Worst stadiums ever

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Wherever the show was in 1985 in Canada around Montreal but not at the Olympic stadium. It was a converted Soccer field, tall grass full of deep hidden pot holes...a real chop buster plus I was horribly horribly hung over from our free day in Montreal. A painful experience all around.

2) The field where the Bridgeman had their home show in 82. Fun crowd, awful stadium, crazy ### neighborhood!!!

:mat:

I remember the old July 4th show in New Berlin, WI in the late 70's. they layed out a football field in an open area behind City Hall adjacent to where they had the festival with tents, rides, and beer and brats. They brought in portable bleachers and the field had potholes the size of manhole covers, and there had to be a 15-20 degree slant to either side and front to back. :smile:

Always angry to know there was a beautiful football field 1/2 mile down the road, but of course they never thought of selling tickets and letting people crowd that place.. :smile:

always fun trying to be louder than the canned music next door at the festival tents. :mat:

Pat

:mat:

I remember the old July 4th show in New Berlin, WI in the late 70's. they layed out a football field in an open area behind City Hall adjacent to where they had the festival with tents, rides, and beer and brats. They brought in portable bleachers and the field had potholes the size of manhole covers, and there had to be a 15-20 degree slant to either side and front to back. :smile:

Always angry to know there was a beautiful football field 1/2 mile down the road, but of course they never thought of selling tickets and letting people crowd that place.. :smile:

always fun trying to be louder than the canned music next door at the festival tents. :mat:

Pat

I remember that field. In 1985, I think, we went on first and as we entered the field I noticed our staff was picking up loose bricks and debris as well as moving a picnic table which was sitting on the field. nd those potholes were seriously dangerous.

I echo Michael Boo's comments about the old Ames Field in Michigan City.

Back in the day, there was an Illinois drum corps circuit (can't remember the exact name) that fielded very small, young corps and had competitions around the Chicago area. Some of those contests were in parks with portable bleachers brought in. I also attended a DCM show in a park in Rosemont sometime in the early 1990s.

But the most memorable was a DCI show in a little town south of Grand Rapids, Mich., I think it was 1996. Stands were old and wooden, about 10 rows high, perched on the bank of a creek. First part of the show was all small corps. But then the Crossmen came out and I literally thought those stands would tumble into that creek.

UW Whitewater... (the mosquito Capital of the World)

The Pontiac Silverdome ... (aptly nicknamed "The Barn" for the echo)

Olympic Stadium in Montreal ..( approx. 100 meters (Canadian measurement) from the stands)

CNE Stadium in Toronto.. (approx. 100 miles (American measurement) from the front stands)

and also (but definately not finally)... Univ. Alabama-Birmingham... ( nice place in the midst of a total ghetto... 79 horn line would have been mugged during warmups if there weren't close to fifty of us!)

sorry for showing my age....... BUT

my favorite stadium and sentimental favorite................. DILBOY FIELD IN SOMERVILLE, MA

Actually the CNE Stadium wasn't that bad to march on, but it doesn't exist any more.

From a fan perspective, Rose Bowl, Bristol RI were the worse. From a marching perspective, Buffalo's Drums along the Waterfront (baseball stadium), but the very worse was one field in New Jersey that was so covered in divots and goose droppings that we almost didn't let the kids go on the field. We had 3 horn players slip and fall in it and I had to to close my eyes when the color guard was doing somersaults and lying down on the field..... The worse part of it was we had housing with no shower facilities & had to take the kids to a car wash and hose them down afterwards. :thumbup:

But the most memorable was a DCI show in a little town south of Grand Rapids, Mich., I think it was 1996. Stands were old and wooden, about 10 rows high, perched on the bank of a creek. First part of the show was all small corps. But then the Crossmen came out and I literally thought those stands would tumble into that creek.

I remember that show---I have a picture somewhere of the "stadium"

Edited by Fishbone

Whatever happened to Manning Bowl?

Rubble....

Manning_Bowl_011_02.jpg

Grand Rapids Michigan

ScannedImage-3.jpg

That is the front sideline stands

Edited by Fishbone