Anyone Have a Review of the DCA Mini Corps Show?

No I didnt. What was on this original post I have retracted.

I am sorry I posted anything. I dont get an opinion because I am Donny.

Donny

Donny,

Though your post is funny, I think it's time to pick up the ball on this from dca's point of view.

The mini-corps contest has gone from more of a judged exhibition for bragging rights (Scranton years) to a highly legitimized contest with preparation and performance at "another level."

Having said that, the criteria for success on the sheet must be explored, agreed and publicized for the benefit of all the corps, the participants and the audience.

If you polled the audience or the judges on technical expertise in brass and percussion, ensemble cohesiveness in combination with entertainment, I believe the result would stand up: Star United won the day. (the judges had them first on both sheets and in both captions)

But, add the elements of visual (Ghost Riders) and there might be a difference of opinion.

Or, weigh the sheet for individual performer effectiveness (George, Donny, Frank, Joe, Vinnie) and showmanship (Erie, MCL, Mass, West Sayville) and it becomes a different contest altogether.

Happy to throw my hat in the ring as a volunteer mediator on this one. There will need to be compromise and I don't have a dog in the fight :)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Donny,

Though your post is funny, I think it's time to pick up the ball on this from dca's point of view.

The mini-corps contest has gone from more of a judged exhibition for bragging rights (Scranton years) to a highly legitimized contest with preparation and performance at "another level."

Having said that, the criteria for success on the sheet must be explored, agreed and publicized for the benefit of all the corps, the participants and the audience.

If you polled the audience or the judges on technical expertise in brass and percussion, ensemble cohesiveness in combination with entertainment, I believe the result would stand up: Star United won the day. (the judges had them first on both sheets and in both captions)

But, add the elements of visual (Ghost Riders) and there might be a difference of opinion.

Or, weigh the sheet for individual performer effectiveness (George, Donny, Frank, Joe, Vinnie) and showmanship (Erie, MCL, Mass, West Sayville) and it becomes a different contest altogether.

Happy to throw my hat in the ring as a volunteer mediator on this one. There will need to be compromise and I don't have a dog in the fight :)

Excellent Post,.............we (MCA) have been toiling with these concepts and subsequent implementation as a group for a few years now,...............we have made much headway because of the opinions of folks such as Donny's, Ponzo's, Rod's, Strutta's, the Cap'ns, and many, many others,.............is their more we can do?,..................sure!

As stated above, we have come a looooong way!

Edited by Gary Matczak

Joey Cav...

I have been asked not to comment about the scoring sheets that I helped create. But thanks for your input. I value your opinion.

If anyone wants to know anything more than that, I would love to talk on PM on DCP or at donnymusic1@hotmail.com.

MCA is toying with the idea of individual awards for best soloist, and individual showmanship.

BTW I said earlier on this thread (before the show) that the judges would have a tough job, kudos to them. I do also agree that Star United and Mass Brass were the cream of the crop. Unfortunately I didnt get the opportunity to see MCL, but having judged their field corps last year, I know what they have for talent. I do not doubt they were also in the outstanding level.

Donny

yeah I know...CASH CAB

Don I don't see how you have ruffled any feathers. Any judging system need constant review. Questions should be asked. That keeps judges on their toes.

What is much more frustrating to judges or administraters are complaints about scoring from people who know nothing about the sheets.

I have found this thread helpful to me. I listen, Bob Cardeneo listens and the DCA listens. There are sometimes things we can't do, but you can be assured that fairness to all competitors is the first thing we always look at.

We've been in Rochester three years. By far it has been the best Venue for I&E. But if you notice each years there have been subtle changes to help the contestants compete and the crowd enjoy.

My review, everyone was great. I took a week off from judging and will see you all in Albany. There are probably several bands happy about that.

Now for the real problem for you guys. Forget Star and the great job they do. Rumors are that just possibly the boys from Geneva may make an appearance next year.

See you in Albany.

You mean that the Swiss are comin'??????????????

Well, yodle-o-e-ooooooooooo!!!!!!

Joe

OK, maybe just their rudiments????

Now for the real problem for you guys. Forget Star and the great job they do. Rumors are that just possibly the boys from Geneva may make an appearance next year.

See you in Albany.

Oh Lordy Be! I hope you aint planning on playing Richard...

[i wanted to play Donny but I just don't have that Military bearing anymore.