Thoughts and Questions on 1976

Also, "Channel One Suite" was the longest piece of music played in a DCI show up to that point.

But it isn't. They stop for fourteen seconds for applause between "movements" one and two. The DCI yearbook talked about Channel One as being "performed to a continuous, flowing drill," and then I saw it and I thought, "But, but ,but, they just stopped. It doesn't flow continuously at all." So, no. And Argonne had done a whole show based on Bernstein's Mass two years prior, so it wasn't the longest by synechdoche either.

I think there's plenty of other stuff to lionize that 1976 show for(and I bow to Vickie Kingsmen's assessment of the drill points, which I hadn't realized). I just don't see it as mind-blowingly innovative on paper.

But it isn't. They stop for fourteen seconds for applause between "movements" one and two. The DCI yearbook talked about Channel One as being "performed to a continuous, flowing drill," and then I saw it and I thought, "But, but ,but, they just stopped. It doesn't flow continuously at all." So, no. And Argonne had done a whole show based on Bernstein's Mass two years prior, so it wasn't the longest by synechdoche either.

I think there's plenty of other stuff to lionize that 1976 show for(and I bow to Vickie Kingsmen's assessment of the drill points, which I hadn't realized). I just don't see it as mind-blowingly innovative on paper.

"Mass" was a compilation of several different pieces of music with little musical thread connecting throughout, (though there are some motifs that repeat...I own the score.).

"Channel One Suite" was still one piece of music, whether or not there was a stop on the way.

Hence the word "synechdoche."

"Channel One Suite" was still one piece of music, whether or not there was a stop on the way.

Channel One, by Bill Reddie, is three distinct segued movements. The same technique he employed for the BR band on West Side Story and Midnight Cowboy.

Channel One, by Bill Reddie, is three distinct segued movements. The same technique he employed for the BR band on West Side Story and Midnight Cowboy.

Yes, but I'm holding that it was still one piece of music, just as "La Sacre de Printemps/The Rite of Spring" or "The Firebird" is one piece of music despite having several "tableaus."

We might all be getting hung up on semantics.

Yes, but I'm holding that it was still one piece of music, just as "La Sacre de Printemps/The Rite of Spring" or "The Firebird" is one piece of music despite having several "tableaus."

3:34 am Mike, huh? You sleeping OK?

Michael,

May I correct you? "Le Sacre du printemps"

Michael,

May I correct you? "Le Sacre du printemps"

Hey, remember how early it was when I wrote that.

And I had to take an analysis course when I got my degree in composition that spent six weeks on that piece alone.

Le/lu, de/du...Sometimes it's just easier to write "The Rite of Spring," but I've never liked that since a far more accurate interpretation would be "The Consecration of Spring.

Uh, what was this thread about? 'Cause I just forgot.

• 2 weeks later...