Rained out show

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone remember the 1987 DCI Midwest Finals in St. Louis? I DO!

We were standing in the tunnel waiting to go on. Scouts were on the field when the bottom fell out. They finished their show but the rest of the night was cancelled. It took all we could do not to get washed down the tunnel. The water was FLOWING!!!

Two things about that show: I had NEVER witnessed such continual lightning. It was like being in the middle of a paparazzi stake-out. I had also never seen such a cascade of water down steps. It was an absolute deluge.

People hung around under the stadium and eventually dispersed. Word the show was cancelled slowly leaked around the assemblage of fans. There might have been an announcement, but I don't remember such.

As soon as everyone left, the rain stopped and the show probably could have gone on...if the field wasn't real turf. I don't remember.

In 1976, the home show in DesPlaines, IL for The Cavaliers got rained out. Blue Stars were in the middle of their opener, "Jaws," when the skies opened up. People were running for cover towards the Maine East HS field house. I heard an instructor state that the crown ran in terror when someone screamed, "Shark!"

Chicago was a nightmare afterwards because so many parts of the Dan Ryan Expressway were under water.

Seems to me that it rained in Des Plaines in 1975 too. We were there and one of our contra players started playing an Indian Rain Dance...the skies cleared after that. In fact at one of the parades (July 4th) someone thought Blue Rock was there...it was just the little ole Royal Coachmen from NY.

Two things about that show: I had NEVER witnessed such continual lightning. It was like being in the middle of a paparazzi stake-out. I had also never seen such a cascade of water down steps. It was an absolute deluge.

People hung around under the stadium and eventually dispersed. Word the show was cancelled slowly leaked around the assemblage of fans. There might have been an announcement, but I don't remember such.

As soon as everyone left, the rain stopped and the show probably could have gone on...if the field wasn't real turf. I don't remember.

In 1976, the home show in DesPlaines, IL for The Cavaliers got rained out. Blue Stars were in the middle of their opener, "Jaws," when the skies opened up. People were running for cover towards the Maine East HS field house. I heard an instructor state that the crown ran in terror when someone screamed, "Shark!"

Chicago was a nightmare afterwards because so many parts of the Dan Ryan Expressway were under water.

1967 Reading Municipal Stadium, National Association Championships. Brookhaven Crusaders on the field and half way through the show the rain begins. By the time we got to Magnificent Seven, it is a full and heavy downpour. We finish the show soaked to the skin. The crowd, many of whom stayed in the stands, cheering wildly.

We won the show.

DCM finals and I can't remember what year. BUT, cars were literally floating down the street. My wife and I left before scores so we didn't get trapped. Can anyone fill in this story?

Atlanta, 1979. There was so much water accumulated on the Astroturf that at one point, our guard routine more closely resembled synchronized swimming, LOL! :tongue:

It had poured buckets of rain all day long. Then the rain eased up for the show that night . . . but only temporarily. It let up long enough for us and the Kilts to perform. We made it through our show (swimming, almost literally, in the standing water on the Astroturf field), but then there was another torrential downpour, complete with thunder and lightning, and the show was eventually called off (though I think Spirit did a standstill under the stands).

Edited by byline

I remember that rain out in 89 LOL

My best rain memory was Regiment in 96.

In madison, just after we got the corps on the field a torrential downpour started.

They asked if we wanted to pull the corps off the field and our director simply said.. "let em go"

The corps performed a great show in insanely bad conditions the left the field.

I know alot of people remember that one

I remember that rain out in 89 LOL

My best rain memory was Regiment in 96.

In madison, just after we got the corps on the field a torrential downpour started.

They asked if we wanted to pull the corps off the field and our director simply said.. "let em go"

The corps performed a great show in insanely bad conditions the left the field.

I know alot of people remember that one

Here's the article about it on DCI.org.

Seems to me that it rained in Des Plaines in 1975 too. We were there and one of our contra players started playing an Indian Rain Dance...the skies cleared after that. In fact at one of the parades (July 4th) someone thought Blue Rock was there...it was just the little ole Royal Coachmen from NY.

I know the show wasn't rained out and I remember rehearsing that afternoon because it was my first show as a corps member. It might have rained between the rehearsal and the show, but I don't remember it.