Need help-------Legal or not legal

a corps making a big deal of playing themselves on better have all their timing ducks in a row... obviously those who did it, did...

there was one instance where the corps coming on and the corps coming off both used a bass drum beat... and we had dueling bass drum lines which I found somewhat bothersome...

When the chief judge gives the order for the next corps to come on... if the corps leaving is not quite done, I believe a simple tap is in order on the part of the departing corps...

Not to start any controversy... but I kind of liked "the way it was"... the corps LEAVING would play the street beat and you would come on to their beat... you could only start your beat after they stopped... That was dropped when we had to stop trooping the stands... an unfortunate, but VERY necessary thing we had to do for many reasons.

We hated following Cabs cause their street beat leaving was ALWAYS very fast...

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never marched with the Hurcs, but I heard the Downfall of Paris so many times I could probably play it in my sleep. That's the cool thing about streetbeats. When the battery cranks up you KNOW who's coming. :innocent:

a corps making a big deal of playing themselves on better have all their timing ducks in a row... obviously those who did it, did...

there was one instance where the corps coming on and the corps coming off both used a bass drum beat... and we had dueling bass drum lines which I found somewhat bothersome...

When the chief judge gives the order for the next corps to come on... if the corps leaving is not quite done, I believe a simple tap is in order on the part of the departing corps...

Not to start any controversy... but I kind of liked "the way it was"... the corps LEAVING would play the street beat and you would come on to their beat... you could only start your beat after they stopped... That was dropped when we had to stop trooping the stands... an unfortunate, but VERY necessary thing we had to do for many reasons.

We hated following Cabs cause their street beat leaving was ALWAYS very fast...

one corps coming off using a their own bass drum beat might be odd except that one particular corps bass drum beat isnt simply a straight beat and has a special significance since only they march to it and it is like a signature. Cabs street beat is always fast... until it slows down.

I hope nothing more gets taken away... I care more for seeing each corps play themselves off than for seeing victory concerts for example.

Edited by BeinGreen

DCA has always had the long standing tradition of the corps'playing their street beat onto the field. DM gives the command... battery gives 4SLAMS ..Corps does a BATTLE CRY! and off you go.... chills just thinking of playing Downfall onto the field with Hurcs,

And off the field was always a tap .. cadence only when trooping the stands.. then the CJudge will tell the oncoming corps to pick up the corps that is leaving cadence to march onto...

Hi Vic, it was nice to see you where the wild west wagons were circled, dam that made me want to play!

So, whose battery gave 4 slams? lol, I remember that all too well! hype going onto the field the bolts played not a cadence but the horse hoof snare cross stick bit with bass drum beat from Hang Em High, probably many dont realize what they are doing, doesnt matter, its hype for the members. That completely got me primed for the performance. going off the field it was simply the Hang Em bass beat. Thanks to Bernie & Co. for maintaining the little traditions that give DCA identity.

Edited by BeinGreen

I guess you can call us coming on to the field at Finals a 'tap.'

Talk about a great hype when you are coming onto the field.

I think the best Space Invaders I ever heard was in 2005 when we played our Russian show...especially with Chris and Kris leading us onto the field in their Russian-Style general uniforms...I really felt like a Russian soldier for a minute there. It sounded like an army marching gestapo-style, going off to battle. GREAT hype. :innocent:

Edited by bumo27

This is all pretty much at the discretion of the Chief Judge. Typically, we allow corps to play a cadence coming on and play a tap going off. Unless they troop the stands, then they play a cadence through that. But again, that's a show day call made by the chief judge.

No penalty:

When the chief judge indicates he is ready you come on. Street beat if you want.

You have 6 minutes and must be ready to start. During the 6 minutes you have the right to do a ONE minute warm up.

If you were to interfere in anyway with the Corps leaving well then a penalty might come.

Hope this helps, Glenn is in charge of rules he might explain it better than I did.

I guess you can call us coming on to the field at Finals a 'tap.'

Talk about a great hype when you are coming onto the field.

actually i love the Bush bass beat. Simple, but a tradition nonetheless

I also love watching corps try to ,arch to put beat, either coming on or at retreats. Downbeats are over rated :bigsmile:

what would be really cool is if there were tabs above the text box for music notation entries so we could post up what it is we are referring too sometimes

One of my most memorable Alumni Spectacular moments occurred the last year DCA was in Scranton. Sky Alumni emerged from behind the backfield backdrop with that massive snare line playing the traditional Sky Street Beat. The crowd went nuts before the corps even stepped on the field.

Oh man..... that was awesome!!! We were sitting in the upper deck... you could hear that street beat echoing off the back wall and the mountain behind that wall. You definitely knew that SKY was in the house!!

Fran