What was your “first” Drum Corps show?

I grew up watching my uncle march with the Paterson Cadets (remember when almost every city had a 'Cadets'?). So I started marching at age eight. paterson Lamplighters; Paterson Crusaders; Wayne Monarchs; Belleville Black Knights; and NY Skyliners.

When other kids were singing whatever songs were popular at the time, I'd be running Corps tunes and shows through my head! I would know the corps arrangements for a lot of songs but had no clue as to what the originals actually sounded like! A true DC geek in my day.

But to me there was nothing as heart thumping as going to the Dream each year in Jersey City.

Wayne Monarchs! :thumbup:

I had dinner with Frank Dorittie a few years back when I was on a trip to San Francisco, and we were talking about drum corps. Even before I told him I wrote their percussion book back in the mid 70's he mentioned how he always loved what the Monarchs/King's Regiment did, show-wise. Very creative music and drills.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, let's start up the "old school" machine.

My first drum corps experience happened circa 1968. I was eight years old. My small hometown of Medford, WI had it's annual Mink Festival. (there was no PETA back then). It was capped off with a parade. The usual marching bands, Miss Hayward Muskie Princess, Medford Mink Princess, floats, etc. There was one group that sounded different than the marching bands. They were "brassy" with really cool drumming. They were all girls in kilts! After the parade they put on an exhibition. I asked my dad if boys could do that also. He told me I could if I wanted to wear a kilt and I could find a way to get to Racine. Did all drum corps members wear kilts?

So guess who popped my drum corps cherry?

The Belles of St. Mary from Rhinelander, WI

2003 Thunder at the Mountain Marietta, Georgia at Kennesaw Mountain High School. A show I performed at.

First corps I hear is Corpsvets, then we come on the field, perform, get a standing ovation.

Then come back and watch Crossmen, Phantom Regiment then Spirit. All three of those shows are still in my top 5 of all time and they will probably will be forever.

Spirit then arcs up in the parking lot after the show and play Georgia feet from me...

Edited by CoHmempho04

I can't remember my first Drum Corps show, although I know it was somewhere in Connecticut, or so my parents tell me. After all, how much can you remember when you're 6 months old? :thumbup:

my first show was in 2003. Ankeny, IA. Cavaliers were way ahead of anyone else there. blew me away. I went on to see dekalb with a friend and indy (on a total whim, got there at 5am before the show)

As far as first show that influenced where i marched, id have to go with charles city, ia in 2004. I saw the blue stars, who looked like they were having a ton of fun. I knew at that show where i'd be heading come november.

probably before 1960...but my first VFW Nationals that I watched was Cleveland in 1964. Went to Chicago in 1965 again as a spectator, started marching in 1966.

Donny

Wayne Monarchs! :tongue:

I had dinner with Frank Dorittie a few years back when I was on a trip to San Francisco, and we were talking about drum corps. Even before I told him I wrote their percussion book back in the mid 70's he mentioned how he always loved what the Monarchs/King's Regiment did, show-wise. Very creative music and drills.

Imagine what Jack would think of the way the activity has evolved. I bet he would love it!

Imagine what Jack would think of the way the activity has evolved. I bet he would love it!

I think you are absolutely correct. He was a VERY forward-thinking guy, and IMO a genius at putting together a great drill...mostly all carried in his head. He was an amazing man.

1978 Pacific Procession at Spartan Stadium in San Jose, CA.

I was a performer in the SCV "B" Corps. I think we just did a little standstill.

Show included:

Blue Devils

SCV

Freelancers

Anaheim Kingsmen

Troopers

VK

Man, '78 was a great year for drum corps.

wow I feel really young reading alot of these. I heard of DCI two years ago. I went to DCI Southwestern championships in San Antonio in 07. I fell in love lol.