Capital Regiment's Return

On Wednesday, July 30, Capital Regiment published a press release that announced that the corps “was now accepting applications for the 2009 season.” The press release also stated that “The past two years have been good for Capital Regiment and much has been done to address some things that needed attention.”

The drum corps community is always ready to welcome back an inactive corps that has made major progress to address the causes of its previous inactive status. In the past, corps that have been inactive and have announced their return have done a good job in publicly addressing what steps have been made to solidify the organization. I hope that Capital Regiment will come forth with information about what has been done to solidify the organization including answering questions like these:

How exactly have “The last two years been good for Capital Regiment”?

What exactly were “some things that needed attention”?

What is “much has been done to address some things that needed attention.”?

What is Capital Regiment’s status with DCI and what is the estimated timeline for the corps to return to a status of good standing with DCI?

Who is now involved with the effort to help Capital Regiment return to active status?

Is the list of Capital Regiment’s board of directors current?

Has there been any change in the leadership of Capital Regiment?

What is Capital Regiment’s financial situation?

There are other questions that should be asked to address specific concerns that were publicly presented or privately presented to DCI or Mr. Bays by myself and others over the past two years. I am confident that they will be asked as part of DCI’s evaluation process.

Here’s hoping that if Capital Regiment is allowed to return to active status by DCI, that the organization has indeed addressed its problems and that substantive organizational change has taken place.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Wednesday, July 30, Capital Regiment published a press release that announced that the corps “was now accepting applications for the 2009 season.” The press release also stated that “The past two years have been good for Capital Regiment and much has been done to address some things that needed attention.”

The drum corps community is always ready to welcome back an inactive corps that has made major progress to address the causes of its previous inactive status. In the past, corps that have been inactive and have announced their return have done a good job in publicly addressing what steps have been made to solidify the organization. I hope that Capital Regiment will come forth with information about what has been done to solidify the organization including answering questions like these:

What is Capital Regiment’s status with DCI and what is the estimated timeline for the corps to return to a status of good standing with DCI?

Who is now involved with the effort to help Capital Regiment return to active status?

There are other questions that should be asked to address specific concerns that were publicly presented or privately presented to DCI or Mr. Bays by myself and others over the past two years. I am confident that they will be asked as part of DCI’s evaluation process.

Here’s hoping that if Capital Regiment is allowed to return to active status by DCI, that the organization has indeed addressed its problems and that substantive organizational change has taken place.

Instead of painting a bleak picture, why not wait a bit and see what is going on. Maybe do a little work on your own. If they are a non profit 501c3, then I am sure if they want to avoid problems, they should have been doing things accroding to their state and federal regulations. I'm sure with so many "concerned" people out there, if there was an issue, they would have brought it to the proper groups and agencies.

Capital Regiment won't be back. They published their return before they applied to DCI. DCI had to step in to get the corps down the road and to make sure the kids were safe. I believe that Capital Regiment returning is something that will not happen. I would like to see more drum corps don't get me wrong.

These are all great questions. I trust you have sent this to the corps as well. Because little will happen to answer these questions by just posting them on DCP. But, I'm sure you already understood that.

Capital Regiment won't be back. They published their return before they applied to DCI. DCI had to step in to get the corps down the road and to make sure the kids were safe. I believe that Capital Regiment returning is something that will not happen. I would like to see more drum corps don't get me wrong.

That's what I've come to understand. Quoted for truth

Instead of painting a bleak picture, why not wait a bit and see what is going on. Maybe do a little work on your own. If they are a non profit 501c3, then I am sure if they want to avoid problems, they should have been doing things accroding to their state and federal regulations. I'm sure with so many "concerned" people out there, if there was an issue, they would have brought it to the proper groups and agencies.

I think it's fair to ask these questions, and it is not painting a bleak picture. If anything, it's supplying Capital Regiment board members/director with a blank canvas and providing them the opportunity to paint whatever picture they want.

Besides, with the issues that this corps has had (as well as it's director and previous founding board member who have been involved with a previous corps' folding), I think it's reasonable for people to not just blindly assume "third time's a charm with these guys" and hope for the best.

I would love nothing more than to see drum corps thrive in C-bus again. I would hate nothing more than seeing the hopes of Central OH kids, parents, and supporters crushed due to inept management of a drum corps. I wish Capital Regiment nothing but the best of luck, and hope that they can get their business in order and field a successful corps.

* edited for clarity

Edited by perc2100

Why? I can answer that.

It's because, to"wait a bit and see," isn't going to address the questions and concerns that need to be answered so I will be able sleep at night.

It's because, as a parent who experienced having a child march Cap Reg 06, I have a moral obligation to other parents to help them know what to ask before they entrust their child's well-being to this oganization.

It's because, they were a non profit 501c3 in 2006 as well and they had state and federal regulations they were to adhere to then and it wasn't a safeguard.

It is my hope that there has been a substantial change and that Cap Reg can, one day, make a return to competition but I wholeheartedly agree that those questions, and more, need to be answered before that can happen. If appropriate changes have indeed been made answering these questions shouldn't be a problem anyway.

I'd ask similar questions as to the financial status, staff choices, managment philosophy etc of ANY corps before my child marched there.

edited for grammatical errors and clarity

Edited by KeepOnFoodTruckin

Why? I can answer that.

It's because, to"wait a bit and see," isn't going to address the questions and concerns that need to be answered so I will be able sleep at night.

It's because, as a parent who experienced having a child march Cap Reg 06, I have a moral obligation to other parents to help them know what to ask before they entrust their child's well-being to this oganization.

It's because, they were a non profit 501c3 in 2006 as well and they had state and federal regulations they were to adhere to then and it wasn't a safeguard.

It is my hope that there has been a substantial change and that Cap Reg can, one day, make a return to competition but I wholeheartedly agree that those questions, and more, need to be answered before that can happen. If appropriate changes have indeed been made answering these questions shouldn't be a problem anyway.

I'd ask similar questions as to the financial status, staff choices, managment philosophy etc of ANY corps before my child marched there.

I could have written this! Thank you!

Things I've heard from a former member who talked to the director:

-Returning as open class

-Going back to old uniforms

-Financially secure

-Recognized '06 was a horrible year and would like to rebuild a new, better program.