2000s - New Era of Phenomenal Hornlines

Does anyone notice a great improvement to DCI hornlines through these last 9 years?

My favorites go to:

2000 Cadets - Loud, that's all I gotta say and I love it (nasty trumpets at the end though)

2000 Blue Devils - What a great great sound and control as they were dashing through

2001 Cadets - Thickest horn book of the 2000s, no questions asked on this one

2003 Blue Devils - Squeaky clean

2004 Blue Devils - Some of the best stylistic interpretations

2005 Cavaliers - Probably the best blend I've heard, I actually thought they should have taken brass

2005 Cadets - LOUD and Squeaky clean (though a little top heavy, everything fit in the pocket so well)

2006 Phantom Regiment - Just a gorgeous sound

2007 Cadets - The most angry, sizzling, loudest hornline of the 2000s. Yeah, Angry.

2008 Carolina Crown - Great sound

Edited by ZealJ03

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I agree... some excellent hornlines.

I would also add the 2005 Blue Devils hornline. I know that the show was very unpopular, but based purely on sound, I'd rather listen to that hornline than almost any I've heard (along with Cadets 2007). Just listen to the first minute or so of that show and tell me that sound isn't unreal.

Does anyone notice a great improvement to DCI hornlines through these last 9 years?

My favorites go to:

2000 Cadets - Loud, that's all I gotta say and I love it (nasty trumpets at the end though)

2000 Blue Devils - What a great great sound and control as they were dashing through

2001 Cadets - Thickest horn book of the 2000s, no questions asked on this one

2003 Blue Devils - Squeaky clean

2004 Blue Devils - Some of the best stylistic interpretations

2005 Cavaliers - Probably the best blend I've heard, I actually thought they should have taken brass

2005 Cadets - LOUD and Squeaky clean (though a little top heavy, everything fit in the pocket so well)

2006 Phantom Regiment - Just a gorgeous sound

2007 Cadets - The most angry, sizzling, loudest hornline of the 2000s. Yeah, Angry.

2008 Carolina Crown - Great sound

Great list top to bottom. 2001 Cadets might be heading up that list. After 7 years i still don't understand how they (01 Cadets) finished 3rd in brass that year.

i hate to be the one to mention it but it's so obvious as to why they suddenly got SO much better all at the same time starting small in 2000 and huge in 2001. actually, i won't mention it :tongue:

I think that hornlines have become better technically over the last several years, but I really enjoyed the sound of the G horns back in the day. It had a flare the the Bb's don't get. It's not that they aren't good, I just have to disagree that they are better than the years before the Bb hornlines. I think it took much more time to find the center of pitch and the tendencies of the G bugle. These are issues that the members of today don't have to deal with. The hornlines of old made do with what they had and were in some cases magnificent in spite of playing on much inferior equipment. Just my 2 cents.

i actually agree. having played both, I know how difficult they were to manage and have a TON of respect for some of the great G lines. I also don't think that players today are more talented than ones of 10-20 years ago. However, the improved equipment has made it possible to achieve a higher overall quality of performance

Great list top to bottom. 2001 Cadets might be heading up that list. After 7 years i still don't understand how they (01 Cadets) finished 3rd in brass that year.

Because they stood still, walked and laid down for half the show. It really hurt the difficulty of their show. Also BD was pristine in 01.

Edited by DevTrev

Because they stood still, walked and laid down for half the show. It really hurt the difficulty of their show. Also BD was pristine in 01.

Eh....give em 2nd at least then. I dont really know bd 01, but i have seen that cadets show, and even if their was some down time (like what plenty of corps get away with nowadays)....they still were moving a ton in ypg and farandole

2000 Cadets were loud, but I thought they were too strident. BD handled the new key much better IMO.

2001 Cadets had a far better handle on the horns, and the book was jaw droppingly dense.

2002 Cavies. Sparse book, but incredible blend, and tone.

2003 is tough. BD stood out. Cadets were loud but I saw 03 as a bit of a plateau for horns.

2004 changed that with SCV, Cavies, BD, all very nice lines.

2005 Bluecoats. I loved the book, and the line had a nice solid sound. A little edgy but nice. Cadets were clean. Listen to any suspended chord in that show for proof.

2006 Cavies. PR was nice in Ave, but largely I just don't dig PR's sound.

2007 Cadets. Loud. Effing loud. Bluecoats were phenomenal. Best hornline I think they have ever fielded.

2008 Crown. Wow.