What was your “first” Drum Corps show?

"First Drum Corps Show":

"May" have been the old senior "Parade of Champions" in Connecticut in 1957, or 58. It's been a while. I remember Hawthorne, Archer Epler and Reilly Raiders. The "First Junior Show" in 1959 at Randalls Island had the then National Champions Blessed Sacranment and St Vincent's Cadets on the card. The "First Nationals" was Miami, 1961, with the undefeated Chicago Cavaliers taking back the title from Blessed Sacrament.

The "First DCI Show" was "Drums Along the Rockies" series in 1972. Santa Clara Vanguard and Blue Stars were trading victories, with Casper Troopers and Argonne Rebels behind them. "First DCI" was Whitewater 1972, with the Kingsmen upsetting SCV and Blue Stars for the win.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first was a Dallas show in 2006 I think...my drum instructor told us to go there and watch phantom's line warm up. I had never heard of a drum corps by then, so I had no idea what to expect (I was imagining it all on a stage for some reason :tongue: ) I got there and watched Paul Rennick tune the drums...for at least an hour it seemed like...

Being the impatient guys we were, we decided to go in and see Blue Devils. They had recently rehersed at our school, so I had an idea of their show and liked it alot.

I sit here now, 2 years later, realizing I had missed seeing one of the best drumlines of the decade up close. :tongue:

My first experience was going to the 1986 DCW show at Cerritos College. I was 10 then and I only went because a parent took me. I don't recall enjoying it because I wanted to be playing with my legos. I really regret that because I love the 86 BD show. I wish now that I would have taken in the moment.

Fours later during the band camp in the summer before my Freshman year my section leader who had just came back from marching with the Freelancers showed me a recording of the 1990 Freelancers semifinals show. As a freshman bando dork I thought that was awesome. I have been a corps nut since that day.

Edited by supertbone

The first show I saw, was the first show I was in. Cary, NC, June 26th (ish) 1981 with LI Kingsmen. We went on first. 2 young horn rookies led the corps on the field........marching up the 45 to the opening set. EXCEPT, we were supposed to be on the 50!! I don't remember anything else about our performance.

We finished the show, put our equipment in the retreat block and went back into the stadium. I know I didn't get to see Defenders but then North Star came on. Then Spirit, Bridgemen and finally 27th. I fell in love with 27th from that moment. I was so amazed by that show - Crown Imperial, Niner Two........and the guard was so awesome. I will always remember 81 as a great drum corps season.

I eventually march in 27th for 2 years. I also marched senior corps for 8 years. Met my wife in drum corp ( however, that didn't work out). My daughter marched winter guard last year and wants to go back again. I'm proud of her.

Drum corps gave me incredible memories, friends that I have cherished for over 25 years now, and a precious daughter.

well my first experience was back in 2001. we had a tech that marched vanguard in 2000 and he later marched in 02 and became drum major in 03. any ways he brought the finals dvd from 2000 and the whole band saw it and i was impressed. so that same week we go to the san antonio show and i was blown away from the performances. the sound was amazing! i've never seen like it. after that i was hooked. i have to say it was one of the best experiences of my life.

I started following DCI in '84, but didn't get to attend a show until '88. I got a great introduction to live drum corps at DCI South in 1988...Santa Clara and Madison were both there!!!!! I was completely hooked!!!!!!!!

Great topic and one of my favorites -

Original Poster - I think I marched in the first show you saw. If the Blue Knights were in the lineup that night I know I did. I'm glad I played a small role in bringing you to the activity.

FIRST SHOW FOR ME: 1979 PBS telecast. I found it by accident flipping through the TV Guide Magazine 10 minutes before it started. The show came on and while I, a high school trumpet player in the rural south, didn't know drum corps, I did know Maynard Ferguson and there was Maynard talking about how great this activity was for kids......if Maynard thought it was great then I thought it was great. I thought I might want to march someday.

FIRST LIVE DRUM CORPS - I saw a clinic done by the fabulous 1980 Spirit of Atlanta. The run-through was not in uniform but that horn line left an impression I have never forgotten. I started buying DCI Yearbooks and the DCI LP's that year.

FIRST LIVE COMPETITION - Cary, NC in 1981. Headline corps were the 27th Lancers, Bridgemen, North Star, and Spirit of Atlanta.........all fabulous yes, BUT the thing is, I was totally hooked for life by the time the first corps of the night, the fantastic Long Island Kingsmen played their last note.

1st live show:

Ft. Walton Beach, FL

7/5/80

Spirit of Atlanta (WOW!!!), Crossmen, North Star, Imperial Guard, Suncoast Sound, Florida Vanguard

1st DCI:

1980 Birmingham (spectator)

1st show marched:

Lynn, MA

6/12/82

with the 27th Lancers

Clifton, NJ - 1996. Forgot who else was at the show but two corps I remember were Blue Devils and Cadets. I loved BD's show but Cadets had me sold on drum corps and I knew that's where I wanted to march.

I sit here now, 2 years later, realizing I had missed seeing one of the best drumlines of the decade up close. :tongue:

I can beat you on that one.

My first show was Finals Night in Orlando in 2003. I had just heard of this "drum corps thing" the previous school year when I was a freshman at band camp. My high school's drum major and guard captain were marching in Magic. I went to see the show with my mom, one of my best friends, and her mom. During intermission, my friend's mom says, "I'm tired... let's get on the road and head home." (It's a 3 1/2 hour drive from Orlando to my house, and school was starting that Monday) Well, I started crying like a little baby, and I missed 2003 Phantom, Blue Devils, Cadets, Santa Clara Vanguard, Cavaliers, and whoever else was after intermission! Of all years to miss watching finals as a spectator... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

I asked my mom, while being dragged out of the Citrus Bowl, if I could possibly march one day. I finally got off my butt and did it two years later. I haven't stopped since.