An Idea

If Chicago gets the games, they could modify some of the events...like these:

The cement overshoes 100 M hurdles.

I was imagining the cement overshoes 100M butterfly, but then, that's just me.

I think the "Chicago Piano" trap shoot might be a great new event (for more interest, just launch all the targets at once). Or, they could add to Track & Field the 100M Stiff Carry (first person to get his/her "dead body" into the trunk of a car wins the gold).

Reminder: Cadets also did a good job at the Statue of Liberty re-dedication in 1986.

Edited by Dale Bari

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In regards to olympic bid politics, I seriously doubt Chicago will get the games, Im hearing that the IOC is leaning towards Rio De Janeiro in Brazil.

Isn't that the same thing as Mesopotamian five way wrestling

:rock:

Time to use that Encarta program from Microsoft. Mesopotamia ain't anywhere close to Mongolia! Though I'm pretty sure history may show that Mongolia may have come to visit Mesopotamia.

Mongols in Persia and Mesopotamia: from AD 1256

Hulagu (brother of Kublai Khan) crosses the Amu Darya river in January 1256, beginning the Mongol campaign against Islamic Persia. The region has been terrorized in recent years by the Assassins, but this extremist Ismaili sect meets its match in the Mongols. One by one Hulagu takes the Assassin fortresses, including the supposedly impregnable Alamut.

At the end of 1257 Hulagu presses further to the west, into even richer lands. He and his horde move into Mesopotamia - the territory of the caliph, and as such the ostensible centre of the Islamic world.

The caliph in Baghdad, al-Musta'sim, risks the impossible. In January 1258 he sends an army against the approaching Mongols. The Muslim army is routed by Hulagu, who orders the caliph to appear before him and to destroy the walls of the city. When the caliph declines, Hulagu besieges and sacks Baghdad.

It is said that 800,000 of the inhabitants are killed, including the caliph - who is executed by being kicked to death.

In 1259 Hulagu and the Mongols take Aleppo and Damascus. The coastal plain and the route south to Egypt seem open to them. But in 1260 at Ayn Jalut, near Nazareth, they meet the army of the Mameluke sultan of Egypt. It is led into the field by Baybars, a Mameluke general.

In one of the decisive battles of history Baybars defeats the Mongols. It is the first setback suffered by the family of Genghis Khan in their remorseless half century of expansion. This battle defines for the first time a limit to their power. It preserves Palestine and Syria for the Mameluke dynasty in Egypt. Mesopotamia and Persia remain within the Mongol empire.

We now return you to discussing the remote possibility of drum corps at the Olympics, assuming they are rewarded to Chicago.

Garry in Vegas

In regards to olympic bid politics, I seriously doubt Chicago will get the games, Im hearing that the IOC is leaning towards Rio De Janeiro in Brazil.

A lot of folks have ben saying that, but Brasil already has the World Cup in 2014, so the IOC may wish to spread the wealth.

Plus there's the almost-apocalyptic poverty in half the city of Rio.

I don't remember SCV in 1984, but I do remember 1980 and 27th Lancers in Lake Placid.

As I recall, SCV turned down the invitation because it interfered with tour too much.

They had The Cadets in '96 - Atlanta.

Yah but Cadets did that weird marching band block with the slapstick band director. Why didn't they just do their show?

Hah...I just went online and did the same thing and here you beat me to it!

Opening ceremonies would be in the thick of the competitive season, so some alterations would need to be made there to work in the Olympics. Closing ceremonies would be just prior to the World Championships, which raises a timing question.

But since the Olympics have never come close to a DCI Worlds site, if something could be worked out, it would be great exposure.

Can't you just see tens of thousands of new fans grooving to a soft ballad or something extremely musically esoteric?

How about having an actual competition as a demonstration sport in the Olympics? :smile:

The closing ceremonies wasn't about drumcorps, it was about closing out the Olympics American style. The Cadets drove all night after performing at DCI East in Allentown. They put the show together that day and performed it that night. They are one of 3 or 4 drumcorps that could have pulled that off at such a high level, and they did an excellent job.

Say what you want about GH and his crew, but they consistenly look for high profile performance opportunities for the kids, and often they are sought out for such things. They not only performed that seasons show, but they worked out a nice bit with Bill Irwin after. I think they did a great job representing marching music and drumcorps.

They did not throw the program together that night because they previewed it in Madison at least a week before.

If memory serves me, the Cadets did do their field show in its entirety at the Olympics - and on a field with no lines or hash marks - and then did the humor bit with Bill Irwin afterward.

From the YouTube video, it appears that they did one field piece, then went to the Bill Irwin thing.