Star United and the Finals Exhibition

Not sure if you want to talk to me then. :music: Blue Rock and I-men were the first two corps Westshoremen ever beat after reforming (week before 1975 DCA).

Blessed Sac kicked our butt..... :music:

We started out pretty good (was it in the RCA circuit?) that year. Won High brass in the first show. But never really got rolling and everyone passed us by Prelims.

But.. this thread it NOT about THAT! :thumbup:

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK back on topic.... kinda.....

Any idea if MCA is planning to run another competition in Harrisburg, PA same day as the Fourm Show in 2009?

Yep, day after driving home from DCA and already thinking of next year.....

And still here helping the US Navy stay afloat. Hey Sara! Hope life is good.

For anyone's info (and trivia buffs). 5 of us were in '85 Star. Two of us in SU went to Star in '85 for our age-out years.

We truly enjoyed being able to come back to Rochester and play for the crowd(s). And for someone who aged out in '85 and saw all the Star years it was especially sweet to be able to put foot to turf again in the stadium Sunday. For all we knew following the Bucs with ony 18 horns was potentially dicey.

It sounds like all the mini-corps brought great performances and I'll have to wait for the DVD to catch them. Thanks again.

Kim

Life is really good - sorry I missed you guys at DCA this year - the video clip from Sunday night performance was outstanding. Hopefully we can catch up in person sometime soon!

Thanks Tom!

Before Moran and Coulson beat me to it for playing Bari, "Even a broken clock is right twice a day!"

Nice seeing you again in Rachacha

Wish I coulda seen your whole performance. But, I saw you guys in Harrisburg and was NOT surprised that you were in the hunt for first.

My point is, that the top Mini-Corps all have A LOT of talent; seasoned performers; access to great arrangers and instructors.

Friday's show demonstrated that there are many of them who can be competitive with the very best. I guess it's just gonna take a little more to finish on top.

Edited by brassomaniac

First off, thanks to all for the kind words. It's pretty neat hearing from everyone, whatever it is they have to say.

Let me tell ya a quick little story- I never had the chance to participate with Star on the field, as I was a freshman in 1993. My high school was not into promoting 'marching band' - so by the time I was introduced to DCI, it was too late for me to get involved. (Heck, I didn't know about DCA until Star United called me up either)

I was lucky enough to make 2nd trombone in the final version of Brass Theatre in 1998. I was brought in by a friend from high school who thought I'd like it - and I did.

It wasn't until after 3/4 way through the summer that I started learning about Star's past and how they got to where they were in 98. After hearing about all the different things they achieved, I had a dream, to someday get onto the field and play with a "Star" group.

Walking out onto the open air stadium with 20 of my fellow Star United friends was totally awesome. It was quite a moving moment - one of the coolest things I've ever done. Being able to stand in front of thousands of people and perform with Star United was incredible. Standing next to one of the founding baritones and knowing what this meant to him, and to all the other members.......... wow

Thanks to everyone who cheered. I hope some of you enjoyed it 1/2 as much as I did.

Wish I coulda seen your whole performance. But, I saw you guys in Harrisburg and was NOT surprized that you were in the hunt for first.

Tom,

It was one of those performances where things just clicked for us, it felt like we we on stage for just a few minutes and it was over. The crowd could not have been nicer to us and their response was sincerely appreciated. :music: I know we just fed off of them.

Thanks to everyone I met over the weekend for the kind comments about Mass Brass. While it didn't get me a free cup of coffee or a discount on the tickets, it meant a lot, and the feeling after the performance/crowd reaction on Friday night was one of my favorite drum corps moments ever!

THANK YOU!!! :thumbup:

BTW, since I see her lurking here, THANK YOU Amber for texting me Friday night with the results.

The reason it took three texts for me to get the message? A really hot 24 year old. :music::music::peek: But it's ok that you interupted me. :thumbup:

Back on topic...I hope I get to check out a DVD of all the mini-corps from this year, I always enjoy the heck out of Mass Brass and I have yet to actually hear the Golden Eagles.

Edited by SaraNYC

70% of income from playing as the definition of a professional is what I have always heard.

That doesn't mean that if you make less than that you are not playing at a "professional" level.

If your neighbor pays you to mow their lawn once a month does that make you a professional landscape technician?

Pay for play = Professional

Are you saying that 90% of the people in the anytown Philharmonic or symphony are not professionals?

Are you saying the guy that plays the hotel lounge on Friday and Saturday night or the occasional wedding is not a professional?

Are you saying that a Music teacher is not a professional?

Are you saying that the guy who the union hall calls to play the circus or broadway show in the horn section who needs to read his arse off is not a professional?

Are you saying the guy who plays jazz gigs and teaches lessons is not a professional?

Are you saying that the guy who plays in a the local big band is not a professional?

Are you saying that the guy who plays in the orchestra with the local playhouse is not a professional?

I only made about $6,000 off of my horn last year, so currently I am not by strict definition a professional at this time, although I do still play for pay.

hey don't be so modest, you are a pro,.........

I have made 100% of my income for many years in the past, does that mean I am a professional now?

yes, it does

Should I be barred from participating? Should Joey Pero, or Roger Grupp, or Peanut from 'gades, or the guys from MCL?

(there are many others, I just don't know all your names!)

nope, not at all................but when the group is largely comprised of professional musicians, teachers, etc, it is a lot different

I hope my discussion of my understanding of the semantics of the word professional removes the sting of my supposed insult. :thumbup:

No, it doesn't