Panel Doubling

What are your thoughts in regard to panel doubling?

Do you like how doubled panels eliminate ties and create tiny margins of victory?

Do you think they should start doubling the brass judge, one on the field and one in the box?

Many people on this forum have wondered aloud if having a brass judge on the field allows corps to hide more dirt/bad tone quality than it should. Would a brass judge off the field help eliminate some moments of bad tone quality that are only heard from the stands?

Or if a Individual vis judge should be doubled ON the field to catch more levels of difficulty and dirt that the corps is displaying?

It seems odd that a smaller corps (open class maybe) with 75 members is judged with the same number of feet judges as a big corps of 150 people. Perhaps with the increase in numbers we should increase the eyes on the field, like we do with staffing corps or marching bands?

Discuss.

Edited by pinkskittles

Here's the DCI.org article on the double Effect panel.

Cost would be a major consideration of doubling other captions other than Effect at the major shows.

There should just be a judge following every single member of the corps. NO hiding

:sad:

I’m happy with the current, full panels for judging.

And no, I never thought that a judge could miss horn line dirt by being on the field

Not bothered by the small margins or spreads either

Dirty feet stick out, I’d say even more when there are more feet

Levels of visual difficulty, you have to be kidding, right? I mean really?

Why do you ask these adsurd questions?

Can you support any of your quarries with specific example?

There should just be a judge following every single member of the corps. NO hiding

Better yet, take the judges out altogether by giving each musical member a mic, and feed the entire score into a computer. Let the computer decide if each individual is actually doing what the score indicates. With extrapolation, uniformity could be judged from that data.

Corps could feed data to the "Judge Computer" about their goals with timbre, providing spectral analysis limits, so the JC could differentiate BD from Phantom.

Feed in the drill too. Use GPS for each marcher.

The JC could also judge ensemble by using the 3-dimensional coordinates of the "target" in the stands. ("If the snare drum #3 hit the drum at this point in time, and he's on the filed here, and the target is here, and the weather is XYZ, then his soound would reach the target in X seconds.")

I can only dream of a JC...

I’m happy with the current, full panels for judging.

And no, I never thought that a judge could miss horn line dirt by being on the field

Not bothered by the small margins or spreads either

Dirty feet stick out, I’d say even more when there are more feet

Levels of visual difficulty, you have to be kidding, right? I mean really?

Can you support any of your quarries with specific example?

A judge can only give so much individual attention to the marchers, and in a larger corps this amount is a smaller percentage of what is actually going on than in a smaller corps. So why not double that panel to even things out?

People are also claiming to have heard crass moments in high scoring brasslines, but these moments are possibly missed by the field brass judge due to his location on the field. having an ensemble brass judge in the stands might eliminate these happenings.

And no, I am not kidding about levels of difficulty. Current DCI members are moving very well, smooth upper bodies and keeping volume and good tone while maintaining simultaneous difficulties of different marching styles/choreoraphy. It isnt easy, cowtown. Maybe you thought it was?

and.. adsurd?

I've always felt the only absurd question is the one wondered but not asked.

People are also claiming to have heard crass moments in high scoring brasslines, but these moments are possibly missed by the field brass judge due to his location on the field. having an ensemble brass judge in the stands might eliminate these happenings.

There is a Music Ensemble judge already.