Contra/Tuba Line

ussglassman

How many corps are going to be moving up to (roughly) 80 horns and/or 16 contras after seeing the successes of Carolina Crown's horn line this past year?

And I agree with Bruckner8, life is too short to worry about whether its called a contra or a tuba; both names get the point across.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no.... I just never showed up, and to this day I kick myself in the butt for not marching 2000 because of a girl. Then one of the members hurt her knee so she had to sit out the rest of the season.

UssGlassmen.... I would like to know why you hate the big dynastys. I marched one, and loved the way it played. Now every drum corps I have taught has had the 4/4 dynastys... I cant stand them. I know for a fact "the line" hated them in 2008 also.

Mark

"The Line" 98, 99, 01

I actually don't recall stating that I "hated" the Dynasty 5/4's. I marched a Dynasty 5/4 GG bugle in Mandarins in 03, and I honestly felt that the horn was not built for marching. There was nowhere to hold it comfortably, and I never could pump out enough air to get a decent sound out of it. I own a Dynasty 4/4 BBb, and when I first acquired it there were quite a few issues I had with it. Since removing 2 inches from the leadpipe, most of those issues have been remedied. I have been trying to get some feedback as to why everyone hates them so much. Mine isnt perfect, but since I've fixed it, I enjoy it quite a bit.

I like the new big Dynasties, at least the ones I've played. Kanstul still blows them away, though.

I like the new big Dynasties, at least the ones I've played. Kanstul still blows them away, though.

I know the Dynasty 5/4 I played actually produced a much nicer sound than the Kanstul, which I have extensive experience with. As far as which horn was better to march with, the Kanstul was the best, and looked the best on the field. The addition of the 4th valve IMO is what really keeps the Dynasty tubas from falling off the map. If they could keep that same 4 valve setup on a more balanced, player-friendly horn, they would have a great combination.

• 3 weeks later...
I know the Dynasty 5/4 I played actually produced a much nicer sound than the Kanstul, which I have extensive experience with. As far as which horn was better to march with, the Kanstul was the best, and looked the best on the field. The addition of the 4th valve IMO is what really keeps the Dynasty tubas from falling off the map. If they could keep that same 4 valve setup on a more balanced, player-friendly horn, they would have a great combination.

I march with a 4v G DEG and I like it much better than the Kanstul. I feel the balance is better and it puts out unfathomable sound. Also the lead pipe on the Kanstul is too close to the valves for me. This makes it way too uncomfortable. The 4v DEG has almost perfect hand-holds. Especially compared to the 3v which (to me) has almost none.

Mine is 16 years old and has had to have very few repairs. And the ones it has had were very minor.

As I was pondering some good contra lines, it clicked in my head "ya know, I recall thinking 96 Cadets had good contras. Or at least a good book. They played Tenderland too (which I did in 1984 SCV)"

So I did a search on the Evil Search Engine for Cadets 1996, and found it on there. Yup, I remembered correctly! Totally cool book; and you can hear every note. Very well staged at all times. They had some horses. Any of you guys march that line?

• 2 weeks later...
As I was pondering some good contra lines, it clicked in my head "ya know, I recall thinking 96 Cadets had good contras. Or at least a good book. They played Tenderland too (which I did in 1984 SCV)"

So I did a search on the Evil Search Engine for Cadets 1996, and found it on there. Yup, I remembered correctly! Totally cool book; and you can hear every note. Very well staged at all times. They had some horses. Any of you guys march that line?

Ha.

• 2 weeks later...
I LOVE that idea!!! There should definitely be a perpetual Konga memorial, either a trophy or a scholarship!!! You, sir are an out-of-the-box thinker. Konga would have approved of your thinking, although he probably would have demurred at the idea of a trophy named in his honor. Although, on second thought, he was not the MOST modest self-deprecating man in drum corps - but face it - he had a lot to be immodest about.

Man, Konga was Contra! God Bless him because with his wit and stoic patience combined with his unabashed love of life plus an ability to be absolutely optimistic, he will no doubt spin in his grave every time someone who describes a Contra Bass as a [insert swirly girlie hip-hugger double bass brass instrument here].

Please people, in honor of Ray Richardson, remember: If it looks like a Contra Bass bugle (no matter how many valves, pistons or sound altering devices you put on it and no matter what key it's in), it is a Contra Bass bugle.

Sorry to horn in. Just a Mellophone player who marched with the Man - you wouldn't understand.

RayRichardson-Contra1971.jpg

Ray in 1971 - Contra Bass St. Joseph Patron Cadets, St. Rita's Brassmen, New York Skyliners /Contra-Drum Major - Instructor, Mentor, Cut-Up and all around full human being. ATLATT!

Puppet

Man, Konga was Contra! God Bless him because with his wit and stoic patience combined with his unabashed love of life plus an ability to be absolutely optimistic, he will no doubt spin in his grave every time someone who describes a Contra Bass as a [insert swirly girlie hip-hugger double bass brass instrument here].

Please people, in honor of Ray Richardson, remember: If it looks like a Contra Bass bugle (no matter how many valves, pistons or sound altering devices you put on it and no matter what key it's in), it is a Contra Bass bugle.

Sorry to horn in. Just a Mellophone player who marched with the Man - you wouldn't understand.

RayRichardson-Contra1971.jpg

Ray in 1971 - Contra Bass St. Joseph Patron Cadets, St. Rita's Brassmen, New York Skyliners /Contra-Drum Major - Instructor, Mentor, Cut-Up and all around full human being. ATLATT!

Puppet

Did I see you at Konga's funeral? I was such a mess that day I don't think I would remember much besides catching up with Ruben.

It was a beautiful day, but it was an awful day.

How many corps are going to be moving up to (roughly) 80 horns and/or 16 contras after seeing the successes of Carolina Crown's horn line this past year?

And I agree with Bruckner8, life is too short to worry about whether its called a contra or a tuba; both names get the point across.

As far as I know, Cadets and Phantom are going that route.