Lesson in Representing Your Corps

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok probably one of the people was me. I am very sorry for my behavior. But let me put in my 2 greatly chilled cents in. I walked right behind 4 Cabs ( who were in uniform) they were let out of the gate but I wasn't. I was just sticking up for my honor. That's right I thought if they could go through the gate I should be able to also.

Peace out

Well clearly, another case of East Coast Bias......... :bigsmile:

I can't even type that without giggling like a school girl...........

"There's a definitive and distinct difference between engaging in crowd control and threatening to fine a group for "parading without a permit" when they're crossing the street in uniform. "

well.........

did you guys have a permit?

at what point is a does organized walking become a parade?

these are the questions DCA needs to answer immediately.

and get recaps up sooner. ( I can't believe they dont have the recaps up for next years wildwood show yet. the nerve........)

we will leave the Scranton brown shirts in Scranton if you don't mind...

the first time I was being your typical jerk corps director who was going to get what he knew was right one way or another... I still can't believe the gestapo pulled a gun on me... 1990 or 91 I think...

Years later, the second... was when I was the only person in the stadium with a suit on... credentials hanging and couldn't look more in charge if I tried and the clowns tried to arrest me for talking to Jimmy Russo... IT'S ALL RUSSO'S FAULT...

Seriously, I believe we actually began a much needed and serious reform in the various Scranton police departments. I was actually interviewed by several media type and they said that the root of the problem was deep and that the incidents at the drum corps show just showed how bad it was...

I should mention that the gun was pulled by a Moosic Town Cop... it was Sheriffs many years later...

hey tom:in 1993 at scranton i was "profiled" by the same cops.some person "walked"on his check at the stadium bar/restaurant.apparently this guy looked like me.(i always thought that was funny)dennis cappella walked me to said establishment where it was confirmed that i was not the person they wanted.but the brown shirts trailed me,for the rest of the night.anyone who knew me and what i looked like in those days will see the humour in this incedent!

I guess I was just lucky enough to pick the proper gate to go in/out of. I was never even told which gate it should be I just guessed right and all of the "Rent-A-Cops" I dealt with were helpful and kind. I did see a situation where someone who was not a marching member but held a ticket was told they had to go to a different gate. They raised hell with the guy and he got a bit hot, but when he was done getting belittled by this person, and they moved on to the proper gate, he turned to me saw my wristband and let me through with a smile.

I did not encounter this, but reading about exiting the stadium through a specific gate seems a bit silly. If you are going out, you are going out. Other than the performance entrance gate, why does it matter which gate you go out?

The only thing I had a problem with was on finals night. Why is there not a stamp or wristband for performing corps to enter the stadium to watch? We were told half uniform was good enough to get in and that held true. However, while this works for horns and battery to wear their bibbers, many guards don't have uniforms that would allow for wearing only half. Then you have the issue of eating in uniform. Some corps prohibit it, while for others it just may not be a good idea. Sure it is the last show of the season, but walking around the stadium in uniform with crowds carrying food and beer and not paying attention except to their own little world is just asking for a problem. Please let us leave our uniforms in the bus and give us a wristband or stamp.

Taking into consideration the inherant foot traffic problem our activity creates (performance entry/exit and spectators), I think the DCA people that walked the stadium and planned the layout for our event did the best job they possibly could. With the way Paetec Park is laid out along Broad St and where the parking and gates are located, something had to give and I think they came up with the best solution they could.

But back to the original thought of this topic "Lesson in representing your corps"........

I think there is just a general lack of thinking (or possibly even caring) about how people perceive you and your comments and actions and how that can reflect on your corps. I admit that I have been guilty of this myself. I have seen something on the field that I really didn't like and commented on it to the person I am with. Usually I will comment quietly to them so as not to disturb the others around me that are enjoying the performance, but, without thinking, I have said things out loud too. That is not good whether wearing a corps jacket or not and it is really something everyone should think about.