Star United and the Finals Exhibition

So then, in your world, we should foist "your" personal preferences on everyone else instead of allowing an organization to innovate?

("your" means anyone who thinks Star is DCI, should go away, dislikes their rep, etc. etc.)

So, by your logic, instead of someone keeping their mouth shut, congratulating Star for a great performance, and being accepting of new things in the minicorps activity, we should marginalize, demoralize, and call into question these fine people just because of their repetoire?

(yes, I'm baiting you, and yes, you're wrong)

I stand by my statement. If the things happening in the minicorps circuit upset you (the generic "you", not you personally), perhaps you would be better off at a different event/venue. I picked Alumni because it seemed apropos to the ongoing conversation. It was a complete lack of class to scream at the corps after their opener. Again, if you don't like what they're doing, go elsewhere. The DCA weekend is full of something for everyone.

Again, I will not stand by and see these fine musicians go through what the DCI field corps went through, and will fight for them. We let a magical organization get away in DCI. We can't do it in DCA too.

Jerald,

I am pretty sure that he was only saying that by telling them to go to the Alumni Spectacular instead you were taking a shot at the Alumni as somehow "less" than the competing corps. Are they at the same technical level? Of course not, nor do they want to be. They are different, and that is good. I think that this particular sidebar discussion is bred of simple misunderstanding between the two of you...

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scooter,

I see you are reading this thread. Pretty awesome individs solo, my friend. And even better in the ensemble. Thanks for the encore on the Plaza loading dock. That will be an all-time memory for me.

This discussion had to happen, by the way.

We all heard the cheers. We all heard the other stuff. In Empire, we dealt with that for many years.

I guess excellence has a way of making some folks a little uncomfortable.

When you guys think about dca, think about people like Frank Ponzo who is dca in microcosm. He is a champion on all levels and his opinon actually does matter. He has expressed his opinion here and, as far as I'm concerned, is a qualified source. He is a do-er, not a talker. He is a competitor who would rather play Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl and lose a hard fought game than beat Toledo in the Consolation Bowl and call himself a winner.

Keep coming and kicking a**. You, Becky, Jeff and company are welcome at my party anytime.

Hey, Tom........tell me more...........who is your director and what is his sons name/instrument/years, etc. Sorry, this is just too good to pass up........but notice that I'm not posting any smart@ss remarks

Joe

Hey! Me too!

With the Interstatesmen.

Our Director had a son with Blue Rock, and he SO did not want to lose to them. (we did, tho)

Hey, Tom........tell me more...........who is your director and what is his sons name/instrument/years, etc. Sorry, this is just too good to pass up........but notice that I'm not posting any smart@ss remarks

Joe

Our Director (of the 70's Interstatesmen) was the late Clarence Hayward, Sr. He also ran the Speigleaires, a few years before the Avant-Garde merger.

And he went on to form the Troy Defenders, after the "New" I-Men of the mid-70's.

His son is Clark. Played for Speigs in the 60's, early 70's, and later Blue Rock. I think he played sop for Speigs, and maybe mello for Blue Rock.

Know him?

Edited by brassomaniac

If it would be who I think it was........a drummer??????? I left in '74

J

Our Director (of the 70's Interstatesmen) was the late Clarence Hayward, Sr. He also ran the Speigleaires, a few years before the Avant-Garde merger.

And he went on to form the Troy Defenders, after the "New" I-Men of the mid-70's.

His son is Clark. Played for Speigs in the 60's, early 70's, and later Blue Rock.

Know him?

Scooter,

I see you are reading this thread. Pretty awesome individs solo, my friend. And even better in the ensemble. Thanks for the encore on the Plaza loading dock. That will be an all-time memory for me.

This discussion had to happen, by the way.

We all heard the cheers. We all heard the other stuff. In Empire, we dealt with that for many years.

I guess excellence has a way of making some folks a little uncomfortable.

When you guys think about dca, think about people like Frank Ponzo who is dca in microcosm. He is a champion on all levels and his opinon actually does matter. He has expressed his opinion here and, as far as I'm concerned, is a qualified source. He is a do-er, not a talker. He is a competitor who would rather play Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl and lose a hard fought game than beat Toledo in the Consolation Bowl and call himself a winner.

Keep coming and kicking a**. You, Becky, Jeff and company are welcome at my party anytime.

Joey,

Thank you for the kind sentiments and for charging up the hill on our behalf. As always, we'll cover your six. I've also sent you a PM.

Now, let's disperse this gathering before we all start pelting each other with rocks and garbage. I can hear the Mickey Mouse Riot Squad forming ranks nearby. These guys can really ruin your day:

Polish-Mickey-Riot-Police.jpg

I think it's pretty clear from this thread that the other Mini Corps competitors respect SU and look forward to the challenge that they present each year.

A wayward fan or two is not going to slow down MCA!!!!!!!!

Well.......here's what I have to say about that (in my best Forest Gump voice). Wheather or not you liked SU's show is your personal opinion. Tastes do vary ya know.

Bottom line (in MY best voice).....EXCELLANCE MUST BE REWARDED...and it was.

Congrats on your 3rd Win. (from one who knows what it takes to get there)

Edited by melligene

My scarf!

I forgot my scarf!

Amber...where can I get a scarf?

My scarf!

I forgot my scarf!

Amber...where can I get a scarf?

Joey - I am checking into it for you. I know we have some to sell. I imagine they'll be available in the online "Star Store." Let me verify and I'll send you the link.

Thanks for the support! Sorry we missed you at the busses!

Amber