Poll: Does show design affect recruitment?

Does show design affect recruitment?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Does show design affect recruitment?

• Yes
    • No

It doesn't matter what tunes you play or what kind of drill moves you make. You need to be able to have a show that ties everything in - from music to drill to body movement to color guard equipment, etc. The best shows, whether drum corps or band, do that.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that, for me, show design is not a high priority, if by "show design" you mean an overall philosophy going into that season's offering. As mentioned, certain corps have strongly established identities that can affect how much someone wants (or doesn't want) to march there, and that may over-ride the year-to-year fluctuations.

A corps' culture and organization are much more important effects on my desire to be a member or not of certain groups. Some I have experienced first-hand, others come across in how those members represent it, some others come out in how the corps represents itself on the field, either in competition or in a rehearsal.

Some groups will be great fits with one's personality, and others will be terrible fits.

I've mostly played jazz-based shows, sometimes with a latin tinge to them. That just matches my personal style. However, I don't feel like I have to find a corps that plays that style to enjoy it. OTOH, if I think I'll like a corps and after being there a while, I find that the corps' org culture rubs me the wrong way, it can diminish my enjoyment. If it's diminished enough, I could leave. (Assuming I haven't passed the point-of-no-return. Hopefully, I can find that out before it's too late.)

It's as simple as that.

I don't think show design and musical selection/styles should be confused. To me the show design would include, theme and pacing of the show. I think if the staff has the ability they should be able to take just about any musical style/piece and design it into something either enjoyable to perform and/or entertaining for the audience.

Funny that most of the people responding to this thread are Renegades or have been at some point in time. This was my first year. I did Renegades because my friends from RCR were doing it. I knew going into it that we were going to play something "evil"... I would not expect anything different. I don't have any other choices for a corps to march in because there is no way I would travel any farther.

I think show design would only effect the person who cares about it so much they would rather not march and perform. Although, I don't think the show designed came to the full conclusion intended this season... I had a f'n great time and I will be back next year. So I guess for me choosing to march in the only corps available to me, I would say show design is very far at the bottom of my list of concerns in choosing to march. My friends are there, we have fun, we play well together, the cost is actually more than I can afford but oh well, and the travel and time commitment can be a drag but once I am there, it is about the people I am around and the good time that I am having.

So if a corps was known for the most amazing shows and placed well every single year but everybody (members/staff) there was a phallus I would not march there.

See, people INSIDE drum corps will pick a corps based on reputation, style, program, design, staff, etc. We all know what that's about.

People wanting to join for the first time basically need someone to bring them there. They need to have a positive experience from someone on the inside that will get them out to the open house, to the winter camps. I was brought to Cabs by the drum major from 2006 and some of his band staff who were marching members. They got me there, and then they kept me around long enough to convince me to go through with the season. It's a personal connection, not a design connection. I think design comes near last in getting new-to-drum corps people into your corps.

E: and for the record, Latin music rocks.

Edited by faramirtook

Personally, I feel that it's less about WHAT you're doing than HOW it's being done. The way that show design is going, it's not as much about the actual song...it's more about how it's used, how it's written, and the creativity put into the overall programming.

I think that people just want to march a corps where they can feel confident that every year the staff is going to give them the best possible vehicle to showcase their talents and put them in a position to succeed.

So, yes...I do feel that show design has an effect not only on recruitment, but retention after the recruit has been there once. Just my opinion.

Personally, I feel that it's less about WHAT you're doing than HOW it's being done. The way that show design is going, it's not as much about the actual song...it's more about how it's used, how it's written, and the creativity put into the overall programming.

I think that people just want to march a corps where they can feel confident that every year the staff is going to give them the best possible vehicle to showcase their talents and put them in a position to succeed.

So, yes...I do feel that show design has an effect not only on recruitment, but retention after the recruit has been there once. Just my opinion.

this maybe totally off topic but oh well just noticed you were from Fusion Core and wanted to say congrats on your finals performance and placement!!!!!!

I'd say that, for me, show design is not a high priority, if by "show design" you mean an overall philosophy going into that season's offering. As mentioned, certain corps have strongly established identities that can affect how much someone wants (or doesn't want) to march there, and that may over-ride the year-to-year fluctuations.

A corps' culture and organization are much more important effects on my desire to be a member or not of certain groups. Some I have experienced first-hand, others come across in how those members represent it, some others come out in how the corps represents itself on the field, either in competition or in a rehearsal.

Some groups will be great fits with one's personality, and others will be terrible fits.

I've mostly played jazz-based shows, sometimes with a latin tinge to them. That just matches my personal style. However, I don't feel like I have to find a corps that plays that style to enjoy it. OTOH, if I think I'll like a corps and after being there a while, I find that the corps' org culture rubs me the wrong way, it can diminish my enjoyment. If it's diminished enough, I could leave. (Assuming I haven't passed the point-of-no-return. Hopefully, I can find that out before it's too late.)

It's as simple as that.

Well put! You pretty much said exactly what I would have! I recruit for the Cabs on the off season. Don't have to sell Latin. Cabs sell that in name alone. From my encounters with potential recruits, they are always looking at what they will get out of a season with the Cabs. They never question what music we play. But I will agree to some extent some people even look past the uniform and the music and ask "WHO" is captioning a certain section. Be it percussion, brass, guard or visual. A good sign they are looking for a good experience. The show design in itself, not so much. More who designed it, and who is teaching it. I believe Chris Kilian hit a bit on this too.

Edited by JKatzmellophone

As you did so excellently with Fusion Core this past summer. I think that is a positive direction for that corps.

Excellent work young man!

Donny