symphony orchestras; no way they match the volume and power of a top 6 drum corps. The drum corps sound better to me and I'll take that sound over an orchestra's any day of the week.) Crown embraces this wholeheartedly, even in the days of the dampened projectability of the Bb/F instrumentation.

Next on the list would be the things like you mentioned (melody, musicality, dynamic contrast, subtlety), but if corps focused just on this and not on being able to project an unbelievably massive ensemble sound like Crown, Phantom, Blue Devils, Blue Stars, etc., were able to do this year, I wouldn't go to another show.

Excellent point. Loud is definitely exciting in drum corps. I know I've been to a few symphonies in the past that just does not compare to drum corps. But the thing that keeps me coming back to drum corps is how corps build to that impact point. To me, I think that's just as exciting as the impact points.