1960 Skyliner "Puttin' On the Ritz"

Well the besides the prop job airplane going overhead.... :cool:

Seriously I bought one of the Fleetwood CDs at DCA and playing it now via headphones. 1960 show has "Putting On the Ritz" as I guess concert number and there are two solos. First one is a sop and second one just comes blasting thru so much I can't tell what horn it is. Not sure what horns were in use during that time so makes it harder. Sounds like mid voice or tenor Bari, but like I said, guy is just blasting away so the sound is kind of distorted.

Yeah, me with another DC mystery...

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the besides the prop job airplane going overhead.... :cool:

Seriously I bought one of the Fleetwood CDs at DCA and playing it now via headphones. 1960 show has "Putting On the Ritz" as I guess concert number and there are two solos. First one is a sop and second one just comes blasting thru so much I can't tell what horn it is. Not sure what horns were in use during that time so makes it harder. Sounds like mid voice or tenor Bari, but like I said, guy is just blasting away so the sound is kind of distorted.

Yeah, me with another DC mystery...

Might be Pepe on french horn?

Might be Pepe on french horn?

HY ... Pepe was still playing sop ...

:-)

HY ... Pepe was still playing sop ...

Yeah, rip-roarin' Frenchie solo!

Just looked at Hy's chart. Top's out at high "A"s, and "G#"s (slip slide, on a G/D horn). Kinda similar solo in "Skyliner" a couple of years later.

That was Hy again on solo, in '62 and/or '63, Andy, no?

Bill Moore

Just looked at Hy's chart. Top's out at high "A"s, and "G#"s (slip slide, on a G/D horn).

On this classic recording (Fleetwood even released it on a 45 !!!) you can hear the fans HY-ing.

Overblown ??? Hy and Pepe would insist, in critiques, that a French Horn was SUPPOSED to sound like that.

[bill, High G# is the 17th harmonic on the piston side of a G-D Conn FH. Don't need no steenkin' slip-slide.]

Just looked at Hy's chart. Top's out at high "A"s, and "G#"s (slip slide, on a G/D horn). Kinda similar solo in "Skyliner" a couple of years later.

That was Hy again on solo, in '62 and/or '63, Andy, no?

Bill Moore

62 ... captured forever on the Portrait in Brass album along with solos by Swan, Martin, Hazelwood and Simpson ... a classic recording is ever there was one ...

62 ... captured forever on the Portrait in Brass album along with solos by Swan, Martin, Hazelwood and Simpson ... a classic recording is ever there was one ...

I was at Greenwood Lake the day they made that recording ( The day AFTER Andre's and the m/c club!). I seem to recall Pepe doing the solo in Skyliner for the taping. If you had seen Harry's lip that day you would scratch your head wondering how he managed to play his solos that well.

Ray

Oh I never said the solo was "overblown". :tongue: But picture sitting at your work desk with the headphones on and THAT bores into your skull. :cool: LOL, playing Sky in CD format ona CD. Something never even dreamed of in a Sci Fi movie. :smile:

And *DOH* to myself for forgetting that this was the slip-slide era. Will have to listen again with that in mind. Like I need an excuse to crank this up again. :w00t:

And I never knew Hy played Frenchie.. or Pepe played sop.

Thanks all.

I was at Greenwood Lake the day they made that recording ( The day AFTER Andre's and the m/c club!). I seem to recall Pepe doing the solo in Skyliner for the taping. If you had seen Harry's lip that day you would scratch your head wondering how he managed to play his solos that well.

Ray

Ray ... I talked it over with Bucky and he's sure that it was Hy ... he even noted the differences in their playing style ... maybe they did a couple of takes ... we'll have to ask him again on Sunday ...

Whether it is Hy or Pepe...it is an odd number of bars and counts in that solo as well.

I dont know how Hy played. It just sounds like Pepe to me.

Donny