DCI messes up embouchre?

heyboiay

I have heard from several people that marching in DCI, will ruin your lips if you wish to pursue a career in a professional orchestra? Is this true? I play horn, (mello for marching) and was just curious if this is true or not.

First, check out http://www.mellocast.com/ paticulary episod #10

Second, join the mello cast group on facebook and ask Jazz hornist and mellophone player Mark Taylor questions

Third, Buy: A Mello Catechism: A Guide to the World of Mellophones and Marching Horns by Dr John Q. Ericson, Associate Professor of Horn at Arizona State University

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From playing on a small bore Dynasty horn in drum corps to my large bore concert euph, I can say that there is not much of a problem switching back, as drum corps always helps focus on breath (at least with every marching ensemble I have been in), meaning that there's even less of a difference when get back, as you're focusing on breath instead of the chops. (mind you, I am a 'weekend warrior' with not as much experience as others).

I find that if you do have a problem going back after drum corps, it is usually more of a stylistic thing than a physical thing. I walked into corps, where they trained out my vibrato (to make the unified, dark brass sound), and while this is just ducky for ensemble playing, it makes solo playing a little limp.

Edited by CookieMonster

Drum corps messed up my emboucher two different seasons. But both times were because I wasn't paying attention to how I made the sound, or would just do stupid things and play in the worst possible ways to put out more sound.

If you know how to set an embouchure and your staff knows what they're doing, you should never have a problem with your chops.

most of the examples being presented in this thread are trumpet players. Lets remember that a trumpet is a trumpet no matter what. French Horn and Mellophone are VERY different instruments and must be approached differently. The only thing I think they have in common is the the key they're in. Mellophone uses more of a trumpet embouchure, so just be careful....there's a reason many music education-horn players are not allowed to take trumpet. I would say do what you want. However, in doing what you want, pay close attention to what's going on, you don't want to do anything that will hurt your horn playing. It's very easy for us trumpet/trombone/tuba players to say "no biggie" but when it comes to Horn vs. Mellophone, I would be extremely cautious. Also, all people are different in their playing styles, so the only way to truly find out if it is going to have any effect on your playing, is to find a mello and try it out.

It won't mess up your emboucher but you will have the tendency to play really loud and beast like.

Another thing to consider, if you march DCI with the real intense rehearsals and eventual professional like playing, you may experience a change in you attitude.

You'll view a typical marching band as not at all challenging. This happened to kids going to DCI and then returning back to my High School Band and also happened to me when going to a Small College Band after DCI.

Of course, later if you have gotten out of the activity, you will just be happy to have a group to play with and appreciate the smaller things in the activity.

This post is a repeat entirely. >_> not that I don't agree, but, yea...

most of the examples being presented in this thread are trumpet players. Lets remember that a trumpet is a trumpet no matter what. French Horn and Mellophone are VERY different instruments and must be approached differently. The only thing I think they have in common is the the key they're in. Mellophone uses more of a trumpet embouchure, so just be careful....there's a reason many music education-horn players are not allowed to take trumpet. I would say do what you want. However, in doing what you want, pay close attention to what's going on, you don't want to do anything that will hurt your horn playing. It's very easy for us trumpet/trombone/tuba players to say "no biggie" but when it comes to Horn vs. Mellophone, I would be extremely cautious. Also, all people are different in their playing styles, so the only way to truly find out if it is going to have any effect on your playing, is to find a mello and try it out.

I agree. they are completely different. However, it is very possible to do both. I learned horn one year, and got pretty good at it. I saw the horn players in marching band on mellophones, and thought "if I am good at this, I must be good at mellophone too!" So I see a local DCA corps has a mellophone spot. I ask my director to check one out. Well, sure enough, I can make... A sound, and can play the notes... all the sixteenth note runs and the like... the only catch, I sound like a duck. so I go to the corps rehearsal all gung ho about everything, and they are just like "Uhh... lets give you trumpet this season...." So that is all I played that summer. I went back to horn the next school year, and I did have a lot of difficulty. But I wouldn't attribute that difficulty to the trumpet playing so much as I would attribute it to not playing horn. If I had practiced horn that summer, I would be golden, as now, I play both horn and mello, and I do them both quite well.

Edited by crazymello

I agree. they are completely different. However, it is very possible to do both. I learned horn one year, and got pretty good at it. I saw the horn players in marching band on mellophones, and thought "if I am good at this, I must be good at mellophone too!" So I see a local DCA corps has a mellophone spot. I ask my director to check one out. Well, sure enough, I can make... A sound, and can play the notes... all the sixteenth note runs and the like... the only catch, I sound like a duck. so I go to the corps rehearsal all gung ho about everything, and they are just like "Uhh... lets give you trumpet this season...." So that is all I played that summer. I went back to horn the next school year, and I did have a lot of difficulty. But I wouldn't attribute that difficulty to the trumpet playing so much as I would attribute it to not playing horn. If I had practiced horn that summer, I would be golden, as now, I play both horn and mello, and I do them both quite well.

You hit the nail on the head there!!!!!!

How many trumpet players, after you got a piccolo trumpet, practiced only the piccolo for several days without touching your regular trumpet, then went back to your Bb and went, "what the heck happened here!" :laughing:

A lot of this thread is geared towards those that think DCI corps use "peashooter" mouthpieces to attain their sound while marching and that most trumpet (pick your high brass instrument) have no clue that MOST hornlines actually do preach the use of larger mouthpiece sizes for sound quality. Now as a FMM of DCI we all know that there are tones of LEAD players who get away with using ##A4A type mouthpieces and my saying is "to each his/her own". As long as I teach though I don't allow it and maybe that is because I am a professional trumpet player and a drum corps vet and a horn instructor who values the education of my members.

The other good argument for most is using CHRIS MARTIN and his brother Michael who both have marched drum corps, are very highly acclaimed trumpet players orchestrally and do not tarnish the drum corps idiom for it's current teaching methods.

There are many pro's that use small mouthpieces. Go tell Roger Ingram, Bobby Shew, Allen Vizzutti that their pieces are to small. Many players with efficent, closed apps play on small equipment. I'm not one of them but to say that going to large equipment is the way to a better sound and playing on small equipment is cheating is hog wash. Bud Herseth played a 7B for many years till an injury then he went larger. I say his sound was huge.

Also the 3C seems to be the standard. Funny, the Bach 3C cup is shallower then the 5C or 7C. I would of been forced to switch because off a .005 difference in diameter despite the fact my cup is deeper, throat is larger and my backbore is huge. Besides I hate the 3C rim. At least there are good makers out there that will make your mouthpiece on a Bach blank for you and stamp a fake number on it. I know someone that did this and marched for 3 seasons on around a 7C with a different rim.