Most corps ever from a single town

The big youth bands in the Milwaukee area - The Racine Elks, Lake Band, the Milwaukee Elks and the Conntinental Youth Band - no, that's not a spelling error - were very competitive and also hotbeds for recruiting into drum corps. Lots of kids went from the Conntinentals to St. Matthias, the Mariners, and the Kilties.

There were also several highly competitive drill teams in Eastern Wisconsin that fed some members to local drum corps--Green Bay's Northern Step, Sheboygan's Buccaneers and Accents, and Greendale's Mariners.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not in the US but....

In Middelburg (Netherlands), we had, at one time, 4 drumcorps in one town: Juliana, Blue Spirit, Blue Spirit Cadets and Johan Friso

On a population of only 40.000!!!

There two left right now: Juliana and their feeder corps Johan Friso.

Whose drum major was none other than Micheal Cesario.

The big youth bands in the Milwaukee area - The Racine Elks, Lake Band, the Milwaukee Elks and the Conntinental Youth Band - no, that's not a spelling error - were very competitive and also hotbeds for recruiting into drum corps. Lots of kids went from the Conntinentals to St. Matthias, the Mariners, and the Kilties.

Heh...forgot about Michael. I was one of those early recruits from the Elks to the Kilties. Gettin OT here, but I believe Michael only did the DM thing for the Elks his last year or two. Up until then, he played contrabass clarinet in the concert band, piccolo in the marching side, plus, if IIRC, he was teaching the color guard within a year or two after joining. A very fun, and funny, guy to be around. Visiting his parents' house in Kenosha with Michael and his brother Jeff (the standup comic) around was an absolute riot.

Heh...forgot about Michael. I was one of those early recruits from the Elks to the Kilties. Gettin OT here, but I believe Michael only did the DM thing for the Elks his last year or two. Up until then, he played contrabass clarinet in the concert band, piccolo in the marching side, plus, if IIRC, he was teaching the color guard within a year or two after joining. A very fun, and funny, guy to be around. Visiting his parents' house in Kenosha with Michael and his brother Jeff (the standup comic) around was an absolute riot.

I thought he marched Kenosha Queensmen, or is that in addition to Elks?

Just thought I'd interject this.........a conversation took place many years ago between my father and Lee Wolf while sitting at the bar at Post 979 on Marshall Road in Upper Darby, PA. They started listing the corps from the greater Philly area and came up with 33 Class A corps and a bunch of parade and class B corps. That might say a whole bunch about corps back in the day.

J

I thought he marched Kenosha Queensmen, or is that in addition to Elks?

AFAIK, Michael was never associated with the Queensmen (or any other corps) during his marching years--just the Elks band from mid 60s to early 70s. Not sure when/where his first connection to drum corps occurred. Sorry, OT again...

Belleville IL and immediate 'burgs surrounding in late 50's - early 60's (total pop 50,000) had 13 -15 (2 -3 all girl), yes most were small, but rivalries were intense.

Well, I don't think there was actually 13 to 15 corps in the Belleville area back in the 50's or 60's, but Belleville did have four corps during those decades...The Black Knights, Millstadt Crusaders, and two all girl corps the Bellettes and Gabrielettes.

Well, I don't think there was actually 13 to 15 corps in the Belleville area back in the 50's or 60's, but Belleville did have four corps during those decades...The Black Knights, Millstadt Crusaders, and two all girl corps the Bellettes and Gabrielettes.

Well, I am no longer in a position to check old microfiche of 'Belleville News-Democrat' at library, but I distinctly remember back 1997 or so counting that many from St Claire County as aside to doing a school history project with kid #1

but like I said - most were probably 35-45 members back then...

If you include suburbs then NYC will definitely win. The suburbs (just NJ) include Garfield, Dumont, Hackensack, Hawthorne and others, which had drum corps in them.

That would also include Newark, Harrison, Bayonne, Oradell, Wayne, Dover, Rockaway, the list goes on for miles! This list also includes NY's Rockland County, Long Island, and a small part of Connecticut.