Bluecoats

you forgot that they were firing jolly rancher candies at other corps in order to dent their horns.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've managed to piece together from this thread that an ageout snare drummer a Bluecoats got drunk either before or during retreat and talked the whole drumline into playing high notes during America the Beautiful.

What do you mean, drumline playing high notes...do you mean that the d-line were playing horns, or there are drum parts during America the Beautiful they were goofing with?????

are there drum parts during America???

WOW...I hope this is a joke!!!

Yes, this is a joke.

If you want to find out what happened, the best thing to do is go find the Cadets Classy Retreat thread that was closed and is probably buried on page 6 by now. There are extensive reports of what people saw going on at retreat. I really don't feel it's appropriate to repost all of the complaints here because there is the desire from many that the specifics fade into the background so we can continue to focus on what was good about 2008. That is not an unreasonable desire, and I support it. In general, the principle here is that retreat behavior by a few marching members was a bit disappointing in light of a season of excellence and inspiration. It seems the consensus is that the powers that be are going to address the issue and we'll see the outcome next August.

The action that spurred this particular Bluecoats thread is that Dave Glasgow addressed one part of the situation publicly rather than via posts on internal corps discussion forums.

The America the Beautiful thing has never impressed me. In fact, every single time I've witnessed it being played at a large event for the last good number of years, it has stank. Screaming sops, some hanging over, some blaring with no control...it's all expected...at least that's what I have come to expect.

I used to hold out some faith that one day I will be surprised and actually hear the mass corps at regionals or finals play with the power that I would expect from 500+ horns. But, as it stands, it never builds to a climax and sounds like only one or two lines playing it...and poorly at that.

So I really believe that the mass playing of any tune at finals should be eliminated, because so far, it has failed to impress. Am I the only one? Has anyone ever gotten goose bumps from witnessing it?

And I really don't blame the corps for the lack of attention to it. Asking corps to be prepared to play as a group of 500 with little, if any practice devoted to it is asking quite a bit, especially during finals week. Of course the misconduct of corps members at retreat in finals is a different story...

Edited by ssorrell

The America the Beautiful thing has never impressed me.

And I really don't blame the corps for the lack of attention to it. Asking corps to be prepared to play as a group of 500 with little, if any practice devoted to it is asking quite a bit, especially during finals week. Of course the misconduct of corps members at retreat in finals is a different story...

Except it HAS been done well in the past...

The level of musicianship in DCI is certainly high enough to pull this off effectively. The problem is not being prepared to play it, but having the discipline to play it correctly.

I've never ONCE heard it played well in all my years of witnessing these retreats.

Agreed.

But even if we say, go back to the old style of retreat, where each corps plays its own signature tune while leaving the field, through the years (even back to my era of the 70s), even that has had mixed results. Some corps will do it right, others will not.

In the end, I think it comes down to the traditions of discipline in each corps, and how well that is instilled into the members. Some corps are less disciplined than others when it comes to items other than the competitive performance. Other corps carry that discipline all the way through in every single aspect of appearance.

What do you mean, drumline playing high notes...do you mean that the d-line were playing horns, or there are drum parts during America the Beautiful they were goofing with?????

are there drum parts during America???

Honestly, I'm not sure. I can honestly say there's no drum parts in America, but whatever that means as far as them playing high notes and throwing jolly ranchers, I don't know if they beat up some poor kid from Spirit or something and took his trumpet or if they built one from used shampoo bottles or if they honestly just buzzed until it sounded like a high note.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure I missed the point. I'm ok with that. :lookaround:

2nd: Now that the Director felt it neccessary to address this, why so late? This was a well known issue...

"Why so late" you ask? Glasgow's letter is dated 8/16/08. That's just 7 days after the incidents occured Do you really think his letter is late? I don't. And I appreciate his letter and his efforts.