Are electronics driving people away?

I'm pro-electronics, but the miked brass thing has me worried. At any of the band shows I've worked, I don't like the sound of miked instruments (woodwinds, mostly) at all. It sounds tinny and ....well..... not good. LOL.

Plus, I've never had a problem hearing a drum corps brass soloist or ensemble, without microphones. So regarding this particular rules change...I gotta wonder.

Fran

i hear ya there. every attempt i've seen with mic'd brass at the band level has been a disaster

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pro-electronics, but the miked brass thing has me worried. At any of the band shows I've worked, I don't like the sound of miked instruments (woodwinds, mostly) at all. It sounds tinny and ....well..... not good. LOL.

Depends on how you set up the system. I have used a mic flute to open the "Ghost Train" show for my band in 2005..not tinny at all...this year I wrote a solo for our ballad for a micced English Horn...sounds just fine.

NO! Read into what the people are leaving are saying! Some are blatantly saying, "I'm 'retiring' to spend more time with my family" "I'm leaving to spend more time working on my orchestral work, electronics, etc."

Nobody in their right mind who leaves a high profile job is ever going to say "I'm leaving because of the direction of design in drum corps" or "I'm leaving because I really can't work with some of these people any more." They ALWAYS say they're leaving for very lovely reasons. ALWAYS. It's not that people read into what the departing folks say. They just know that the whole story (IF there is more to it, and sometimes there's not) is never told in public.

Regarding the original question: I don't think electronics are driving design people away necessarily. I do hope that designers will remember the general consensus that acoustic > electronic and avoid trying to replace amazing acoustic-driven GE with cheap gimmicks.

yes, electronics has decreased the number of drum corps fans.

i hear ya there. every attempt i've seen with mic'd brass at the band level has been a disaster

Depends on what is being micced and how the levels are set, among other things. Our district split into two HS a few years ago, and we were VERY tiny that first year....19 winds total, brass and WW. We ended up miccing the baritone, tuba, our one second trumpet, along with eight of the WW players (not the piccs). We did not try and sound like 50; just used the miccs to give the players a bit more presence on the field...worked out VERY well for us.

I am interested in seeing just what the use of micced brass is intended to do in corps shows, unless it was just an idea to have available "in case" a design team sees the need...might not even see it next year.

Regarding the original question: I don't think electronics are driving design people away necessarily. I do hope that designers will remember the general consensus that acoustic > electronic and avoid trying to replace amazing acoustic-driven GE with cheap gimmicks.

I hope designers remember that they are the ones who should create the shows they wish, and if it includes electonics, great...if not, also great, because acoustic is NOT > electronic, regardless of the DCP "consensus". The use made of whatever technology or instrumentation is available is the important thing to me.

Depends on how you set up the system. I have used a mic flute to open the "Ghost Train" show for my band in 2005..not tinny at all...this year I wrote a solo for our ballad for a micced English Horn...sounds just fine.

Oh...yeah, sure.... YOU do it right, but what about everyone else!!! :tongue:

Mike, I hope it works for whatever DCI corps decides to use it... but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Depends on what is being micced and how the levels are set, among other things. Our district split into two HS a few years ago, and we were VERY tiny that first year....19 winds total, brass and WW. We ended up miccing the baritone, tuba, our one second trumpet, along with eight of the WW players (not the piccs). We did not try and sound like 50; just used the miccs to give the players a bit more presence on the field...worked out VERY well for us.

I am interested in seeing just what the use of micced brass is intended to do in corps shows, unless it was just an idea to have available "in case" a design team sees the need...might not even see it next year.

Wow, that's a LOT of money for a small school. Kudos for pulling that off.