Which brass instrument should I (attempt to) learn?

davidsampson

Get your hand on the horns themselves. Buzzing a mouthpiece is nothing like actually playing the horn. Especially on the upper brasses.

One other factor might be your cadiovascular conditioning. If you're one who takes big hearty breaths during /after a run, low brass might be better suited to your abilities. If you can run seven minute miles and talk to a buddy the entire time, then you might find upper brass a little more to your liking.

I've marched them all for all intents and purposes. Each has their pros and cons. Weight is only an issue that first season or two. Beyond that you're well conditioned to handle most horns. I knew a clarinet player in HS that marched Cymbals in Drum Corps, then turned around and Marched / Solo'd on Baritone his senior year in HS.

I find the Baritone and Euphonium easiest to play. In that while running around a football field and playing at the same time, you're breathing rate is almost equal to what one normally breathes. On the upper brass you feel like your holding your breath all the time, while running around a football field. And for all intents and purposes, you are. On the lower brasses you have no speed limits, you can play as loud and such as you can muster. On the upper brass, if you try to push past what is natural, you get diminishing returns. Upper brasses literally force you to hold back.

Given the register of your main and your practice on a trumpet mouthpiece, I'd say go with a Mellophone. They're fairly easy to play, with a mellophone mouthpiece. But if you have perfect pitch, you might find it a bit annoying to play. The choice is obviously yours. One other factor for mellophone is that it's bell heavy, and the bell is big enough and close enough to your face, you wont have that great of a field of view. Better than a contra for the most part. But if you're one to look around (audience / field / stadium) while doing your show, it'll obstruct your view. Not to mention the where's waldo effect when it comes to seeing the drum major.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the approximate ranges I might be playing on mellophone, as well as the lower trumpet parts? Also, if I were to buy a horn of some kind, would it be worth it to buy a mellophone?

It depends on how YOU define worth. For ME if I feel that I can sell the horn for what I paid for it, then yeah, it's worth it. Free rent for all intents and purposes. But if I can't sell it at costs, then it's like I'm paying that much more dues than everybody else. And while I try to be a nice guy for the most part, I'm not striving to be that nice.

You could always borrow one. Many band directors would be willing to let you borrow one, with conditions. Rent, repair, or participation, depending on your circumstances.

What are the approximate ranges I might be playing on mellophone, as well as the lower trumpet parts?

The mellophone part depends on the corps and if you are playing lead or 2nd. Same applies to lower trumpet parts. However, I find most lower trumpet parts top out around the top of the staff on average. Lead mellophones I would surmise would go to the high A-Bb range (like an F on trumpet). Lower mellophones top out at F on average. However, this is what I find to be the requirement in Open Class books. In World Class, I bet the ranges are roughly the same with the mellophones sometimes in unison in the upper register. Also, for mellophone in World Class, you'd need a strong grasp on your entire range though you may be playing within the staff most of the time on 2nd mellophone.

Seriously, if you're a beginner, you probably won't be on lead parts no matter which instrument you pick.

Have you ever heard the beautiful soprano solo from BD 1988, "Since I Fell for You?" (the last tune) That was played by Tim Root, the mod "Big Brother" on the Blue Devils Discussion Board.

Tim's principal instrument was clarinet.

Edited by wvu80

You will have a challenge early season with baritone, your body will catch up though. Its more than worth the extra work to play low brass. It is easiest to learn in my opinion. As long as you have a good ear for chords you will be fine. The amount of time your playing melodic lines compared to supporting parts is relatively small. Dont take that as the parts arent fun. Counter melodies and really fun chords are all over the place!

As a bass clarinetist, I know all about playing harmony / counter-melody / chord parts. And I love them! So I suppose I will go with baritone unless something else presents itself that would work better.

As a bass clarinetist, I know all about playing harmony / counter-melody / chord parts. And I love them! So I suppose I will go with baritone unless something else presents itself that would work better.

If you are a bass player on woodwinds, your not going to be happy playing anything but tonic or 5th parts. Go for the big horn, tuba or euph. Let the "little" people play the woosey 3rd part notes. Besides, the REAL chicks dig the big bad boys and their big toys!

If your primary goal is making it into a corps of a certain level... then baritone/euphonium... seems like less auditionees per available spots, and these people are the most likely to flake leaving spots to fill late in the preseason.