Star United and the Finals Exhibition

If you mean how many people currently make at least 70% of their income from performing as a musician, not as an educator....

By my count, that number would be... Zero.

If you mean, how many people at one time or another in their life have made at least 70% of their income in a year from playing, the number rises to

Out of 21.

I have heard this argument bandied about by many folks, including people I know personally.

That we are all ringers.

Professionals.

Blast cast members.

Paid by Bill Cook.

On a mission from G-D.

Whatever...

All I know is that, the two guys in the line this year, write the fingerings in on their music, because they cannot read music.

Star United provides a high level of quality at all times from good old fashioned sweat equity.

You know, hard work.

Adherence to the program.

Member commitment.

The exact same things that all drum and bugle corps who are successful in either DCI or DCA or VFW or whatever the heck you want to call it have always done.

So for those of you who love what we do, Thanks for the accolades.

But we need to give a huge thank you to the people who flicked us off and yelled stupid crap at us during our performances.

That kind of s*%t gives us a chubby!

If we make you feel upset/uncomfortable enough to yell at us or risk your own bodily harm from flipping the bird (Hornline ogre will be dispatched).........

Then we are doing exactly what we should be doing.

For DCA. For Star. For ourselves.

See you next year!

WAY TO GO JEFF!!!! I applaud you, and all of your fellow corps members for kicking the #### out of your routine, and giving me a chubby as well!!!

You keep doing what you do, bring it back next year, and we will ALL be bring our "A-GAME" to try to knock you off, fair and square. Another championship for Star United WELL DESERVED!!! :thumbup:

My best to you and Star United, Jeff.........see you next year!!!

(And it was GREAT to chat with you outside the bar Friday at the Clarion!!!)

Edited by FPonzo

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DCA is evolving. If you don't like it, move on to the Alumni shows on Sunday morning.

Ok.....so far, I have agreed with everything you have said regarding Star and the ignorant Star Haters.....

But....

This statement you made is just as ignorant!!!! :thumbup::music::music:

How many professional musicians are in Star?..............bueller.............bueller...........

None...some of them were in the drum corps and also participated in Blast at one point in time, but I don't believe any of them are now playing professionally for their primary income. Who cares if a corps happens to have alumni who became professionals anyway? If the Crossmen had an alumni group participating would that mean that Al Chez would not be allowed to participate? Secondly, I didn't realize that alumni groups were to be discouraged from participating in DCA. How is Star United any more of a "DCI faction" than any other alumni group? Get over yourself.

I think more people need to go to DCA since it is obvious that many people have not been a part of the activities. Crossmen DO have an alumni group that is not really affiliated with the corps, but are Crossmen Xtreme!

Everybody mark your calendars for Labor Day next year. It is a great adult event and it is even family friendly. Great place to visit with Niagra Falls, Great Lakes and Outstate New York being as beautiful as it is. Wineries anyone?

BT

Thanks to everyone who came out to the show. Thank you also for the kind words about Mass Brass.

On a different note, this thread seems eerily similar to the threads from years past where the mini corps proceed to eat their young...at least until the start of football season...hmmm

Thanks to everyone who came out to the show. Thank you also for the kind words about Mass Brass.

I believe I had the honor of meeting you while you and Sean (Star United) were talking. Wish I could of had the

chance to have seen your performance. I heard nothing but great things.

Pay for play = Professional

Just because a guy gets paid to referee a local winter basketball league ten times year does not make him a professional referee.

In my mind, the same goes for Musicians.

I think that what has happened over time is that people identify as professionals when what they mean is professional-level.

But, if it makes people feel who play for pay several times a year to identify as "professional", then more power to them.

I am sorry if you still feel insulted. But if my explanation of my use of language doesn't help, then there is nothing more I can do to make it better.

P.S.

Being a music educator has nothing to do with the quality of a player. As a professional player you should know that.

I will again use the basketball example.

Jeff Van Gundy was a very good basketball coach/educator.

But if you were putting together a basketball team for the Olympics, you wouldn't have him playing on it.

P.S.

Being a music educator has nothing to do with the quality of a player. As a professional player you should know that.

more insults,..................?

I will again use the basketball example.

Jeff Van Gundy was a very good basketball coach/educator.

But if you were putting together a basketball team for the Olympics, you wouldn't have him playing on it.

..........at the Olympics, is it fair for the Irish national team to have to play Kobe, Shaq and the boys?

Edited by Gary Matczak

more insults,..................?

..........at the Olympics, is it fair for the Irish national team to have to play Kobe, Shaq and the boys?

If the Irish National team gets paid to do it, then yes.

Before the USA started using pros on the Olympic Hockey Team or Basketball Team, The Soviet Union use to come to the Olympics and use their professionally paid Hockey Team and kick the siht out of everyone. So what did we do? We fought fire with fire, and used our basketball pros in I think 1984 when we put out the "Dream Team" and proceeded to kick the siht out of everyone as well.

Nothing wrong with it......IMHO

Now....if someone can figure out a way to beat Star at their game, then the world will be balanced again. But until then.......KICK OUR ASESS STAR!!!!!! :thumbup:

(Edited to use all the letters I needed in the mispelled words to get my point across while using the same letters needed)

Edited by FPonzo