What was your “first” Drum Corps show?

1974 Hershey, PA DCA show which was about 7 months after I joined my first corps.

Also about 4 months after my first corps folded and I joined my second corps. :w00t:

About 9-10K people in the stands and the front side was sold out so saw my first show from the back side. (#### I missed those days.) Big drawing card was dog fight between Cabs and Buccs. Winning corps got booed and many programs thrown. Sitting on the back side my whole family had a great view of the "program blizzard". :cool:

Only effect on me was realizing this sure as Hades wasn't High School and WTF was I getting myself into.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got hooked on Tuesday, August 9, 1977 in Martin TN. Little did I know that that night would begin a lifelong love affair with Drum Corps!

1 Kilts 81.050

2 Garfield Cadets 79.700

3 Guardsmen 79.450

4 Crossmen 78.550

5 Capitol Aires 54.300

6 Sword Excalibur 50.800

My first live dci show I ever attended was the first show that I performed in at Lake Erie, too bad we had to leave right after we performed and didnt get to see any corps perform except for a glimpse of the cadets playing rocky point down the hill from our trucks.

This is all a bit fuzzy for me. I remember that I must have known that drum corps existed my sophomore year (1982/83) in high school (which was my first year in marching band) because I created some sort of Basic (the language) computer program using the previous year Finals results (I think). Anyhoo, our band director took us to a show in Pittsburgh that next Summer (1983). I really don't remember much about it. I do know that Bridgemen and Cavaliers were there because I wanted a Bridgemen drumline shirt and they were sold out, so I bought a Cavaliers drumline shirt. The Bridgemen shirt said something like "The drumline to see in '83". I just checked corpsreps and it was a pretty good show. To be honest, I must not have paid much attention. I was pretty clueless at that time.

1 Garfield Cadets 71.800

2 Spirit of Atlanta 63.900

3 Cavaliers 58.750

4 Bridgemen 57.450

5 Geneseo Knights 54.100

6 Colts 41.000

Some "geniuses" decided to sneak a cooler of beer on one of the busses and they all got kicked out of band that year. One of them was a snare drummer who ended up going to Bluecoats that next year (1984). Even though I was still kind of indifferent, I thought that I'd like to march. I talked to that friend of mine several times throughout the Winter of '84/'85 about marching, but I didn't because I didn't want to leave my girlfriend (biggest mistake of my life).

I then went to a show in Columbus, Oh in '85. Went to see a Madison clinic and bought a Madison shirt at the show. At that point I was bound and determined to march, but still kind of indifferent about drum corps, just thought it would be fun to do. I picked up information at the Crossmen booth thinking I might want to march there (after all, they were in Finals the previous year), but decided that I probably wasn't good enough yet. So I decided to go to that Bluecoats corps that my friend marched with, gain some experience, then move on to the big boys. I found out pretty quickly that I wasn't as good as I thought I was, and I also had found a home in Canton. (Side note: Bridgemen were at the Columbus show in '85, but are not listed on corpsreps.)

The first actual show I marched in was Toledo in '86. Don't remember much about it except that we didn't have any mallet holders so we put the mallets we weren't using down on the "J" hooks of the carrier. I don't think I dropped any but there were a bunch of tenor mallets on the ground by the time we were done.

Orlando, FL 2004

Just a sophmore in high school (or about to be)

Got to see the Cavies do 007, and I was overwhelmed. I'd never really seen anything better than our area's high school bands. After that, I tried to get as many people from high school to see that show, and got acquainted with some other cool shows. So far, from my old high school, we now have (including me) four people who marched this past season, and next year, we should have three more joining us.

My first live show was the 3rd of July in 2004. I was a sophomore in high school and went to go visit family in Rhode Island. They found out that I enjoyed marching band and they thought it would be a cool thing for me to see. The corps that really sold me on Drum Corps was the Cadets. The energy that they put into their performance was infectious, I couldn't help but cheer. . . I decided that I march in the Cadets, and this past season was my first season as a Cadet and I can't wait to go back. . . :tongue:

Haha, I was in my first drum corps show, at FirstBEAT in South Carolina in 2006.

Haha, I was in my first drum corps show, at FirstBEAT in South Carolina in 2006.

I always find these responses interesting. It's almost not believeable that someone would actually march somewhere BEFORE they ever saw a show live. Although, I only saw two shows before I marched.

San Antonio 2005. The first corps I saw was the Santa Clara Vanguard

I loved every second of it

I believe my first live show was 1979 Innovations in Brass in Canton, Ohio. I remember Phantom was there and won the show. My Brother was with the bluecoats (who didn't field that year) and they were running the scores for the show.

I then saw a few shows in 1980 including Key to the Sea in Toledo since my brother was marching with Bluecoats.

I didn't join until 1982 when I turned 15. I wish I had marched in 1981 but was probably too young still.